Bill Bagwell Knives

Eric That really is a fantastic knife

Cool Damascus and killer birds head

I love that everybody posts these up on Pootsy's Thread and I think that everyone should do so to kinda make a huge reference of Bills work.

But I would also like to say that some of these knives truly deserve there own thread and can be added here also

Eric That really is a fantastic knife

Cool Damascus and killer birds head

I love that everybody posts these up on Pootsy's Thread and I think that everyone should do so to kinda make a huge reference of Bills work.

But I would also like to say that some of these knives truly deserve there own thread and can be added here also

You guys ever consider a Bill Bagwell Forum?
Perhaps that's the answer.

Well I guess you guys don't want me around here anymore.

That is Fine I will respect your suggestion

Such a drama queen, you are!:D

There is a makers section on the Forums with individual makers represented, and other than the fact that you think it is humourous to intentionally spell words badly, you would make a fine Moderator for a Bill Bagwell sub-forum. Talk to Bill and see if he likes the idea.

As far as an 15 page thread devoted to Bagwell's work, this shows a possible need for his own forum, and if you really want to help Bill increase his exposure, than that would be the next logical step.

From a personal standpoint, if I never have to see another Bagwell knife on the Customs S/F, I wouldn't cry, but as I always say, there is an ass for every seat, a knife for every hand.;)

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:

Joe, that couldn't be farther from the truth.
You are one of the most productive, respected and well liked participants on this forum. Your knowledge and love of hunting, fishing and firearms really offers a nice tie-in and a welcome break from the knives at times.

In addition, you are one of the most, if not the most positive person here.

Your insight, opinions, and sharing of Bill Bagwell's knives are just part of your welcomed contributions here.

However, though I believe everyone here loves being exposed to Bill's knives (myself included), Just perhaps, this thread may be approaching too much of a good thing for some. Thus my suggestion.

Of course Steven, Bob nor myself were suggesting you go away or that we don't want to see Bill's knives posted here.

The place wouldn't be the same without you.

Just a casual observation from out in left field. It would appear that in addition to the collectors of Bill's work that quite a few other folks have read, contributed to, and enjoyed this thread. (Myself included) Therefore, I conclude that a Bagwell forum could be very successful, but I'm not sure Bill has the time to contribute regularly and answer questions, make comments etc. I do know he is hampered by his available internet connection which is dial up.

As to the growth of the collector base, ( of interest to CKCA members in particular), It also appears that more than one person has decided to, and acted upon ordering a knife from Bagwell. (Myself included) So I view that as positive.

As to those, or that one who may think this is too much of a good thing, and Kevin is apparently exempt by virtue of his most recent post, I wish that they or he had balls enough to post up with their own entry so I could remind them that IF THEY DON'T LIKE THIS THREAD, PLEASE BY ALL MEANS DO NOT CLICK ON IT!!!!. It's just that simple.

Finally, Joey, I think based solely on what is printed in this tread and without benefit of other private conversations on the subject, prior to the posting, that you may have misinterpreted the intended meaning of Kevin, Bob, and Stevie's initial post and read something into it that was not there. You do know that is possible....right??? So, I think that you should definitely reconsider your departing post and DELETE it and come on back and join the party, at which you are genuinely a key member. (This will also keep me from harrassing you privately on the matter.)

That's all, except, I really like this place and all who enter.

Paul

Last edited:

I just this moment read the part of the thread subsequent to my post.

Hey, hey, hey, my post was PURELY to give the man his due. I intend to read every post about Bill Bagwell, no matter where the forum. Paul is reading me right - you really did misinterpret my point in a huge way. I enjoy every bit of this and my intention was pure.

Don't you dare go away!!

Joe,

I agree 100% with Paul's last post especially:

IF THEY DON'T LIKE THIS THREAD, PLEASE BY ALL MEANS DO NOT CLICK ON IT!!!!.

I don't collect Bagwell knives, but I have enjoyed this thread and seen some great knives. Bill Bagwell has contributed greatly to custom knives.

