Best swiss army knife

okay well i am going to buy a swiss army knife and i wanted to know what the best SAK knife and i dont want a giagantic knife with a tv and i ipod in it keep it simple

I have a few, and the classic alox Soldier is still one of my favourites, and one of my most carried EDCs (while I have several other more expensive knives). It's strong thanks to the metal handle, compact, light, thin, and has the most sensible SAK features: a decent blade, bottle cap lifter, can opener, 2 screwdrivers at the end of the previous two tools, and a reamer to make holes.

1823.jpg

Of the tools I used obviously the blade most, the cap lifter also very often (to drink those lovely Belgian beers!), occasionally the screwdrivers and reamer. I have never used the can opener - most cans I need to open can be pulled open, and in the kitchen I have a full size can opener for those few cans that need it. Still, it may come in handy during a holiday trip.

I'm a great fan of the huntsman - a little thicker than the soldier, but is the thinnest one I could find with scissors and a saw, which were critical to me at the time i was shopping. After 15 years of EDC the sawblade snapped, but everything else still works fine.

Vic SAK Pioneer with red alox handles.
Had mine for years, its one of those never leave home without it
knives. Comfortable to carry, easy to sharpen, endless uses with the
screw drivers and leather punch.
Great knife.

In my humble opinion the huntsman and fieldmaster are the perfect saks. Huntsman has the corkscrew fieldmaster has the phillips screwdriver. Take your pick.
Jim

+1 on the Alox soldier,it's the one I carry most.Also like the Alox Farmer,it's like the Soldier with the addition of a saw.The Climber is a good one too,because of the scissors,which I use alot when I'm fishing.

I suppose that Victorinox Huntsman is most popular SAK for EDC.

But I prefer Handyman or Craftsman (scissors, pliers, metal saw/file, wood saw, can/bottle openers, two blades... not so thick), if You don't want the big 111 mm Victorinox.

my Huntsman:
huntsman-sak-with-opened-tools-dscf2281-300x225.jpg

Here's another vote for the Farmer. It has some great tools, without going overboard.

I use mostly the blade (well, duh), but I also use the screwdrivers, too, on a fairly consistent basis. The reamer/scraper/awl/spike thing is, surprisingly, one of my most used tools.

And then there's the saw. I actually use it far more than I thought I ever would.

As a bonus, the Farmer is so innocuous, that they don't try to take it away from me at the VA hospital when I have to go there.

Yep: Farmer, for me.:thumbup:

second vote for the craftsman.
but if you're not really into tinkering, trust me - one of those new single handed opening liner lock models will do wonders.

I carry my electrician more than the others (well, not more than the explorer, but that is probably outside of the OP's specs... it's rather fat) and love it. It is almost the same as the soldier, but instead of a can opener it has a little sheeps foot blade / wire stripper. Handy as heck.

opplanet-victorinox-electrician-knife-53781.png

Soldier, Spartan/Tinker, Compact (why is it overlooked :grumpy:), Waiter for the normal sized SAK's

One Handed Trekker, Rucksack or Picknicker if you want a bigger knife.

My vote is for the Trekker. I have owned several SAK but after several near and not so near accidental closing on fingers I like the lock feature. I trust the knife enough to have my son (not a knife fan) take it with him on a camping trip. He came back raving about the saw blade and how it made easy work of cutting through branchs for kindling.

I'd certainly consider a Soldier or Farmer (of the alox-handed versions). I'd also second the Tinker Deluxe, or the Mechanic (Tinker with pliers, which I've found very useful).

... keep it simple

Assuming you want a simple SAK for EDC, I recommend the Soldier, or a variant of it (Pioneer, Wenger SI). The Spartan or Tinker may also be interesting, they are about the same size, but provide more tools and have plastic scales.

A SAK that I carry often as EDC is the Climber. It has lots of tools in a package that is just a little bit larger than the Soldier and Spartan. I think it provides everything you expect from a pocket tool in an urban environment. If you don't want the cork screw and have a philips screw driver instead, check out the Super Tinker.

I love the mechanic because of the pliers and the philipsscrewdriver.Very usefull in a small package.

MfG

Werner

Back