Benchmade Bugout - Alright, why doesn't this seem to exist

The only problem (thus far) is grivory is slick at least on my schf 42 d fixed blade. On the plus side, it is very easy to dye with rit dye more.
It's a small knife. I don't really see myself tackling any task where my own grip strength won't be sufficient.

I've never understood the grip argument on small knives. You could make it out of polished stone and I'd still be very surprised if it ever slipped out of my hand.

The only thing slowing down my decision to get one is the hope of limited edition runs in a steel I'd like better.

So all y'all keep buying so I can get one in 154CM, D2, M4, M390 or N680 :D

Looks nice open but when closed its looks terrible the gap between the blade and the handle looks bad :mad:

Specs via Benchmade:
Bugout.
  • Mechanism: AXIS®
  • Action: Manual-opening
  • Blade Steel: CPMS30V (58-60 HRC)
  • Blade Length: 3.24″ (8.23cm)
  • Blade Thickness: 0.090″ (2.29mm)
  • Open Length: 7.46″ (18.95cm)
  • Closed Length: 4.22″ (10.72cm)
  • Handle Thickness: 0.42″ (10.54mm)
  • Weight: 1.85oz. (52.45g)
Personally I prefer these two If I was to throw a folder into the pack quickly:

DSCN1501_zps26a0802d.jpg

DSCN1500_zps2f11f435.jpg

And if a true "bug out" situation, I'd take a small fixed blade not a folder, probably the Bradford:

DSCN4298_zpspfgixdjt.jpg

What if you ignored the pocket clip and just carried it in your pocket?

I like a pocket clip, otherwise I need to dig in my pocket and if I am choosing a knife to purchase with my money I will tend to buy clipped tip down knives. I do own some w/o clips and one or two tip up knives as well. For loose-in-pocket the few times I do that I use a much, much smaller knife.

The only problem (thus far) is grivory is slick at least on my schf 42 d fixed blade. On the plus side, it is very easy to dye with rit dye more.

Grivory can be super grippy, the HK Patrol/BM Cashbah has a grivory handle and the texture on it is super, duper aggressive. Like pants shreddingly aggressive. Being plastic though I doubt it has much inherent grip and relies on the textures.

From what I understand, the Bugout is aimed at the backpacking crowd. As a super light knife with a 3 1/4 inch blade, it should work quite well.

Just watched Nick's review yesterday, and my interest, which was moderate, quickly fizzled.
Why?
Squishy-scales.
I don't object to FRN or even rigid plastic on a lightweight camping/fishing/mess-it-up some knife. So I can tolerate a Spyderco Delica, Dragonfly Salt, etc. I can even tolerate the squinchable scales on the Ka-Bar Dozier folders. But they cost $20.
These 535 handles seem to be really flexible, scrunchable, pliable - squishy, rather than stiff. On a $115 knife? Which that nice blade steel and flat grind profile, and an Axis Lock? Really? Biiiiiiiig miss there BM. For me, at least. The scales should have been rigid.
Big improvement over the 530, otherwise. If the scales were rigid I'd be all over it.
For now, I'm going to snag a 531. Not the same POU, but I like it.
Now, as a previous poster mentioned...when some nice aftermarket scales come out...

It doesn't seem like a bad knife to me. But then again, I haven't handled one yet and may never.

There are many backpackers who are EXTREMELY obsessive-compulsive about every ounce they carry. There are many who will not carry more knife than a Victorinox Classic. One backpacking authority even said that he was pondering breaking off the nail file/screwdriver blade on his Classic because he felt it was a wasted feature, and to save even more weight. One woman hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail with her only knife being a Victorinox Classic.

For people like that, I wonder if they would think that the BM 535 is still too much knife and still too heavy (not to mention too expensive a knife, in their opinions).

Jim

My Spyderco Salt 1 weighs in at exactly 2oz. For the Salt's additional .15oz and given the steel will will survive adverse conditions, for backpacking, that knife seems to make more sense to me.

Just watched Nick's review yesterday, and my interest, which was moderate, quickly fizzled.
Why?
Squishy-scales.
I don't object to FRN or even rigid plastic on a lightweight camping/fishing/mess-it-up some knife. So I can tolerate a Spyderco Delica, Dragonfly Salt, etc. I can even tolerate the squinchable scales on the Ka-Bar Dozier folders. But they cost $20.
These 535 handles seem to be really flexible, scrunchable, pliable - squishy, rather than stiff. On a $115 knife? Which that nice blade steel and flat grind profile, and an Axis Lock? Really? Biiiiiiiig miss there BM. For me, at least. The scales should have been rigid.
Big improvement over the 530, otherwise. If the scales were rigid I'd be all over it.
For now, I'm going to snag a 531. Not the same POU, but I like it.
Now, as a previous poster mentioned...when some nice aftermarket scales come out...

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the squishy scales myself. Like you, my interest dropped some when I saw Nick's review.

I spoke with a BM customer service rep the other day and the Bugout came up in our discussion. She very quickly brought up the subject of aftermarket scales. This tells me that BM screwed up on the scales and they know it.

BTW, I own a 531 and have been very happy with it. There is a slight learning curve with the micro thumb stud and you may find that the coffin scales to be a problem if you grip the knife wrong. Not a big deal, really. It is a fantastic knife and you will enjoy yours. The biggest draw back with the 531 is the pocket clip. Changing to a deep carry clip makes a huge difference. When you are ready to buy, consider the REI version. S30v steel and green scales.[/QUOTE]

I am really curious to see what the possible updates will be for this in 2018... I am really hoping they come out with new options... (i.e. better steel) :)

I've used other members of the 53x series for years and I strongly prefer the Bugout, FWIW. When actually cutting stuff, particularly where you're applying a lot of force, I find the Bugout handle much more comfortable than a 530 handle. IMO, it's a great knife, probably my favorite Benchmade, and I have piles of them.

They are back ordered so the demand is through the roof. I just got one today and the action on it is awesome! I thought I loved my custom grip until I started messing with this one...

The Bugout is an excellent knife. I didn't get what the fuss was all about until I owned one.

If they come out with a larger model of the Bugout it would seriously compete for pocket time. The Bugout is a great example of a medium size knife; it's small enough to carry unobtrusively but is big in hand/blade for most tasks.

The Bugout is an excellent knife. I didn't get what the fuss was all about until I owned one.

If they come out with a larger model of the Bugout it would seriously compete for pocket time. The Bugout is a great example of a medium size knife; it's small enough to carry unobtrusively but is big in hand/blade for most tasks.

How much bigger would you want the blade to be? I can’t imagine it being any bigger than 3.6” (or the size of a Ritter Grip.)

I just want to make sure they keep the same blade profile. It’s a great slicer!

Back