Big Iron: Cast Iron & Carbon Steel Pans

View attachment 2155908Art's setup for boiling syrup. I copped the wood.
That's a serious operation. I just boil a little for friends and family on the back patio.
IMG_4286.JPG

In addition to these I also have a couple cast iron dutch ovens that I didn't feel like digging out for pics.

I just recently picked up this 10" carbon steel pan. Been impressed with it so far.

I realize this probably isn't what you had in mind, but it's my favorite carbon steel pan to use šŸ˜

We had a carbon steel discussion in another 'man toy' forum where you had guys swearing by Teflon, others who used nothing but SS and only a handful like myself who only use cast iron and carbon steel.

I feel sorry for anyone thatā€™s using stainless for things like eggsā€¦

I remember growing up there was a phrase when making scrambled eggs that went something like: ā€œremember to add an extra egg FOR THE PANā€. Because one eggs-worth of food would be stuck to the bottom of the pan and couldnā€™t be eaten.

I recon the SS pan guys still use that saying, but with carbon steel you get to eat ALL the eggs you cook. :)

I feel sorry for anyone thatā€™s using stainless for things like eggsā€¦

I remember growing up there was a phrase when making scrambled eggs that went something like: ā€œremember to add an extra egg FOR THE PANā€. Because one eggs-worth of food would be stuck to the bottom of the pan and couldnā€™t be eaten.

I recon the SS pan guys still use that saying, but with carbon steel you get to eat ALL the eggs you cook. :)
Stainless definitely is prone to sticking, but you'd be surprised at what you can cook in a stainless pan once you have gotten used to the optimum temperature and know how to maintain it. The type and quality of both the cooktop and the pan itself help for avoiding sticking. Cooking an egg is shockingly easy once you know how to do it.

Check out the "Leidenfrost effect" also known as the water drop method or mercury ball method. There is also some videos on Youtube of people using stainless pans cooking eggs etc. if you are interested.

I love my cast iron, but arguably stainless is more versatile once you know what you are doing. For example, you can long simmer tomato based sauces in stainless where it wouldn't be a good idea to do that with cast iron or carbon steel. On the other side, stainless has a smaller window for error so is less forgiving.

Stainless definitely is prone to sticking, but you'd be surprised at what you can cook in a stainless pan once you have gotten used to the optimum temperature and know how to maintain it. The type and quality of both the cooktop and the pan itself help for avoiding sticking. Cooking an egg is shockingly easy once you know how to do it.

Check out the "Leidenfrost effect" also known as the water drop method or mercury ball method. There is also some videos on Youtube of people using stainless pans cooking eggs etc. if you are interested.

I love my cast iron, but arguably stainless is more versatile once you know what you are doing. For example, you can long simmer tomato based sauces in stainless where it wouldn't be a good idea to do that with cast iron or carbon steel. On the other side, stainless has a smaller window for error so is less forgiving.
Huh - interesting - Iā€™ll check it out.

We do have one stainless pan thatā€™s pretty nice and light but it doesnā€™t get much use due to sticking issues. I mostly use it to sear some meats and make sauces.

I suppose itā€™s more likely that the sticking is due to my using the tool incorrectly vs. the tool being the problem. Iā€™ll have to learn itā€™s useful range better. :)

3C1243D2-4371-4B39-A23E-4FDAC6E46B87.jpeg
1DC68026-DB3D-4601-9DBD-9CF729BC65EE.jpeg
430B59CE-C918-43CE-917C-664F7C1C93D0.jpeg

Huh - interesting - Iā€™ll check it out.

We do have one stainless pan thatā€™s pretty nice and light but it doesnā€™t get much use due to sticking issues. I mostly use it to sear some meats and make sauces.

I suppose itā€™s more likely that the sticking is due to my using the tool incorrectly vs. the tool being the problem. Iā€™ll have to learn itā€™s useful range better. :)

View attachment 2173993
View attachment 2173995
View attachment 2174003
The general rule of thumb with stainless is heavier is better because of the inherent issues when the temp isn't as consistant, but it does depend on the cooktop as well, as some can control heat pretty consistently like induction and gas.

Also if you are interested, look into the low/slow method of cooking eggs on stainless. I believe you need to use a high content saturated fat like butter for it to work well, but it is a pretty foolproof way of getting non-stick, particularly if you don't like getting crispy brown edges on your eggs.

