Benchmade 319 Proper...I like it

The 531 is a great little knife. I had a pair engraved by Benchmade for my wife and I. Mine has an amazing action. Sometimes I can get the blade to fully open just by pulling back on the Axis bar sharply (takes two hands).

F5764478-E4A1-4D68-9687-59990B1C8CE0_zpsep5briar.jpg

Very Nice!

I have a recent love affair with all things axis lock
the 940-2 and 530/531 are my favorites right now

I'm so excited about this one I had to come back and look at the pics in this thread again after ordering my red G10. It's going to be a long weekend but the good thing is we will be out of town so the time will pass quickly and when I return I should have this one and a NIB G10 mini-Barrage with blade coated S30V blade. I'm very excited for both.

I'm so excited about this one I had to come back and look at the pics in this thread again after ordering my red G10. It's going to be a long weekend but the good thing is we will be out of town so the time will pass quickly and when I return I should have this one and a NIB G10 mini-Barrage with blade coated S30V blade. I'm very excited for both.
Drat - just noticed my item is backordered but expected to arrive at REI by 6/2. Oh well.

I've heard the edge bevel is not too thin, any one know what the thickness is at the edge bevel's shoulder?
Very tempted to get one of these myself.
G2

Seems most distributors got the red ones first but it seems REI got the micarta ones first

photoman12001 photoman12001

I dont know what say except even if ur selling the crappiest knife on the planet u will make it look sexy. You've got an eye m8. Great captures and was looking for a modern slipjoint with modern materials and a premium steel. Was looking for more around 3.5 inch blade as its fits my hand better but thats deffinitelly on my list to look for.

KEEP IT UP.

OFF TOPIC: maybe i will hit u up to take a picture of me to make me look arghhhhhh so i can use. :D

I've heard the edge bevel is not too thin, any one know what the thickness is at the edge bevel's shoulder?
Very tempted to get one of these myself.
G2

It's a little difficult to measure right at the shoulder with calipers but I just got:
  • Proper: 0.0285"
  • Case Trapper clip point blade (hollow grind): 0.0155"

Thanks, that's pretty thick edged for a small blade.
G2

Haven't had a Benchmade in my pocket in a while and while I wasn't sold on the design when it was first introduced I feel like I need to give it a try.

I can't wait for the red to come off backorder. I just emailed REI and asked if they would switch my order to the micarta version which is currently in stock. If I love the knife I can always get the red G10 version later, right? :D

Great images and writeup, Photoman. I already liked the specs but now I really want to try one. Thanks.

Great review. A little large for my tastes but I'd love to see this in a smaller size.

photoman12001 photoman12001 and pcguy23 pcguy23 , the 531 is a pretty cool little knife. I have the REI version with S30V, but it's funny I never think to carry it. I generally EDC a pretty good-sized folder in the 3.5"-4" range clipped in my right front pocket. I also like to have a smaller blade in the bottom of my left front for lighter tasks or when unleashing a good-sized blade seems socially inappropriate. The 531 is perfect for that and I'll have to put it up front in one of my Benchmade drawers so I'll remember to use it.

Xdxk9Gg.jpg

Anyway, back on topic, we've been here in our Vermont woods for the last week, but before heading up I ordered a Micarta Proper for the use just mentioned above. It's waiting for me at my PO to get picked up Monday when we're back on-Cape and I'm hot to get it in hand and give it a twirl.

I am still waiting for mine but stopped by the BM booth at BLADE yesterday to check them out.

I was a bit surprised at how large they were but don't see it as an issue - just a surprise. I liked the size as it is large enough to still be practical. I love the Micarta (glad I changed my REI order from G10) and love the blade shape.

However, I was disappointed at how gritty and stiff the two I handled were - one G10 and one Micarta. I asked the rather disinterested guy and gal working that section of counter if that was normal. He shrugged and said, "Ya, pretty normal." I asked if it would loosen up and smooth out over time. "Maybe, but probably not."

Not sure which I was more disappointed with - the gritty action or the disinterested folks working the booth. I had to basically interrupt their idle chit chat with each other to even ask to see the knives in the first place.

I am still waiting for mine but stopped by the BM booth at BLADE yesterday to check them out.

I was a bit surprised at how large they were but don't see it as an issue - just a surprise. I liked the size as it is large enough to still be practical. I love the Micarta (glad I changed my REI order from G10) and love the blade shape.

However, I was disappointed at how gritty and stiff the two I handled were - one G10 and one Micarta. I asked the rather disinterested guy and gal working that section of counter if that was normal. He shrugged and said, "Ya, pretty normal." I asked if it would loosen up and smooth out over time. "Maybe, but probably not."

Not sure which I was more disappointed with - the gritty action or the disinterested folks working the booth. I had to basically interrupt their idle chit chat with each other to even ask to see the knives in the first place.

I would like to see a mini version of the Proper though I'm still liking mine. If I can stop buying other stuff I still plan to grab a micarta version as well.

The action on mine is stiff but seems to be about average to my other tradtionals. Some are stiffer than the Proper, some a little lighter. I definitely would not call the action on mine gritty. It certainly isn't as smooth as an Axis, frame, or liner lock though.

I'm sorry to hear that the factory reps snubbed you. I'd have assumed from my dealings with Benchmade that they would be pretty good to talk to in a setting like that.

Correction, micarta version has been ordered. I just checked Cabela's website and they finally have them in stock. Thanks to points I got it for $64.
Hopefully this one is as nice as my G10 version.

Back