I have no problem with a post whether it is 1 page or 100 pages long if it is interesting.

As far as I know the Custom Knife Forum is for discussions of custom knives. I didn't know that we now have Forum Police who are in charge of deciding what members should post.

I agree again with Paul:

IF THEY DON'T LIKE THIS THREAD, PLEASE BY ALL MEANS DO NOT CLICK ON IT!!!!.

Jim Treacy

Well after a decade of wanting one i finally received my dream knife from Bill yesterday and it is a killer one! Eventhough i have a carbon steel version that i use all the time i always wanted a damascus version because i have never seen a knife i liked more than it. I feel very fortunate because most people can't say they own the knife they've wanted more than any and now i do.

this one has a big 11 1/4" blade with spanish notch. OAL is 17 1/8". the knife feels great in the hand despite feeling quite a bit heavier than my carbon HB. for comparisons sake the carbon blade measures 10 1/2" with an OAL of 16 5/8". When i told Bill i wanted a longer blade this time he warned me the knife's dimensions would get bigger all around to keep it balanced right. I'm glad i backed the length back down from 12" because this one is a hefty blade as is. it carries its massive spine thickness further towards the tip than the smaller carbon HB.

The african blackwood handle has some deep black coloring mixed with a rich brown. Bill said it has a translucent look to it and i agree with him. It was his last piece in stock and he saved the best for last i think:D I chose to go with the classic pin motiff instead of the flower stud like on my carbon blade. As much as i like the flower i had invisioned this knife as is for a long time now. To me it represents Bill's most classic design and is what the Ontario HB is based off of. Stag might be more attractive but i think Bill's coffin allows for the best fighting handle.

my pics are very sloppy i know but i'm not a photographer and i don't even own my own camera so this is what i come out with borrowed equipment. all apologies for that.
002-3.jpg

side by side shot
003-3.jpg

an attempt at showing the great pattern
005-1.jpg

and the blackwood handle
006-3.jpg

i took this one indoors with a flash so it didn't come out that great.
004-1.jpg

if i can find someone who is better at taking pics i will get some better ones on here. I would also like to thank Bill for making this for me and i know it was tough forging it in the Texas summer but i would say he still did a fantastic job despite 100* heat. Also a big thanks to Joe for all of his pics and talk about Bagwell's over the past few years. Would of never got it without you bud:thumbup:

Mark, that is a beautiful pair of Belle's there and I am quite envious.

Paul, congratulations on your order and will be looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Erik, can see why that one is a favorite. One of my orders will be a birds head and hopefully damascus.

Last edited:
Just my $0.02. I think this is one of the best knife threads anywhere, and Joe is one of the most decent, gentlemanly, and helpful guys participating in any Internet forum bar none. I think it's all good; so, why don't we just carry on and enjoy the party. Cheers, boys.

Mark, that is a beautiful pair of Belle's there and I am quite envious.

i am still quite amazed myself. this is the only knife i'm allowing myself for quite awhile but it was a good one.

As a Bagwell fan and a person who did his share of contribution to this thread i think i can understand where some of the non participants were coming from. At times there were 3 or more Bagwell threads at the top of the page which i didn't mind as i love the knives but to someone who doesn't it could be a bit much (maybe?) Sorta like someone who dislikes brand X going in brand X subforum.

I hope Joe doesn't leave the forum because he has been such a helpful guy in the custom's forum and out. STeven and Joe have always ribbed each other in these threads and i didn't see this one any different until others put it in a different perspective. No reason for feelings to get hurt over a hobby we all love.

Mark

Just another $0.02 from the peanut gallery. I always find Joe's threads interesting and informative with this one being no exception. With approaching 20,000 views, I think it's safe to say many agree that this is a fine thread.

Joe, please don't let any negative vibes, intended or not, from any particularly vocal members unsettle you.

