bears and other large critters

I've read and heard a few bear stories myself, but most of the ones I've heard are caused by people doing dumb things - not by an agressive bear. Case in point:

In the Smokey Mts a few years ago a family of tourists were having a picnic in the woods when a bear decided to join them. The bear was not aggressive at all, it just wanted some food. Well the tourists waddled away and watched the bear enjoy his meal. The bear seemed docile enought so gradualy they moved closer and began taking pictures of each other standing near the bear. Then, one woman decided it would be so cute to have a picture of the bear licking her babys hand. So she took some honey and smeared it on the baby's hand and held the baby towards the bear while everyone else got their camras ready. The bear did not understand the concept of licking honey off of a babys hand so he bit off the hand.

Sure makes you wonder...

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

stryver:
I would want to make sure that the spearhead is attached firmly, preferably permanantly. I would also make sure that the wood used is resilient as well as stout. If the wood is too fragile is could break prematurely with the shock of impact, not penetrating as deeply as it could if it has some flex. If you make one, I sincerely hope you never have to use it on a grizzly or moose, especially because they grow bigger up there.
Sgt. Fred(Inactive)

[This message has been edited by Sgt. Fred (edited 01-06-2000).]

I usually carry a liberal supply of bunny huggers to throw at the charging beast. If that fails I usually resort to pulling their sharp tongues to use as daggers. Forgive my use of the term "liberal" as an ambidextrous metaphor (I hope that makes sense). Sorry for the comic relief, I just couldn't help myself.

[This message has been edited by Barry L. Schuchart (edited 01-06-2000).]

I began looking into bear-protection firearms, and everyone I've talked to, along with the Alaska-board-of-whoever-publishes-such-things and (iirc) Field and Stream suggested a 12 guage with a round of buckshot for the first wild shot, and slugs backing it up for aimed power. The problem I see here, is carrying a 12 gauge. I looked up mossbergs tactical guns, and they have pistol grips at 28 inches total, but how do you carry that? Most of what I plan on doing is light (1-2 day) hiking and biking, and maybe some canoeing and fishing.

Stryver, who wonders if he'd ever use an 18 1/2 inch shotgun for anything else...

If you think you need a shotgun, go to www.ithacagun.com and check out what they have. Ithaca has long been know to manufacture the lightest shotguns around. I have one myself that I deerhunt and shoot clays with and I absolutely love it! You can outfit it with a sling, and you should be just fine. I would reemphasize, however, that as long as you take some precautions such as cooking and dishwashing away from you campsite and hanging all food (really even toothpaste, soap, and a lot of other things you might not think of) in a bear bag well away from camp you should have no trouble with bears. They really just want the food and would just as soon avoid you all together. Most bear related incidents are more a result of stupid humans than aggressive bears! But, I am beating a dead horse.
smile.gif

JHall:
I do not disagree with the avoidance of bears, but in a state where two of the three bear species occasionally use people as prey, and the third has listed on it's favorite list of food the same fish I intend on seeking, I figure that having protection and never using it is better than anything else. I have no intention of being silly, and asking bears to come into my camp, nor do I have any intention of wandering up and petting the 'cute little bear cub'. But I do intend on going out by myself, for a day or so anyways, into relatively untamed wilderness, and dislike being the second or third rung down on the food chain.

Know also that the first action done by Alaska in a self-defense bear killing is stage an investigation to see if you were justified in killing it. If you were, all they ask is that when you kill it, you slavage the skin and skull, and turn it in. If you weren't, it's prosecuted as stupidity and poaching.

Stryver

Back