Best swiss army knife

the supertinker has the set of tools that i use most commonly. don't try to find "the best" try to find whats best for you.

There are so many good setups , Huntsman , Ranger , Alox Soldier , Farmer , Compact and even the Humble Spartan ( the one that really started the ball rolling ) .

Chris

100% of Powernoodles agree that the Explorer Plus has the optimal combination of tools and size. The phillips that folds out 180 degrees is a free bonus. Powernoodle Junior #2 just received one for his 9th birthday.

Victorinox-Explorer-Lg.jpg

I carry my electrician more than the others ....... It is almost the same as the soldier, but instead of a can opener it has a little sheeps foot blade / wire stripper. Handy as heck.

opplanet-victorinox-electrician-knife-53781.png

+1 to the Electrician! :thumbup:

It's always hard to argue against the alox Soldier, if for no other reason than the fact it was the official knife of the Swiss Army for 40+ years. I think everyone should own a Soldier. But I agree with jthomas that the little sheepsfoot blade is more useful than the can opener, and the Electrician is my EDC.

One other thing for the OP to consider is whether or not you want/like the keyring attachment. The Soldier, Electrician and some others do not have one - I personally like that because I don't attach keys to a 3 1/2" knife, and it makes for a smoother rounded end on the knife without the little projection for a keyring. If you want to attach keys or a lanyard then obviously you would want a model with the keyring attachment.

I carry my electrician more than the others (well, not more than the explorer, but that is probably outside of the OP's specs... it's rather fat) and love it. It is almost the same as the soldier, but instead of a can opener it has a little sheeps foot blade / wire stripper. Handy as heck.

opplanet-victorinox-electrician-knife-53781.png

+1 :thumbup: This is what I carry daily.

I have no doubts, owning more than some Vics.
Best "small" one: Farmer
Best "large" one: One Hand Trekker NS

I have an SI in my pocket now, love it. I have a couple Soldiers that tie it, I just like the bail sometimes. My Tinker is right up there on my favorite list, have trouble choosing one or the other sometimes.

I'm with powernoodle. I love the Explorer. Carried one since Nam. Probably wasn't the same model since t had a saw blade, but soon after I got my first explorer and haven't been without it in my pocket since. (Except when I fly of course, when it's in my checked bag. In fact, I've even checked a bag when I didn't need to in order to have it.)

Wouldn't be without a SAK of some type.

okay well i am going to buy a swiss army knife and i wanted to know what the best SAK knife and i dont want a giagantic knife with a tv and i ipod in it keep it simple
The "best" SAK is the one that has all the tools you need on it, and none of the ones you don't. Beyond that, there is no one "best" SAK (or any other knife for that matter). :p

McGuyver carries either a huntsman or a tinker.

Big whoop! McGuyver has the advantage of being fictional. He can carry anything he needs, no matter what, wrap up any weirdness going on in his life in under an hour and do it every week. While I can only do that kind of thing once in a while, he had a writing staff, director and stage crew helping him solve all his problems for years, and now all he has to do is repeat. Hell, if I had backup like that, no telling what I could accomplish. Some people are born lucky, while others are just born. :grumpy:

The "best" SAK is the one that has all the tools you need on it, and none of the ones you don't. Beyond that, there is no one "best" SAK (or any other knife for that matter). :p

For me, that's the Tourist (aka 84mm Spartan) loaded with that little screwdriver that fits into the corkscrew.

ive carried a SAK of some form for 20 years now, but ive never had one with the metal scales. i took care of that this afternoon, and i ordered a Farmer.:D

My first SAK when I was 12 was a Climber and I think it's about the fattest one I would want to carry. I currently EDC a Soldier but I'm thinking of getting a Pioneer Apprentice for something a little slimmer. It only has a large blade and a small sheepsfoot. I think that would be fine for EDC.

For me, it's the Compact. Best proportion of useful tools I use to ones I don't need, and slim. The Electrician's nice too, as are the Pioneer Rancher and Harvester models with a hawkbill -- it's a great blade for opening that damned clamshell packaging.

There's just so many choices...

Back