Thanks for all your contributions,
Dave

One 15 page thread doesn't a sub forum make.
I really don't think a Bagwell sub forum would last.
The guys are playing catch up posting all the Bagwell pics.
After that has run it's course, future threads would be about new and recent purchases.
Personally I don't see that as enough to keep a sub forum going.
Especially since Mr. Bagwell makes knives for folks beyond bf.
:)

Its the variety that keeps this forum interesting.

The above and $2.25 will get you on the subway.

I agree that this is a VERY informative thread. I had heard of Mr. Bagwell but didn't know much about him. It was a pleasure to have had the insight into his personality and his knives.

I also agree that it probably would NOT the best idea for a Bagwell forum, especially if his only internet access is via dial-up.

Lastly, Joe, I like your contributions to the forum, as your perspective is unique considering you USE the knives you post about.

Peter

The traditional forum has a couple of long running threads with over 5000 posts on one and 1000 plus on the other. If someone has called for a separate forum for them, I missed it. Truthfully I hope they never do, as I enjoy both the way they are. If I see a thread on any forum that I am not interested in I don't open it, it is that simple.

Kevin, you have called for a Bagwell forum at least twice now. If you don't like it, please don't look at it. If it has not been done before, maybe start a thread on Dean's, Fisk's or something else that you like. I would certainly like to see more of their work and if it got to a point where I lost interest in it then I would quit following it. There would be no reason to call for a separate forum, or post negative things.

I will never be able to thank Joe enough for the inspiration, enthusiasm and knowledge he has shared with me in regards to custom knives and bowies in particular. With his hectic schedule, just taking the time to answer my 587 and 1/2 questions ( many are repeats) over the last few months shows what kind of person he is.
Hopefully, Joe will reconsider and continue to participate here, as it wont be the same with out him.

Time to go, stayed to long and said to much.

The traditional forum has a couple of long running threads with over 5000 posts on one and 1000 plus on the other. If someone has called for a separate forum for them, I missed it. Truthfully I hope they never do, as I enjoy both the way they are. If I see a thread on any forum that I am not interested in I don't open it, it is that simple.

Kevin, you have called for a Bagwell forum at least twice now. If you don't like it, please don't look at it.

Time to go, stayed to long and said to much.

There is a fine line between stifling free speech, and trying to keep things on track.

Many of you know that I am involved in Japanese Martial Arts, sword arts specifically. My Sensei is from Japan, Masayuki Shimabukuro, Hanshi. He is over 60 years old, and who will replace him as the United States representative for our art is a question. No matter what, when he is gone, there will be a loss felt worldwide.

What Bill Bagwell knows, what he has done with his life, the range of his experiences is of similar importance to the knife community, and it isn't too late to record his thoughts, and open a dialogue. Make no mistake, it is NOT of personal interest....but I DO recognize the importance of what he has to say, of what he does.

So the idea of a forum wrt Bill Bagwell would be much bigger than many of you seem to see, and that makes me sad.

That Bill, and perhaps Joe may have no interest in doing a forum is obviously key, but should that change, the richness of the conversations and recollections would be fantastically informative to ALL of us as to what the state of knives were like when Bill started so many decades ago, and how things have changed. It is one thing to research it, and another thing entirely to have that verbal history pass down from one of the elders.

Joe is my good friend, and he may not like what I said publicly, but I don't regret it. He's kind of shy. The only regret that I have is that the vision that many of my peers have is so cloudy and obfuscated with personal interest. It isn't about me, and it isn't about you, it is about us.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I like this thread and believe that it is appropriate to this forum as much as any other.

It might serve to help promote Bagwell's work, no doubt, and also to help boost the 'value' of Bagwell knives for some collectors of his work, but the thread is motivated by sincerity and that's great. It all seems honorable and on the up and up to me.

There is no hidden agenda that I can see- this thread is what it is, a thread about a knife maker's work, and the respect and admiration that many of his collectors maintain for the man. There is a growing number of contributors to this thread, and many topics within it, not just two or three guys fawning over a maker for questionable reasons.

It's all good and although I haven't participated in this one, I do enjoy the thread. I hope it keeps on keeping on.

Back