best dog breed for the woods

Alright so im talking a big dog that has the potential to fight off bears wolves cougars. Throw out some suggestions and some pictures of your dog that you prefer as your woods companion would be super

I have my heart set on a Hungarian Vizsla. Not the largest breed (between 40 and 55 pounds generally) but they are excellent hunters and form incredibly strong bonds with there owners. I believe they would make excellent woods companions. Sorry no pics. I don't have my pup yet.

Im really likin a rottweiler without a docked tail. Strong, tenacious, loyal, bulky, and fearless

ive heard of them. They are kinda rare and have a lot of issues with dog aggression and i want to have more than 1 dog.

Alaskan Malamute. Highly intelligent, fiercely loyal and extremely strong. They can be a stubborn breed and require a firm hand at training (establishing Alpha early on is critical). Weight: 120 lbs winter, 108 lbs summer.

Once when my Alaskan Malamute named Juno and I was in Glacier National Park, we came upon a Grizzly that was not too happy with our presence. Juno stood his ground, barked and growled like crazy, and started to rush in and out. He gave me enough time to pull my 3 inch S&W Model 629 44 Mag from my pack, but by then the bear was running off. We were fine and continued on with our hike.

Best hiking companion I'd ever had. Plus he had his own saddle pack.

IMG_0699.jpg

Last edited:
If you need a tough dog, an Akita is hard to beat. Ridgeback and malamute are awesome too.

Last edited:
Check out the Black Mouth Cur. They are a pioneers dog bred for hunting bear, hog, deer, squirrel, and to protect livestock, property and the family. In Texas they use them to herd cattle. In the south they hunt bear, boar, squirrel, coon, and deer. In the West we use them to hunt Coyotes.

They are considered one of the most well rounded "multi-purpose" dogs known. They are definately all "outdoor dogs" but will acclimate to inside "family" living with proper daily outdoor exercise. They are most definately a family dog!

They can track human or animals using both ground and air scent as well as any hound. Plus they do not bark until their on their prey if you're into stealth hunting. My dog has a Garmin GPS unit on him when in the woods. They are bred for the woods and outdoors. These are not dogs imported and bred for other purposes but rather are an American dog bred to deal with the hazards and lifestyle of wilderness Americans, Farmers, Pioneers, and Homesteaders. They are extremely intelligent and train well. Old Yeller was a cur.

While no single dog is going to probably be 100% successful with a Mtn Lion or Bear...these dogs will not give up and they will die defending their "pack." They are tenacious, bold, courageous, confident, and strong depending upon which breeder you select. Knowing this - this is no lap dog. They need plenty of exercise, they need plenty of physical and mental challenges or they will go "bonkers". When not in the woods, I keep my dog challenge with various tracking and searching exercies. He is going to start Schutzhund (protection, tracking, & obedience) training starting next Spring.

curhog1.jpg

Last edited:
Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Rhodesian-Ridgeback2.jpg

I agree. I have a mutt with alot of Rhodesian and chow in her, both breeds known to be guard dogs. Shes only about 60lb. and was hit by a car in june, but has made a 95% recovery. Shes still fast enough to win a fight yesterday with a small rottie.

june12071.jpg

Alright so im talking a big dog that has the potential to fight off bears wolves cougars. Throw out some suggestions and some pictures of your dog that you prefer as your woods companion would be super

A lot of dog breeds, including mixed breeds, can be great hiking/camping companions. Many times, that depends on the individual dog. Mid-sized breeds in the 50-80 pound range generally travel well over rugged terrain and can go for many hours at a time. Some larger breeds do well at this, too. Several have been mentioned in replies already.

Rogue01's story with his Malamute is inspiring and a lot of dogs will do that very thing to protect you and themselves, but that's about the best you can hope for in a wilderness confrontation. If you put a single dog up against a wild animal like a cougar, wolf, or bear in a real close quarters fight, the dog is gonna lose most of the time. That's like a once a month amateur club fighter going up against a heavyweight pro.

If you want a dog for a hiking companion that can fill a lot of roles in the woods, then you might want to broaden your criteria some to include things like their coat (double coats are often better in severe outdoor conditions because of the added protection from the elements & temperatures), whether they're able to carry their own gear in backpacks, how well they respond to you when they're off lead (some dogs/breeds are much more responsive to off lead commands and training will only go so far), whether the breed you're interested in is known for being animal/human aggressive (this doesn't mean that every member of the breed will be that way), and probably most important... how much time you're willing to spend building the kind of relationship with your dog that makes you a good team in the woods.

