best dog breed for the woods

You might think that a pitbull/black-and-tan coonhound would be a good woods dog, but you would be wrong. Meet Kirby:
HelpFromKirby.jpg

In one day he:
Cut up his feet scrambling across rocks
Jumped in a stagnant pond to get away from a horse
Ate enough grass to puke up 3 miniature hay bales the next day
Went nearly hypothermic before I needed more than a light sweater
Had to be leashed the entire time because he will wander off following a scent trail

I had to build a fire and hold him on my lap to warm him up. I guess his job when I go camping is to stay home and guard the wife. He is a true marshmallow, but he is also the most affectionate dog I've ever owned.
KirbyInside.jpg

Last edited:
Argentina Dogo. I agree with other postings, you shouldn't put your dog in harms way.

I loooovvvvveeeee the greater swiss mountain dog (and all of the swiss breeds that I have met so far, the other being the Bernese mountain dog)

yeah they are cool dogs but what is the difference betwen them and rottweilers. I mean in stamina and capability, the temperment is obviously different. People have discouraged me from getting a rottweiler because they missread my original post. I said to leave the tail natural but people who didn't read what i said started making assumptions about my intentions. Let me rephrase i don't want a big scary dog. I want a loyal dog that will defend me if ever needed and that will also be a reasonable protector for me and my home.

Last edited:
What has better stamina a dobie or a gsd

I'd say the one that is healthy -- ie, either one can be great. In rough heat, the Doberman will be a lot more comfortable, and less prone to overheating (even so, a dog goes through a LOT of water). In a cooler climate, a GSD will be more durable, and less likely to get chilled. The downside to that is that there's a lot more hair to deal with, and a wet GSD will be more of a mess.

My family had a GSD when I was a young kid, my first dog as an adult was a dobie, and I'm now on my second Weimaraner. All are great working dogs with which you can form a good close bond.

I'd pick based on climate and personal preference more than anything.

I'd hate to take her out on the trail with me because she is so damn curious (didn't train her to be off a lead though) but the most protective dog I have ever met was my Great Dane. She has cornered and held folks who walked into our yard and kept a cable man who walked in without asking cornered also. She would do anything to protect anyone in our family. Belgian mallinois our supposed to be great dogs also

rhodesian ridgeback

I was thinking the same. There's one issue you must consider with certain dogs. A ridgeback needs lots of exercise, everyday you could take them on a marathon.
There are other dogs that would fit the bill without needing that daily workout. Maybe your a biker, runner, or the dog could have 20+ acres, but I wouldn't want that dog in a small place.

The problem is im moving to florida but i am going to make frequent trips to the rockies and the olympics for fun.

It's hot here in FL. My Pitbull loves this weather. She shivers immediatly in very cold weather, ie mountains, northern climates. Short haired dogs can always wear a coat.
IMG_0561-1.jpg

Alright so im talking a big dog that has the potential to fight off bears wolves cougars. Throw out some suggestions and some pictures of your dog that you prefer as your woods companion would be super
German Shepherd is a big dog. I think he has a potential to fight with bears wolves..But You should now know the names of the dogs that can kill a wolf. The most infamous dog that can kill a wolf is the Kangal.

I do a lot of dog training. Forget breeds, the days that breed specifically meant something are about 100 years over.

Nearly all dog breeds are now multi generational show lines so pretty much all the breed traits have been intentionally bred out so all breeds are now lobotomized caricatures of themselves. Most dog breeders are a scum bags with low IQ.

If you want a functional dog you have to find humans heavily involved in that function with their dogs and spend a lot of time with them watching & learning.

Whatever it is you think you know will probs change and so will your eye and your expectations.

Also anyone who expects their dog to go fight a bear should be reported to the authorities and seek counselling. Probs the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Back