Timely discussion. Spent this morning sanding then seasoning 12 and 8 inch Lodge skillets and a Lodge 5x5 mini-griddle. Three successive trips into a 460F oven after lightly applying vegetable oil to inside and outside surfaces. I prefer to remove about 50% of the sand casting rough finish off the skillet bottoms and leaving the remainder. Seasoning will take care of the rest. All 3 are now non-stick, at least for now.

More big iron - but ceramic coated cast iron this time. These are old ā€œDescowareā€ pans from Belgium and were purchased many years ago - I think one from a flea market and one from an antique shop. They work great for sauces and acidic foods that would remove a lot of seasoning from regular cast iron.

I used the skillet last night for sausages that I simmered in 1/3 cup of water and some olive oil until the water cooked off and then browning a bit more. These are ā€œstickyā€ pans, and as expected this left a cooked-on residue, but this was easy to clean by boiling a little water in the pan to break it up - no scrubbing needed. This is essentially the same idea as deglazingā€¦
70F8A678-829D-4AEE-B6C3-6CC1D7DAA83C.jpeg0D811E43-6B7D-425B-9275-4ABD99C509BF.jpeg

The handle on the skillet is pretty nifty - itā€™s got a threaded metal sleeve through the middle that allows it to be easily detached so the pan can go in the oven.
56B267CB-4D49-4A71-A82F-308843BDCAE3.jpeg

Nice pans! I cook sausage, onions and peppers in a similar way in my pans. Onions with some olive oil, salt and pepper, covered until translucent, then add sliced red peppers on top with sausage and cover until sausage is cooked. Uncover to reduce liquid a little and scrape the bottom of the pan. The fonds on the bottom of the pan are the best.

I recently picked up one of the 12.5 inch, de Buyer Mineral B Pro frying pans. Carbon steel. Their flagship pan. Had to order it directly from de Buyer.

I never knew what I was missing. My usual go-to frying pan was cast iron. Always trying to get a good sear. Getting things crispy. Carbon steel blows away cast iron dealing with crispy. The temperature is easier to adjust and the taste of food is sharper.

I did the first seasoning with the potato skins, salt, and oil method. Then I took off cooking. Fried potatoes that came out golden brown(last night). Ground sausage, bacon, and scrambled eggs this morning. All three came out better using carbon steel verses cast iron. The texture and taste was excellent.

No problems with anything sticking. If something does stick, it's still easy to clean the pan. I'm really enjoying this frying pan.

I recently picked up one of the 12.5 inch, de Buyer Mineral B Pro frying pans. Carbon steel. Their flagship pan. Had to order it directly from de Buyer.

I never knew what I was missing. My usual go-to frying pan was cast iron. Always trying to get a good sear. Getting things crispy. Carbon steel blows away cast iron dealing with crispy. The temperature is easier to adjust and the taste of food is sharper.

I did the first seasoning with the potato skins, salt, and oil method. Then I took off cooking. Fried potatoes that came out golden brown(last night). Ground sausage, bacon, and scrambled eggs this morning. All three came out better using carbon steel verses cast iron. The texture and taste was excellent.

No problems with anything sticking. If something does stick, it's still easy to clean the pan. I'm really enjoying this frying pan.
Sounds like you weren't waiting long enough for the cast iron to get to the correct temperature. Most people give the edge to cast iron for searing(mainly because cast iron holds the heat better), although IME I don't think there is any real difference if you are doing it right. Stainless is also very good for sear and is probably a bit better for making a sauce or gravy from the browned bits left over on the bottom of the pan.

Glad you like the de Buyer though. I've talked to a few people who changed over from cast iron and most of them prefer carbon steel because it's quicker and easier to get the right temp and generally lighter to handle. Cast iron tends to be better for beginners because it's a bit more forgiving. I like both.

Sounds like you weren't waiting long enough for the cast iron to get to the correct temperature. Most people give the edge to cast iron for searing(mainly because cast iron holds the heat better), although IME I don't think there is any real difference if you are doing it right. Stainless is also very good for sear and is probably a bit better for making a sauce or gravy from the browned bits left over on the bottom of the pan.

Glad you like the de Buyer though. I've talked to a few people who changed over from cast iron and most of them prefer carbon steel because it's quicker and easier to get the right temp and generally lighter to handle. Cast iron tends to be better for beginners because it's a bit more forgiving. I like both.

2-3 minutes to preheat the carbon steel. I'd leave cast iron on a low medium flame for 10minutes. Then crank it up, using an IR Thermometer to check the pan temperature.

At 250Ā°-350Ā°F. The carbon steel is smoking oil. You have to really crank up on cast iron. While waiting because it takes so long. Overheat the thing, you have to wait for it to cool.

