Back and still addicted to the Classic.

My fixed blade knives are in my rig, not on my person for EDC.

Edited to add, if I'm hiking/camping, I do have a fixed blade on or in my daypack as well as the SAK and folder in pockets. I just don't do some of the bushcraft stuff that some guys/gals do as a hobby. I don't make spoons, build shelters, make feather sticks, baton wood (I keep a few small hatchets for that), or tent stakes (I sleep in the rig). I can do all of these things but don't any longer. Live light on the land, sleep in the rig, and all that crap. ;)

Last edited:
It's just a tragedy of almost epic proportions that we didn't realize this in our 20's. I think of all the time wasted,

The same can be said of many aspects of life. My 20s aren't all that far behind me and it's amazing what doesn't bother me now. Things that would have sent me into a rage just a few years ago I shrug off. 🤷‍♂️ I've heard that the great gift of middle age is indifference, not quite there just yet, but I'm finding it to be mostly true.

I still carry a lock blade most of the time. I'm well aware that I could get by without one, but honestly I still enjoy knives too much to go with just a victorinox.*

*It would have to be at least an 84mm. The 58s are a bit anemic to dress a bull rope with, plus I like to cut my apples. I've said it before, when or if I'm ever able to retire, a rethinking of my carry will likely be in order.

Victorinox makes best edc knives ,period.Classic is great edc knife,but their 111mm and 130mm knives make excellent food and everything else cutting blades,along with tools they come with.Their steel is pretty good,easy to sharpen on anything in second and blades have excellent geometry made to cut.They are made for real world use.In my book best edc knives.

Last edited:
So today I decided to retire the faithful Classic that lives in my right front pocket permanently. Reason is that it dawned on me that this exact Classic was in my pocket the day my son was born. It now has sentimental value and I don’t want to lose it. It will be kept for him and I will give it to him when he has the right age for a small pocket knife.

I will replace it for myself with either a new Classic or a Rally. I think I have more use for a cap lifter/Philips than scissors.

So today I decided to retire the faithful Classic that lives in my right front pocket permanently. Reason is that it dawned on me that this exact Classic was in my pocket the day my son was born. It now has sentimental value and I don’t want to lose it. It will be kept for him and I will give it to him when he has the right age for a small pocket knife.

I will replace it for myself with either a new Classic or a Rally. I think I have more use for a cap lifter/Philips than scissors.
Ever think about a Rambler? I just got one and it is a jim dandy,

Ever think about a Rambler? I just got one and it is a jim dandy,
I’m not much of a scissors user to be honest. On the Classic I didn’t use the scissors a whole lot. The pen blade and SD tip are what makes a 58mm great to me. For that reason I don’t see a reason to buy a Rambler when I can buy a Rally for half the price.

I’m not much of a scissors user to be honest. On the Classic I didn’t use the scissors a whole lot. The pen blade and SD tip are what makes a 58mm great to me. For that reason I don’t see a reason to buy a Rambler when I can buy a Rally for half the price.
SAK is about scissors, nail file and the little tools for me. Different strokes for different folks is the way that song goes.

I’ve taken to wearing an Alox Classic as a neck knife. It’s so light and thin, it’s unnoticeable. I think it makes a great “always on me” knife. I might try a rambler, Exec 81, or an alox mini champ in this role to expand the tool set.

I’m currently using a paracord and mini clasp so I can detach it. I’ll probably switch the cord out for leather shoelace at some point.

I have a new job that takes me overseas for long periods. Knife laws vary considerably but I figure the classic should be fine just about anywhere except airports. I asked for and received a fantastic red one for my birthday this week for this duty. I am well acquainted with small knives from my very frequent peanut carry, so I know it will serve my purposes well. I really wanted the scissors, file, and tweezers so the classic was a perfect fit. It’s also not a major loss of some customs agent feels I’ve committed the unthinkable.

I borrowed my daughter’s classic for a recent backpacking/fishing trip. It was a great companion for that adventure so I have no doubts it will handle my needs on my travels. View attachment 2379698
Hey there! I’m the happy owner of that exact same set-up, complete with official Vic lanyard. It’s the frequent travel companion of my everyday carry duo: Manager and Fenix E01 V2.0.

Hey there! I’m the happy owner of that exact same set-up, complete with official Vic lanyard. It’s the frequent travel companion of my everyday carry duo: Manager and Fenix E01 V2.0.

The Fenix E01v2.0. is my daily carry and travel light. If I had not "lost" my old E01, I would not have discovered it. The E01 had come off my keyring due to a faulty quick release hook, and when I went to order another one, I found they had been discontinued. So I bit on the replacement, the E01v2.0.

I was not disappointed. I didn't think I would have liked the variable power as much as I do, but there it is. Most the time I just use the low setting in comes on with, but walking the dog her last walk of the night, its nice to have a nice bright light that reaches out and lights up the wooded pathway.

The classic, Little Fenix, are my absolutely never do without carry. They may get augmented now than then, but never, NEVER, replaced.

Hello Mr Jackknife. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Your posts on this forum are always informative, entertaining and often thought provoking. You are a highly compelling observer.
I am very pleased with this “new version” of the Fenix. They have managed, with the addition of variable output, to improve upon a product which was already top notch. The Fenix is dependable, easy to use and light as a feather. I never leave the house without it.
Happy holidays to you, sir!

Hello Mr Jackknife. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Your posts on this forum are always informative, entertaining and often thought provoking. You are a highly compelling observer.
I am very pleased with this “new version” of the Fenix. They have managed, with the addition of variable output, to improve upon a product which was already top notch. The Fenix is dependable, easy to use and light as a feather. I never leave the house without it.
Happy holidays to you, sir!

You're very welcome!

I carried an. old and much beat up E01 for many years. The black finish was worn off, the checkering worn down, and most of all, the keyring mounting was almost worn through from so many years dangling from the carabiner that my keyring hangs from on my left hip belt loop. When I thought I had lost it, I was actually upset way out of proportion to the item, it had been with me soooo long. No, it would not sear the retnas out of treed raccoon at a hundred yards, or induce night blindness on some felon, but then I never needed that. The old Fenix E01 had enough light to see a dropped item in a dark movie theater, see the path in the woods on my last dog walk of the night clear enough not to trip over a tree root, or when doing the senior citizen 2am pee call in the dark, it got me to the bathroom without turning on any lights waking my better half.

That new one, is just as useful on its low setting, but it is nice if needed, (just in case off...) to have a little more light on tap if I don't have my AA LED mini Maglight in my pocket with all its 200 something lumens.

The fenix is all you say it is; reliable, easy to use, (I love that it comes on in its lowest setting) and so light it doesn't weigh down the keyring. If it takes a beating over the long period of years that my old E01 did, I'll have no complaints.

And happy holidays to you and all!

I gave my daughter a classic a few years ago and she mentioned she'd lost it.

I just got her another one to sneak in her stocking.

OLIGHT I1R 2 EOS 150 Lumens Micro Rechargeable LED is what i carry on keychain along with small knife,it never let me down,and is easily replaced if it breaks down or get lost.Have been using it for 2 years and is worth every penny.​

OLIGHT I1R 2 EOS 150 Lumens Micro Rechargeable LED is what i carry on keychain along with small knife,it never let me down,and is easily replaced if it breaks down or get lost.Have been using it for 2 years and is worth every penny.​

A sharp blade, dependable light…maybe throw in a Bic mini lighter and you are ready for anything!

Back