Becker Grails.

I think of all of them, the BK-5. I have two.
Most used/useful? BK-16 and BK-9. I liked the 29 (or was it 20?) quite a bit, but also sold it. The 21 does the chopping around the house.

No Patrol Machetes for me. BK29 or 20 and any BK1 will satisfy me in Beckerdom.
*Selling on this site is restricted to the appropriate designated forums. Don't list sales threads outside the Exchange, especially without the appropriate membership.*

Last edited by a moderator:
My kid has that knife, so it isn’t readily available. The scales are the same as in this pic, but they’re blue instead of black…
9OmU9jk.jpg
Where might one find scales like this?

I think of all of them, the BK-5. I have two.
Most used/useful? BK-16 and BK-9. I liked the 29 (or was it 20?) quite a bit, but also sold it. The 21 does the chopping around the house.
Did you reprofile the edge on your 21?

Oh, yes!
The concave edges I've seen from Ka-Bar are rather obtuse. They basically need an aggressive re-sharpening.
I need to reprofile mine. Not too good at sharpening though. I always thought the 21 was kinda hit and miss when it comes to chopping. One hit would bite in deep, the next seemed to bounce off the wood, and create shock in the wrist. That's why I got rid of my 21. Of course, I had to have another, I got from Creaky Bones Creaky Bones :

Be more expensive though. I'm satisfied with the 1095CV, I think it works great. That said, I do understand that people like other steels.

I wouldnt say “grails” as much as “Id like to get eventually” Beckers.
I missed out on the BK-6 Patrol Machete, the BK-17 Short Clip Point and the BK-20 Bundock Bowie, and I would eventually like to scrounge up one of each.

Funny thing about grails...just like in the film, they're not always what they seem, and each seeker sees something different. I thought for a while I wanted a Brute, got one, realized why E never liked them, then did my best to put a cutting edge on the thing. Now, it actually works; prolly even chop through bone in a single stroke - which is about all these broken shoulders can swing that thing. Is it efficient? Hell, no. Is it fun? Out of the box, again, hell no - if you manage to get one that hasn't had an edge put on it and you've a mind to use it, you have a LOT of steel to start getting at. Same thing with the Patrol Machete - too heavy to swing much, with a blade shape MUCH better suited to the Machax - which is a blade I had no particular desire to own, bought one anyway to help out a fellow 'Head and fell almost instantly in love. Same with the 15 - didn't think I'd like it, bought one for the tweener micarta it came with and again, now I have four. I'd really only like a BK-77 cuz it wouldn't rust in my salt air environment, but the 7 ain't the King. I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned the BK-12 (RSK) made by Rowen. That model is one of my faves for all round heavy duty use. No knock on KB, but Rowen's HT on their 1095 is excellent, it's longer and imo just as capable as the Campanion, lighter and thinner and I kinda like the thumb ramp and the ergonomics that brings. Hmmm...it certainly has been a while since my last family photo....

Funny thing about grails...just like in the film, they're not always what they seem, and each seeker sees something different. I thought for a while I wanted a Brute, got one, realized why E never liked them, then did my best to put a cutting edge on the thing. Now, it actually works; prolly even chop through bone in a single stroke - which is about all these broken shoulders can swing that thing. Is it efficient? Hell, no. Is it fun? Out of the box, again, hell no - if you manage to get one that hasn't had an edge put on it and you've a mind to use it, you have a LOT of steel to start getting at. Same thing with the Patrol Machete - too heavy to swing much, with a blade shape MUCH better suited to the Machax - which is a blade I had no particular desire to own, bought one anyway to help out a fellow 'Head and fell almost instantly in love. Same with the 15 - didn't think I'd like it, bought one for the tweener micarta it came with and again, now I have four. I'd really only like a BK-77 cuz it wouldn't rust in my salt air environment, but the 7 ain't the King. I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned the BK-12 (RSK) made by Rowen. That model is one of my faves for all round heavy duty use. No knock on KB, but Rowen's HT on their 1095 is excellent, it's longer and imo just as capable as the Campanion, lighter and thinner and I kinda like the thumb ramp and the ergonomics that brings. Hmmm...it certainly has been a while since my last family photo....
Becker family photos are always good.

Becker family photos are always good.
Problem is, my family has many - and here I will admit to no small amount of personal struggles with this - many, many members, much like a different Python movie...and, while some of them are readily available, a good number are not. Most of my Beckers are on or in any number of packs, B.O.B.'s, truck or tool boxes; nearly all have been used or modified (at least a half dozen are unavailable due to various, um, pokers in the fire - ok, they are naked, waiting for cosmetic surgery) and the ones that haven't actually pain me a bit to look at. Perhaps I can corral the will to gather what I am able...

Problem is, my family has many - and here I will admit to no small amount of personal struggles with this - many, many members, much like a different Python movie...and, while some of them are readily available, a good number are not. Most of my Beckers are on or in any number of packs, B.O.B.'s, truck or tool boxes; nearly all have been used or modified (at least a half dozen are unavailable due to various, um, pokers in the fire - ok, they are naked, waiting for cosmetic surgery) and the ones that haven't actually pain me a bit to look at. Perhaps I can corral the will to gather what I am able...
I understand that completely. I’d love to do a more current group shot; but, my wife has some, my kid has some, there are two in my car, some in my shed, some in my garage, and a few scattered around my house. lol

Back