Benchmade VS. Spyderco

I like both companies' products and own an equal number from both, although I will confess I much prefer thumbholes to thumbstuds/discs for quick unassisted opening. IME Spydercos are also a bit more comfortable to carry due to more rounded edges on their handles, which was the main reason I replaced my Benchmade CQC 7 with a Spyderco Police G-10. But that's purely personal preference and in no way meant to denigrate Benchmade. Both make fine knives.

I'm a spyderco fan..............because I live near Golden CO.................and their knives rock.

A $60 Spyderco is a lot more knife than a $60 Benchmade. I also am a huge fan of the hole for single-handed opening. I won't buy a non-assisted folder that doesn't have the Spyderhole.

Out of all of my folders (mostly Benchmade), my PM2 is nearly the cheapest one. That being said, once it entered my pocket, it hasn't left.

Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge Trucks.... all good. Benchmade vs. Spyderco.. both great. Comes down to which you like better.

I love my 710 in D2! Took it to the jungles of Honduras and didn't have to sharpen it once. cut plastic zip ties, Fresh fruits & veggies, vine, rope, sharpened pencils, stabbed a scorpion, turned my pants into shorts, gutted some fish, and more! That being said, I really do prefer the initial grinds of spyderco knives. The just seem to slice better. And I really like the stainless handle on my police model. I have used it as a light hammer on numerous occasions. All in all, I typically prefer a Benchmade after a minor edge re-profiling (I usually do it free hand). Spyderco makes the best little knives though. I love the ss cricket with spyderedge! It is probably the most handy knife I own.
The axis lock is great once you get used to it and I feel that it is better for quick deployment... I am however, in the market for a Manix with 154cm with g10 scales.

I have 11 Benchmades, but only 10 Spydercos
So Benchmade all the way :) Until I get a Domino then its even. Oh wait, I have been eyeballing the 943 to go with my 940..
I just don't know anymore:confused:
Cheers

Ive many many models from both and without going into detail I'm gonna have to sway toward Spyderco. They're just better overall knives in my honest opinion.

Ive many many models from both and without going into detail I'm gonna have to sway toward Spyderco. They're just better overall knives in my honest opinion.

That's an interesting thought. I own a lot of both and like both a lot. But maybe you're right, and maybe Benchmade makes nicer overall knives. Not saying that's a fact, just a thought.

While I like the three Benchmades I own, I must admit that when I start thinking about getting a new folder my first thought is to see what Spyderco has that would suit my purpose. Does that make me a Spyderco fanboi?

I have a lot of respect for both companies. They both seem to truly appreciate their customers and strive to deliver excellent service and great products. I think it really is a preference thing. I lean toward Benchmade in most of my buying choices but it has nothing to do with thinking Spyderco is inferior. It just comes down to what floats my boat at the time and which company has the knife to fill that need. I will continue to buy from both companies.

Spyderco have better QC on their knives, but Benchmade has a much better warranty and can back up their knives better. BM can also meet demand for their knives and the current production ones are always easy to find, something you can't say about Spyderco.

Thinking of ordering my first Spyderco, delica 4 with ZDP-189. If I do go with it, then I can compare benchmade vs spyderco. For now, I'm rather impressed with my two benchmades; 162 and 530.

I've thought about this a little more, and have boiled it down to two things...

Benchmade has better fit and finish, and better materials. My PM2 arrived with a sticky pivot due to a burr on the inner liner, and an uneven bevel grind. Granted, I only own one Spyderco, but NONE of my Benchmades needed "fixing" upon arrival.

Spyderco has better handles. By far. The reason I always carry my PM2 rather than my other knives, is the handle offers a HUGE amount of diversity as far as gripping options. The blade even has a finger choil, and the jimping is perfect. I even use the thumbhole as another way of getting even more "choked up" on the blade for greater control.

While I was reprofiling my PM2, I carried my favorite EDC Benchmade, the 943. I realized how much I valued the Spyderco every time I reached to grab the knife. The 943 handle is "slippery" compared to the PM2. Don't get me wrong, my Benchmades are beautiful knives, and marvels of engineering, but they seem to value those two qualities over being ultimately "usable".

I like both, and what's wrong with comparing apples and oranges? =)

points to spyderco:
* the mules are great for experimenting new steels with users
* sal
* a full spectrum of knives

benchmade:
* AXIS lock
* more fixed blades (not sure, seems that way to me)
* gold class offers same knife in different F&F

This thread underscores the subjectivity of knife use. What one person perceives as a strength, such as the axis or compression lock, might be seen as excessively complicated and prone to failure. What another person may perceive as a poor cutting edge-to-handle ratio could be valued as a handy choil or additional grip surface. One person may love a black, grippy G10 handle. Another may perceive it as an aesthetic and practical annoyance, and favor smoother knives made from metal materials.

Both manufacturers product outstanding knives at similar prices. The knives follow different design trends, none of which are inherently better or worse than the other. Neither is more "function based" or "aesthetic based." In all honesty, the only major difference between the two is that Benchmade typically offers broader scopes of repair work and faster turn-around due to its larger U.S. manufacturing facility.

Both are outstanding choices and dominate the sub-$200 market. However, I usually buy Benchmade for the sole reason that it suits my subjective, personal preference for longer blades, lighter and slimmer handles, less jimping, and faster deployment. I also value Benchmade's broader scope of warranty/repair work and faster turn-around.

Back