Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

And she's done.

More pix in The Gallery:

IMG_20231012_073505_HDR-small.jpg

That hatchet handle leuku looks good

only one fondler for that one today!
Paring knives and Birudashi went first as they usually seem to do.
Back at it tomorrow.

One dude came through looking for a 3-muk specifically, but I think the last one was made in 2017.

Good weekend with crafty buddies, decent traffic, and enough sales at all three tables to easily justify the trouble. There were another 20 or so artists in various sites around our little town.

IMG_20231015_143203_HDR-small-cropped.jpg

That leather stacked puuko is so sweet!

Thanks!

Time to start making plans for the NCCA spring show. 6mo away.
Paring knives, hopefully some petty chefs, birudashi, and mini-kepharts. I think.
Hopefully my CNC scales connection will come through with BK-62-compatible scales and I can toss a couple more of those on the table too.

SO glad to see this thread is still going! I have been absent for a while, too many life changes recently, including a kid, job transfer, moving, and the latest, loosing half of my right hand index and middle fingers on a routine motorcycle maintenance bad habit (don't clean a chain while the rear tire is jacked and running on 1st!). Anyway...got my maker stat again and will be posting stuff for sale soon, including made by me or modded stuff. Wanted to give you guys a heads up, if you deem my stuff to be to your liking, free shipping for Beckerheads (trying to keep it US, I'm in Puerto Rico now. Any Int'l request we can work it out). I will try to post here before creating a thread on the exchange. Keep grinding:)🦾

P.D. - how do I post pics here now? haven't done it in a while.

daizee daizee have a question âť“ I have a cheap ( harbor freight) 1 x 30 belt sander. What grit belts would you recommend for cleaning up edges on stuff like Machetes axes etc. I've been running the 120 grit belts that came with it and a 40 grit for taking wood off axe, hammer handles. Would finer grits give me a better edge with less work on a stone

I use a 240 grit to set an edge.
Also, the blue zirconium belts at HF and Menards last longer than the red aluminum oxide ones for wood. You can also order ceramic belts from tru-grit, Phoenix, or combat abrasives.

Zuul!!
Welcome back! Can't wait to see what you're up to.

plumberroy plumberroy - yeah, what Vik said.
For axes I'll often use a 120 Zirc or Ceramic followed by an A100 3M Cubitron, but you won't be able to get those for a 1x30 (I don't think??). That little 1x30 is fine for brutish tool edges.

The main trick is getting the geometry you want. You can go right from a ~220 to a strop once your edge has a burr. That's a bit crude for a knife, but for an axe it'll do. I'd probably go one higher, but of course have a bunch of belts around.

I use a 240 grit to set an edge.
Also, the blue zirconium belts at HF and Menards last longer than the red aluminum oxide ones for wood. You can also order ceramic belts from tru-grit, Phoenix, or combat abrasives.

Zuul!!
Welcome back! Can't wait to see what you're up to.

plumberroy plumberroy - yeah, what Vik said.
For axes I'll often use a 120 Zirc or Ceramic followed by an A100 3M Cubitron, but you won't be able to get those for a 1x30 (I don't think??). That little 1x30 is fine for brutish tool edges.

The main trick is getting the geometry you want. You can go right from a ~220 to a strop once your edge has a burr. That's a bit crude for a knife, but for an axe it'll do. I'd probably go one higher, but of course have a bunch of belts around.
Thanks for the information. I'm playing with Machetes at the moment I bought the sander to work on axes but it's handy a lot of things around the house. I'm decent at edge geometry with axes/ hatchets.

Got my assorted pack of belts in. I put a 240 grit belt on my sander. I played with the one machete I've been tinkering with. Seemed to clean up the edge good fairly quickly

10B36 is more resistant to the hammer than leaf spring.
This is the end of my first hour.

IMG_20231027_123618584~2.jpg

Eta: 2nd hour - drew the taper back down to a shade thicker than my starting thickness.
Getting VERY sick of my 4# fiskars demo hammer.

IMG_20231027_143636648_HDR~2.jpg

ETA2: hour 3. 35" OAL, 28 blade. 3.25" at the widest - going to try for a little more, but not going to get much. Need to stretch it another 1.5".

IMG_20231027_164341233~2.jpg

Last edited:
Got my assorted pack of belts in. I put a 240 grit belt on my sander. I played with the one machete I've been tinkering with. Seemed to clean up the edge good fairly quickly

240 is kind of fancy for a machete....haha

Id probably stop at 80. :p

I was stripping the pedestal of our dining table last night. I was waiting for the first round to do it’s magic when I caught sight of my beater 16 out of the corner of my eye.

One thing led to another and it’s freshly stripped, oiled and sharpened now.

JmWNWW2.jpg

rBXMA5W.jpg

0ni1JLA.jpg

I’m not sure why it took me nearly 20 years to strip one of my Beckers, but I dig it.

Back