I've hiked all over the eastern US for 50+ years, always with dogs, and a lot of different kinds have gone with me. My best experiences have come with a 70 pound mixed breed who can still take me through the woods or through Atlanta safely, and a German Shepherd who watched my back successfully for 15 years

Im really likin a rottweiler without a docked tail. Strong, tenacious, loyal, bulky, and fearless

I have two rottweilers and neither are good for long distance hikes. They are both great house dogs, but I would pick an Australian Cattle Dog for wilderness journeys.

I have a very strong bent toward lurchers. I have a bit of a thing for sighthounds anyway, but for me lurcher variants are as good is it gets. On that, if I wanted something that could take wolves a dog with a good amount of Irish Wolfhound in it would be the way to go.

fnwolfhound201003152112.jpg

fn20100513010156.jpg

As for bears and cougars, I wouldn't want any dog of mine to get into a fight with either of them. I think an over hard dog is just going to end up dead. If wanted protection from those I'd want a pack of little rats to give tongue. Confident enough not to bolt but not thick enough to go in and just get killed. It's worth noting that the Romans used to set bears vs African lions. Lions always lost. I figure its worth pegging down exactly what type of bears though. I put up an animation here before of a domestic cat chasing off a pussy black bear. A Polar or Grizzly isn't likely to stand for that though.

Still, there's always these ;-)

whippetDM1207_468x669.jpg

I'll second what dalefuller said.
Dog breed is a personal choice based on several factors. There is no "best" breed for the woods. Certain breeds have certain characteristics, I would pic a couple of breeds that you think you may be interested in, then research the heck out of them. There are plenty of resources out there, especially on the internet.

As far as wild animals are concerned, no matter what dog breed you get, it is only going to serve to delay the bear, cat, wolf so you can get away, but your dog will surely die in the end. Although, it may not come to that. As someone already stated, your dog could serve to scare off a potential threat, but on the flip side, they could do the opposite and attract animals into your camp that would otherwise have ignored your presence.

Just do your research, you'll find the dog that is right for you and your family.

1. It sounds like you already made up your mind; you just want us to justify getting a rottweiler. I can tell you that asking us what kind of dog can fight a bear but then deciding on a rottweiler tells me that you don't know much about rottweilers. Any rott owner will tell you that rotts are not dogs for beginners.

2. There is no medical or practical reason to amputate a dog's tail. Many vets won't even do it, so that leave you a meat cleaver in a basement without anesthetic. Don't do it. It's extremely painful for the dog, and the only reason to do it is for your own idea of what looks tough.

The more I re-read your two sentences, the more convinced I am a rottweiler is NOT a dog for you. And I think nearly every legitimate rottweiler owner will agree.

Still, there's always these ;-)

whippetDM1207_468x669.jpg

That's actually a whippet with a fairly rare but documented genetic abnormality. Wouldn't do you much good since they can't move very well.

Right answer. Not that the others are bad answers, but that answer is pretty much the end of thread. It is what they were bred to do.

I'll disagree. Rhodesians were bred to hunt lion in South Africa. In packs. In the open. With armed people. While they are nifty dogs, they may not be the best choice for winter camping in Montana. And they weren't bred to fight bears on their own. Dogs are pack animals. Bears roam the woods by themselves and eat what ever they want to. There is no dog that can fend off a pack of wolves, let alone a pack of dogs. The whole concept is ridiculous. If I had to lay odds on a Cougar vs. Rhodesian encounter, I'd put my money on the Cougar. One doesn't need a dog to fight, one needs a dog to notice the threat and raise the alarm. That's what dogs do. And so any dog will do. (Except the bark-less Basenji ;))

There is no "best" breed for hiking in the woods. I had a Miniature Schnauzer that climbed a couple of 14'ers. Could walk all day. Loved to camp. Never had to fend off a bear, but I have no doubt that she could have barked up a fierce storm if one came along.

If the OP does any hiking of any long distances, a large heavy dog like a Rottie or Wolfhound will be at a disadvantage. They get hot and tire easily. A good "woods dog" will have a frame like a coyote or a wolf: lithe legs, in-line gait, narrow chest, long muzzle. Something along the lines of an Australian shepherd, Blue Heeler, Husky, Border Collie, etc....but I can also recommend Miniature Schnauzers wholeheartedly. :)

Rhodesian Ridgebacks don't do well in the cold at all.

Malamutes don't do well in the Southern or Eastern summer heat.

And everyone who warns about a heavily muscled dog as hiking companion are correct. There's a difference between a good guard dog and a good hiking dog. Rotties and other dogs descended from the mastiff type are going to poop out pretty early on in your hike.

Back