Bicycles!

Haven't ridden a bicycle in 15 years but would like to get the family into cycling by next summer.
Gotta do some research into what is a good buy nowadays.

Love the bike pictures, cool to see what people are riding.

Lorien Lorien is that the Rocky Mountain -50 ? I was looking at them when I bought mine but didn't want to invest quite that much at the time. After riding my fatty all summer though I can't help but wonder how much of a difference front suspension would make. I can see a potential upgrade in my future. Bikes are a lot like knives, the one you have is never quite the one you want.

it is, and the suspension is pretty much a requirement here on the coast

My other obsession
ONnn8vQl.jpg

ghi34Tbl.jpg

cIiYJULl.jpg

hNr50Fkl.jpg

QKxkXOdl.jpg

5n6FTWIl.jpg

wWRMPsUl.jpg

Oh man. I used to be a USCF Cat3 back when I was a boy. I was crazy about bike racing. I really should get back out there riding again.

I spend as much time on my bike as I can. It's part of my life. I used to be a full-time commuter, 4500-5500 miles a year, for many years. Circumstances changed (they always do), these days I'm about a 1/3 time commuter.

I have a hauling/commuting rig. I ride a Gunnar Grand Tour frame, full custom, measured to fit me. I picked all the components and assembled the bicycle myself. Simply put, it's BA. I've been riding it for a little over 8 years now. Bomb proof, turns on a dime (even under a moderate load). Rides as soundly on a trail as it does on city streets. I'm on my second set of chainrings...

Shouts to all the Midwestern winter commuters. Milwaukee, Des Moines, Chicago, La Crosse, and Minneapolis represent.

Oh man. I used to be a USCF Cat3 back when I was a boy. I was crazy about bike racing. I really should get back out there riding again.

what size bike did you ride, Nate? I have something cool here I might send your way if it's in the range...

I used to bike a lot, mostly with my father. Most I ever did was when I was about 18 he and I did a quad century (100 miles a day for 4 days) which convinced both of us not to do that again. ;)

Still have a nice aluminum frame Trek road bike, but haven't been able to ride for a few years due to health issues. Hopefully I'll get back on one of these days.

My first and only MTB, now "vintage".
Rode a lot when brand new, then it hung from the ceiling for a long time. Getting a workout again as my son is old enough to hit the trails and has a decent bike of his own:

pic from 'net - mine has Magura hydraulic rim brakes, BMX-style pedals, riser stem
PICT0002.JPG

my son's (pic borrowed from 'net)
ATX-275-2-Black-Blue.jpg

Glad this thread was posted. So kids are learning to ride and they are beginning to outpace me when I am on foot (they are riding too far ahead). Like some others here, I have not ridden in ages. In my younger years, I rode BMX exclusively. Redline. Diamondback. But I have no clue as to what a decent bike for trekking around suburbia would be these days. So what would constitute a bang-for-the-buck (think CPK) bicycle for riding around town with the caveat that most of the terrain I will encounter consists of asphalt/concrete hills?

Glad this thread was posted. So kids are learning to ride and they are beginning to outpace me when I am on foot (they are riding too far ahead). Like some others here, I have not ridden in ages. In my younger years, I rode BMX exclusively. Redline. Diamondback. But I have no clue as to what a decent bike for trekking around suburbia would be these days. So what would constitute a bang-for-the-buck (think CPK) bicycle for riding around town with the caveat that most of the terrain I will encounter consists of asphalt/concrete hills?
Find a good local bikeshop, let 'em know your budget and what you want and they'll usually trip over themselves to help you find something.

Surly ICT ops, old man mountain front and rear racks, 5" tires with ortleib panniers front and rear. It's a go-anywhere self contained mobile hunting/hiking/fishing/camping machine.

Fantastic for getting DEEP into unaccessed land in the west and getting 300 pounds of meat out in one trip on the other side.

Fat bikes brought the fun back in a major way. It's like being 5 years old again

Find a good local bikeshop, let 'em know your budget and what you want and they'll usually trip over themselves to help you find something.

a true CPK afficionado will understand the wisdom of these words, and realizes that service is of paramount importance when it comes to finding and using the right tool for the job. Making friends at your LBS is a good move, that often is begun with a gift of baked goods, fresh fruit, coffee or beer.

Look up Danscomp.
They carry the best comp bikes and they're great to deal with.

Surly ICT ops, old man mountain front and rear racks, 5" tires with ortleib panniers front and rear. It's a go-anywhere self contained mobile hunting/hiking/fishing/camping machine.

Fantastic for getting DEEP into unaccessed land in the west and getting 300 pounds of meat out in one trip on the other side.

Fat bikes brought the fun back in a major way. It's like being 5 years old again

I have an ex-professional hunter friend that rides a fatback fatbike for his hunting uses. I think he used it most for checking sites, stands, and tracking purposes, can't remember if he bated or not but I don't think he does since he used to hunt so many different areas and film. He had a pretty sweet setup like what you had I think and races the thing in our winter fatbike series.

I could never get used to the steering of a fatbike as I tend to ride a lot to trails when not riding solely road or gravel road but I'm pretty set on getting a 27.5+, just a little narrower, in the near future. I had a nice one lined up from a friend that owns a bike shop but moving and some job changes for me and the wife put a temporary hold on that. And I don't really need another bike, just like I don't need another knife.

lovin that old Proflex. I always kind of wanted one, but that was back in the day where my ego was married to riding a completely rigid steel bike, (due in part to being a starving student, no doubt)

I like the pics of your kid's bikes, that's super fun!

Back