Benchmade Support for Blade Forums

Benchmade

BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer
Hey guys,

I will start off by introducing myself. My name Is Jimmy and I am one of the Design Engineers at Benchmade. I will be monitoring and moderating this forum moving forward as well as helping to answer any questions you may have. However, some information regarding new product details may not be confirmed until the product is officially announced.

Why are you guys releasing so many knives with S30V steel lately? It's not a bad steel, it's just really dated and there are better options. I skipped two knives from the last set of releases because you guys chose to put 10-year old steel tech on them.

We have done extensive testing with S30V with our own proprietary heat treat recipe that results in a great all around steel while still keeping cost reasonable.

Help I sent in my 940 to have the blade play removed and it came back with just as much blade play, if not a little bit more?

has Benchmade been working on improving fit and finish? i know every manufacture has issues with some cases, just seems to be that a majority have F&F issues are present with your products. its been discussed on the forums many times over and its a large issue, shown in reviews, reviews on youtube, reviews for amazon, reviews on other knife retailers and forums. is this something that is only going to be taken care of in warranty support? or is something being done to address these concerns at the factory before they go into boxes? until this is resolved for the most part, ive stopped buying benchmade knives (to be honest i dont like the 2017 year lineup either, also a concern of many of the people on blade forums, but thats more of a statement that benchmade should be made aware of rather than needing a reply about it).

being that im not a fanboy, i have concerns about the high prices and low fit and finish. the joke is "dont buy a benchmade sight unseen", and its very true for a reason.

anyways, sorry to be so negative, but not really... as im not in the know about how benchmade views my and others concerns for these issues.

Hey guys,

I will start off by introducing myself. My name Is Jimmy and I am one of the Design Engineers at Benchmade. I will be monitoring and moderating this forum moving forward as well as helping to answer any questions you may have. However, some information regarding new product details may not be confirmed until the product is officially announced.

I won't jump you Jimmy, Just want to thank you for coming on board to the forum and appreciate the factory involvement. This is a great place for us knife junkies and seeing the factory involved is encouraging
Thank you

I won't jump you Jimmy, Just want to thank you for coming on board to the forum and appreciate the factory involvement. This is a great place for us knife junkies and seeing the factory involved is encouraging
Thank you

Me too. Welcome, and thanks for taking on an often thankless job. I only have 2 Benchmades at present, but they're two of my favorite folders. And I have no issues with either of them.

Help I sent in my 940 to have the blade play removed and it came back with just as much blade play, if not a little bit more?

Blade play is pretty subjective. Try tightening the pivot screw very slightly, give the blade a couple taps on a table to to make sure everything settles and check for side to side again. Then also make sure the knife still snaps closed.

has Benchmade been working on improving fit and finish? i know every manufacture has issues with some cases, just seems to be that a majority have F&F issues are present with your products. its been discussed on the forums many times over and its a large issue, shown in reviews, reviews on youtube, reviews for amazon, reviews on other knife retailers and forums. is this something that is only going to be taken care of in warranty support? or is something being done to address these concerns at the factory before they go into boxes? until this is resolved for the most part, ive stopped buying benchmade knives (to be honest i dont like the 2017 year lineup either, also a concern of many of the people on blade forums, but thats more of a statement that benchmade should be made aware of rather than needing a reply about it).

being that im not a fanboy, i have concerns about the high prices and low fit and finish. the joke is "dont buy a benchmade sight unseen", and its very true for a reason.

anyways, sorry to be so negative, but not really... as im not in the know about how benchmade views my and others concerns for these issues.

Mo2,

Can you point me to some specific examples? I would love to pass this on with some specifics.

Thanks for your input.

I would like to know if you are considering a budget line, similar to what Spyderco did with the Ambitious, Tenacious and Persistence. I know there was a budget line before, i think it was the red line but I could be wrong.
Thanks for becoming involved in this forum, it shows that you care what your customers say.

Mo2,

Can you point me to some specific examples? I would love to pass this on with some specifics.

Thanks for your input.

its pretty disappointing that you are not aware of this by now. very telling.

i dont really have time to go through at the moment to give a whole lot of examples. but lets start with this.

[video=youtube;jnwUEgwWzII]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnwUEgwWzII[/video]
you can google Nicks other benchmade reviews http://bfy.tw/BC0N
he's not the only reviewer with the same problems, i just dont want to go looking for everyone of them.

then check out some amazon reviews, you will have to click through the different ratings https://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-94...ar&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&pageNumber=1

my 940-1 bought from a benchmade dealer - uneven blade grind, blade not centered and some blade play.

my 484-1601 nakumarua Knife center ed - the pivot and other screws dont even have the torx in the center of them, the pivot coloar is not flush with the pivot screw. the scales are not flush with the liners. the wood work is not the same on both sides at all. blade grind off. off center blade. HUGE blade play up and down and left and right. tighening it causes blade to come out way to slow and not smooth. there is no moderate point that reduces both to a friendly blade opening or shutting. keeping it loose the action is perfect but has blade play.

my other benchmades i dont have anymore. not all of them were bad. but more had issues than not.

There are way to many threads to call out for F&F issues on bladeforums.. heres the most recent one http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1467425-Fit-and-finish

I think the major problem is while its wide and far problem, not everyone sends them in for you guys to fix, hence why you dont know its such a huge problem... or who knows for sure. i dont want to send mine in to get fixed, nor do others. hence why i hope it gets fixed at the factory level.

Glad to have you on here . I mostly just lurk over here. I'm mostly a Case and Buck (traditional knives guy), but out of the 10 or so benchmades I have, I've never had a fit or finish issue, it is about the only brand I would buy sight unseen. Agree, about nothing excites me in the 2017 lineup and can't believe BM discontinued the 710! Really liking the looks of the North Fork though! Really like the Axis lock with the traditional wood look.

Glad to have you on here . I mostly just lurk over here. I'm mostly a Case and Buck (traditional knives guy), but out of the 10 or so benchmades I have, I've never had a fit or finish issue, it is about the only brand I would buy sight unseen. Agree, about nothing excites me in the 2017 lineup and can't believe BM discontinued the 710! Really liking the looks of the North Fork though! Really like the Axis lock with the traditional wood look.

If you are into more traditional knives have you seen the new 319 and 319-1 knives?

http://www.benchmade.com/319.html

just wanna say welcome looking forward to you here and please bring back a bigger rant clip point in d2 or 440c. thanks.:)

Mo2,

Thanks for your input.

I have mostly seen small things on different knives. On some of the axis locks the lock is depressed all the way forward and isn't solidly engaged on the lock face, so the blade has a slight bit of wiggle between the stop pin and axis lock. Some frame screws are stripped. Both those aren't super common, but I have seen multiple examples. My pet peeve is on my 551. I do not like the obvious cost cutting move of leaving the surface grinder finish on the blade flats as it contrasts against the smoother finish on the bevels. I would rather have a uniform finish on the flats and bevels, like a stone washed finish.

Welcome Jimmy. I have one of the original green 940s and I love it. Also a couple of Mini-Grips of the prior generation. Also great. Hope to get my hands on a Foray someday and maybe the red 319 once they are available here in Canada.

Look forward to your input.

,,,Mike in Canada

Great to see you here Jimmy, thank you for being available to us here on BF.

May I ask, why is there no 943-2?
Given the 943 is still a production model, BM have 943 blades and 940-2 handles. I don't see any development cost involved in providing us with a run of G10 handled 943's.
There are buyers here for a 943-2.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1427696-Bench-made-943?highlight=943
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...943-the-poor-cousin?highlight=943+poor+cousin

Thanks again Jimmy, looking forward to your input and continued presence here.

Back