Recommendation? Best image hosting site???

I am a longtime Imgur user here. Like others have stated, I am comfortable with its use and it's free currently. Should they ever decide to change their model, I would probably be inclined to pay as long as it isn't exorbitant. It is usually pretty stable, though they occasionally will have glitches like any web application will.

A lot of the complaints I see directed towards the service are of the "can't see the forest for the trees" type. It is important to note that it is an image hosting service first and foremost - it also happens to have a social media component as a second. Like with any social media outlet, one is bound to find something to be offended by. In my opinion, life is too short to be offended at anything really so I simply ignore the stuff I disagree with and move on.

There is no changing of hearts and minds on the internet - that should be one of the golden rules somewhere.

I am a longtime Imgur user here. Like others have stated, I am comfortable with its use and it's free currently. Should they ever decide to change their model, I would probably be inclined to pay as long as it isn't exorbitant. It is usually pretty stable, though they occasionally will have glitches like any web application will.

A lot of the complaints I see directed towards the service are of the "can't see the forest for the trees" type. It is important to note that it is an image hosting service first and foremost - it also happens to have a social media component as a second. Like with any social media outlet, one is bound to find something to be offended by. In my opinion, life is too short to be offended at anything really so I simply ignore the stuff I disagree with and move on.

There is no changing of hearts and minds on the internet - that should be one of the golden rules somewhere.
Since the PB fiasco, I've been using Imgur. Opened an account in 2014 and have over 2800 images uploaded. It's been stable, it's free (so far) and I can ignore the social aspects if I choose. I take most of my pics on a smartphone and upload them directly to the imgur app as hidden images. Easy peasy. If imgur needs to charge in the future, I'll decide what to do then.

I just set up postimage dot org. Too easy breezy. Tip; use "hotlink for forums" if you want a full picture.

I had tried imgur years back and wasn't a fan. This is pretty straightforward and free.

I just set up postimage dot org. Too easy breezy. Tip; use "hotlink for forums" if you want a full picture.

I had tried imgur years back and wasn't a fan. This is pretty straightforward and free.
I second this...postimage is as easy as it gets!

I’m concerned that Imgur will continue to veer toward a sentiment that knives and bladed objects represent weapons and violence. Some folks have experienced issues posting knives of late; I’ve seen a couple of exchange threads that mentioned it.

Postimg is ok, but until I can figure out where they lean, I don’t know if they are a option going forward.

Without getting too political, most of Silicone Valley and Tech lean toward a idealogical spectrum that is unfriendly toward guns and knives.

The real challenge for BF is finding a third party hosting site that’s friendly toward knives. With any of the typical players mentioned so far, there’s a real danger of images disappearing overnight as knives and blades are determined violent and hateful.

I hope I didn’t drive this conversation into the political ditch, but I believe it’s an important concern in the discussion of third party hosting.

Finally, there are some interesting surrender of rights for non-copyrighted images posted on most hosting sites. Consider you post an amazing picture of your Benchmade Bugout…so amazing that Benchmade wants to use it in a full page advertisement. Benchmade can arguably buy rights to use the image from the hosting site, by-passing the creator. There’s some convoluted law involved that I don’t fully understand, but while another user can’t use you Imgur image and call it their own, the host has implied limited rights to monetize the image.

Again, this is for images not previously copyrighted.

Knife makers and service providers should cautiously use third party free hosting as a result. Read the T’s and C’s carefully.

Last edited:
The best image hosting site for pictures on Bladeforums is Bladeforums...anything else is subject to the whims of outside entities and could be nuked just like Photobucket. Hosting pictures here ensures that Bladeforums is in control over the historical content that makes this site great.

Going on 8 weeks still having to use 3rd party host to post pics!!😞🫣😞
Seems if ya really try you can get alot done in 7 weeks. 🤔
Sad!! 😞
John 😁

In these 7 weeks you could have figured out how to post pics of your knives on stumps but it’s easier to keep your broken record spinning isn’t it?

In these 7 weeks you could have figured out how to post pics of your knives on stumps but it’s easier to keep your broken record spinning isn’t it?
Had 2 different people try to teach me. 😞
Sorry. I couldn’t get it!!
John 😁

Look, fellas, I understand being a Luddite and all, and for what it's worth, you have my sympathies. Being in the tech industry for many years, I have had to provide support to the technologically challenged; I know the struggle is real and I don't make light of it.

That said, there is also a smattering of sheer stubbornness here. You have multiple solutions (temporary or otherwise) at your disposal. You've been here long enough to know that technical fixes for the forums take time. You can question the motivations and priorities of the owner all you want but it isn't going to make your desired solution arrive any faster. The fact of the matter is, there are solutions to mitigate this whole "problem" but there is abject refusal to employ such efforts in the interim. I don't understand that mindset.

You can wax annoyance (passive aggressively or otherwise) but the simple fact of the matter is that there is NOTHING that is preventing you from posting pictures on these boards. If it is a difficulty factor, I am happy to walk you through it, I happen to be excellent at tech support. If you are just being stubborn and needing to complain, well, I can't help you with that other than to keep encouraging you to exercise patience and seek alternative, albeit temporary, solutions.

I am happy to help in whatever way I can but you have to want it.

imgur is good though I don't like the updated version where when you rotate an image 90 degree, two sides will be cut off (no such problem with the older version) or maybe I am not doing it correctly?

Back