Recommendation? Best image hosting site???

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
Hey Knife People,

For years I have been posting pics freely on BF, blissfully unaware that there were limitations.

Unfortunately now like many of you I’m over my allotment and can’t attach new pics. I’ve been hoping that Spark would figure out a way to allow people like me to pay for increased pics, but it sounds like that’s not to be. :(

there will still be a quota system in place and if you are way over your image limits you'll need to find alternative image hosting. New servers should allow increased quotas but will not be unlimited

So I’m finally going to investigate using an outside image hosting service.

I personally think that BF should strive to be an archive of information, including photos, and I want to do what I can to insure that photos I post in the future won’t just vanish in a couple of years when the hosting service goes bankrupt, etc.

I guess I’m looking for a site that has lots of market share and is well managed and is therefore likely to stick around for awhile.

I don’t mind paying a small annual fee btw.

I’m also not very tech savvy - so user friendliness is important too.

What site do you suggest and why?

Thanks guys!

I’m using postimage dot org. I tried Imgur, but found it to be klugy and unintuitive. Postimage is like image hosting for dummies. Easy upload, easy image organization if you’re the organized type, easy copying the direct link to your image.

Imgur is about as easy as it gets. Point, click, copy, paste, its that simple.
Imgur also provides the correct BBCode URL format for posting pictures in-line here, something that some others don't seem to do.
Just make sure your image account is marked as private.

i use smugmug.com
there is a fee to it, but it has different levels. when i first started it was 40 bucks a year, but that was over 10 years ago. it has gone up but i havent checked it as i still get a lowered rate.

i use it for more than just hosting pics to put on other websites. if its an important photo i want to make sure I'll have access too - it gets backed up elsewhere

Another vote for postimages.org. Once you've got it figured out (not hard), uploading and posting the link here (I use Ctrl-V instead of the icon route which seems a clunky way to do it) takes just a few seconds.

Don't like the crowd that makes up Imgur, so I try to avoid it.

I've had no problems using imgur.com since I joined BF.

Last edited:
Just FYI, you don't need to interact with that crowd. Just mark your account as private and nobody there will ever know it exists. Bookmark your image page so you can go right to it without going to any other part of the site and you will never know they exist....

Absolutely correct. I prefer not to give them any traffic. No reflection on anyone here who uses them for image hosting intended. OP asked for the "best" site - that influenced my response.

Imgur has been great to use. I used it for years before switching to the BF direct pic posting system. Now that we can’t use the direct method , I have no problem going back to Imgur.

I use Postimage also. Pretty easy, and all the images are private by default.

Any site can disappear, so the pic’s I upload are copies or for temporary use only..

I’ve been using Imgur since the whole Photobucket exodus with only the occasional gripe (randomly deleted pic or dead link.)

I have a paid photobucket account. Before and after the debacle. No issues since they realised their product was not worth the $s they asked but is what I pay now.

i use smugmug.com
there is a fee to it, but it has different levels. when i first started it was 40 bucks a year, but that was over 10 years ago. it has gone up but i havent checked it as i still get a lowered rate.

i use it for more than just hosting pics to put on other websites. if its an important photo i want to make sure I'll have access too - it gets backed up elsewhere
I like SmugMug too. Its unlimited storage is a big plus.

Back