The heat transfer between the surface of carbon steel and cast iron. It's different. I understand that hot is hot but carbon steel transfers it to food at a different rate then cast iron.

I don't make a bunch of sauces. But if I did, stainless steel. You can make a sauce and clean the pan at the same time. But with my current cooking style, I may expand. Get a stainless pan.

2-3 minutes to preheat the carbon steel. I'd leave cast iron on a low medium flame for 10minutes. Then crank it up, using an IR Thermometer to check the pan temperature.

At 250Ā°-350Ā°F. The carbon steel is smoking oil. You have to really crank up on cast iron. While waiting because it takes so long. Overheat the thing, you have to wait for it to cool.

The heat transfer between the surface of carbon steel and cast iron. It's different. I understand that hot is hot but carbon steel transfers it to food at a different rate then cast iron.

I don't make a bunch of sauces. But if I did, stainless steel. You can make a sauce and clean the pan at the same time. But with my current cooking style, I may expand. Get a stainless pan.
To sear a steak I would preheat cast iron on a med-high heat, but anyway sounds like you've found a pan you really enjoy.

I would highly recommend stainless for added versatility. Much better for simmering things like tomato or wine based recipes as well.

To sear a steak I would preheat cast iron on a med-high heat, but anyway sounds like you've found a pan you really enjoy.

I would highly recommend stainless for added versatility. Much better for simmering things like tomato or wine based recipes as well.

I have a few stainless pots. If I need to fry anything over stainless. I use the pot the sauce will be in.

Don't think I haven't been looking at the All-Clad stainless frying pans.

I just don't need it. Sure it'd be fun to try out. Keeping it surgical clean and bright. Shiny chrome. But actually frying stuff, the things I cook. Dedicated pan. I vote carbon steel, hands down.

I vote carbon steel, hands down.
Just started using my own carbon steel pan and so far itā€™s my favorite to cook with. Especially with eggs (which I cook more often than anything else) the pan is great - I can even flip fried eggs now which is a first for me.

Here it is after the first potato seasoning next to my 9ā€ cast iron and another pan Iā€™m returning:
7B89CA7B-5AE4-4847-A0D0-07E5CFAA55A7.jpeg

After doing lots of reading I decided to buy a Matfer 9.5ā€ carbon pan, as it was slightly lighter than my 9ā€ cast pan. Unfortunately when ir arrived both my wife and I thought it felt too heavy for itā€™s size - we really wanted a handier pan than our cast iron.

So back to researching I came across an even lighter weight pan by an Italian company called Balarini. Itā€™s a half pound lighter than the Matfer and it has quickly become my favorite pan.

Also itā€™s very inexpensive as a bonus so thereā€™s no good reason not to try one out - especially if you like omelets and want a pan that you donā€™t have to replace every few yearsā€¦

Yeah, the de Buyer pan isn't much lighter then the same size cast iron. You see guys in videos flipping an egg by using the pan. Tossing it up and catching it in the pan.

Unless you have massive forearms. You're not going to be doing that in this de Buyer. At least not one handed. The pan is a serious chunk of steel.

Tossing it up and catching it in the pan.
I did have the feeling that there was something wrong with my technique.

I have 2 carbon steel skillets from Misen, which I am quite pleased with (not the pre-seasoned ones with the silicon grip). They're pretty hefty, but not as heavy as their cast iron counterparts. I enjoy cooking with all of my skillets, carbon steel, cast iron, and stainless. As mentioned, the carbon steel pans are the most responsive, heat-wise, but they all do a great job searing.

I can't think of a good reason to use my old 12" cast iron. I enjoy the bigger pans. Feels weird to use anything under 10".

No clue, to what recipe I'd cook that would require cast iron. For the texture or taste.

Big benefit of cast iron is you can stick it in the oven. I can do that with carbon steel. I made sure I bought a pan that was oven approved. Not just sticking it the oven for a few minutes. I can leave it in the oven as long as I want.

As for stainless. Just frying in it. Having to use cleaning powder to get rid of stains. Practically buffing the pan. I'm out.

I like the way fried potatoes turn out in my cast iron skillets. But probably the main reason I love the old things is because they are dinosaurs, just like me, and deserve to have a continued useful life. Only talking about the pans with that last phrase. I started using them decades ago, before they became fashionable.

The stainless does have a way of getting spots. The inside of mine is cleans up mirror-bright, but the same can't be said about the outside bottom. Good thing I don't care very much about that. Barkeeper's Friend does a good job for the tough stains.

Back