Bill Bagwell Knives

Anybody out there got some pics of any, and I mean any Bagwell knives, just love his knives and love having a dream bout owning one :D. I've one being made at the mo so I'm just lusting over what pics I have :D

Cheers Pootsy
The site has some honest-to-goodness Bagwell bowies for sale.
SZacharyH

Bill Bagwell has so many orders that he doesn't carry his own knives himself, although he may be making one now. The only company I kow that has genuine Bagwell Bowies for sale is mine, at http://www.blaydzpurveyors.com
Steve Hurewitz

IMAG1340.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG1341.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a picture of my Bagwell I inherited from my dad. I know he had this knife in the 70's and always had it with him when he went hunting. Craftsmanship in unparalled . It just exudes quality when you hold it in your hand.

How cool is that !
Congrats on having your father's hunting knife.
Heirloom Bagwells passed down in families are very special indeed.

Doug

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it ! I was wondering why this blade was so short on this one. Is that designed to be for more concealment or does it have a more practical hunting purpose such as skinning a deer ?

Fantastic thread with some great Bagwell knives (arent they all!) super input from some of the usual suspects.

Those Bagwell knives are simply out of this World - thanks for posting. They made my day!

As a purely theoretical question; those carry big knives like some of these Bagwell Bowies - what are the length of the blades on those knives, that you carry concealed? What would be the optimal lenght of the knives?

I cant imagine, that its easy to carry one of these concealed. Not least in a warm climate.

Last edited:
Bladescout

Carrying a big Bowie concealed is not easy but it is do able

When I was traveling abroad when I was in the bush I would have it either sash carry which is very comfortable or lashed to a pack

When I would get near civilization town , village etc I'm would go IWB with it for short times and or when I was in public

Under a light cover garment just like a pistol it virtually disappears

Warm weather is always a challenge no matter what you are carrying

Length of what a man can carry IWB depends on a few different things like height , torso length etc

I'm almost 5 ' 8" and a 9 1/2 inch blade worked well for me

A fellow that is 6 ft or more could carry longer

Thanks for input, Joe. I was hoping you would comment, as you had touched upon the subject.

9 1/2 blade (blade, not OAL) seems about right. That blade length would assure, that you had sufficient length for both a pig sticker and - in theory (and other assorted PC nonsense) - SD.

Im 6.4 and can see how that blade length would be conceable under a light garment like a vest or shirt (where legal blah, blah, blah).

As for handle configuration - I like a straight handle (for speed) but would assume a sabre handle (which works better for thrust/power, as I understand it correctly?) might Work better for (theoretical) concealment purposes?

Handles are so important in both the concealment and proper use criteria

A coffin like Bill does indexes very well and act as a natural wedge in the hand the harder you swing it the more it seems to wedge in the hand. It facilitates back cuts and because Bills are ever so slightly curved they really work well with the saber grip.

All and all its really hard to best a coffin handle that's done well. The small throat of the gip land itself well to snap cuts also.

On a pure functional level Bill does one of the best Coffin Handles out there.

The only other handle that does it all is a full contoured handle such as the ones done by Knight , Wheeler , Lurquin , DeRosier, CAS and a few others

But in the end a good old piece of Stag will always get it done :)

Right, a 91/2 inch coffin handle would be fantastic - Ive always wanted a coffin handle Bowie let alone a Bagwell (though the other makers you mention are all favourites of mine).

That would be something. Now you got me obsessing about one....

The Bagwell bowies are a decent knife but need a few simple modifications to make them true combat weapons with realistic field and weapon utility....

A simple and less expensive factory version was used as a trial and sent to troops for evaluation....the fencing/dueling specific guard was replaced with a larger guard which actually protected hand from both an opponent's blade and brush....

The blade weakening notch was welded up, likewise the weak tang beefed up, more mass (but not thickness!) was added to spine to increase shearing penetration with a blow, the tip reshaped to raise it to centerline, and finally, a laminated handle which could take the abuse of a real combat environment....

The troops seem to like it enough i can find 10 photos of my mod for every 1 of an unmodified Bagwell in actual combat...i should maybe patent it?

Any actual Bagwell owners feel free to send me your knives and i will perform these modifications for free and turn your play-pretty into a REAL combat knife with only a two week turn-around....by the time i am done, you will not recognize your knife.

Last edited:
The Bagwell bowies are a decent knife but need a few simple modifications to make them true combat weapons with realistic field and weapon utility....

A simple and less expensive factory version was used as a trial and sent to troops for evaluation....the fencing/dueling specific guard was replaced with a larger guard which actually protected hand from both an opponent's blade and brush....

The blade weakening notch was welded up, likewise the weak tang beefed up, more mass (but not thickness!) was added to spine to increase shearing penetration with a blow, the tip reshaped to raise it to centerline, and finally, a laminated handle which could take the abuse of a real combat environment....

The troops seem to like it enough i can find 10 photos of my mod for every 1 of an unmodified Bagwell in actual combat...i should maybe patent it?

Any actual Bagwell owners feel free to send me your knives and i will perform these modifications for free and turn your play-pretty into a REAL combat knife with only a two week turn-around....by the time i am done, you will not recognize your knife.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not...

Have you any pictures of your modifications?

Yeah, his post is kind of a WTF. :confused:

Wonder what Bill Bagwell thinks ?!
If he even knows...

Doug

Last edited:
Back