Best Method of Sharpening?

Seriously though, if you read and follow the destructions, paper wheels are a pretty good option. I've been at this for about 20 years, and I have (and can effectively use) an EdgePro 'professional', a Sharpmaker, 'Razor Edge' clamps, a KMG 2x72 grinder with a VSD, and all manner of 'freehand' stones and strops. Paper wheels are as effective and easy as it gets. Yes, you can do things with some of the other stuff that might be next to impossible using paper wheels, but for quickly making an effective edge, good paper wheels are hard to beat.

Try using paper wheels when your camping, hiking or fishing and miles away from a power source. DM

Well sure, and I'm an F'ing SURGEON with my angle grinder, and can put a nasty edge on most anything in a couple minutes! But I certainly don't recommend people go learn that, being new to sharpening!:D These other things come with experience.

I will always preach that learning on a guided sharpener is a great way to learn fundamentals quickly. It gives the person time to learn the basic fundamentals of sharpening, without having to worry about angle, pressure, consistency, etc. When I started sharpening I did so with freehand first. And I failed miserably! After months of no luck, I acquired both the Lansky and DMT Aligner kits. I very quickly, added all the stones available for both, and it wasn't long until I had my first truly sharp edges. Used these for a couple years and then went to an Edge Pro. After several years, and being able to achieve professional sharpenings, I decided to give freehand a try again. I pulled out my bench stones that I kept(Shapton Glass), and was able to bring a dull knife to shaving Sharp on the first try. Wasn't a "perfect" looking edge, but it was sharp! Thinking it a fluke I did a few more in time, and wouldn't ya know it? The edges started looking cleaner and cleaner. Then a friend needed a full convex blade repaired. It had several knarly chips in the belly. Using the stones and a strop, I was able to bring it back to pristine condition. I truly believe that the guided sharpeners gave me skills that carried over and even made freehand sharpening easier for me to do.

This was my experience. I know people are different. But this is what worked to give me the grasp I have on sharpening. And I am glad for it, as I can no longer freehand, due to my left arm/hand being paralyzed in 2014. I even gave up my Edge Pro right after the accident, switching to the Work Sharp for a year and some. But the allure of a stone finish on the knives I make was too much. So I built my own guided system that uses Edge Pro stones. And I pretty much use bonded diamond & Shapton Glass stones exclusively.

Hi everyone,
For getting knives scary sharp, especially with harder steels, what do you guys think is really the "best" method for sharpening (belt sander, whetstones, hones) for around $50? I own several fixed blades, as well as folders, and I just don't have the experience with sharpening to decide on any single option. Also, are there any systems out there that're relatively cheap and allow for the changing of a grind (hollow grind --> Scandinavian)?

Here is a video from a man who has probably sharpened hundreds of thousands of knives during his life. It may provide some info about cutting edges and how to sharpen them.

Back