Bitten by a BK9

I was doing some photography for a catalog we are working on and I had a little accident. What sucks it I wasn't copping or using the knife, I was taking a freaking picture.

The cool thing about the whole deal is it really didn't hurt. the shot was the worst part.

This was a 5 stitch cut.

So you want a picture?

THE%20BITE%2006-11-09.JPG

THE%20BITE%202%2006-11-09.JPG

Ouch. That looks like it smarts! I had a similar cut when I first got my BK-7. Those Beckers are sharp out of the box.

Dang. Sorry that happened to you. Take care of it.

You've got to work up a good story now to go with the scar!

Sorry to hear about that. How exactly did you cut yourself? Just rearranging the knife for a different shot? Hopefully a quick heal.

I had a bunch of large fixed blades standing up on end. I was doing a picture for a catalog I'm sending out in a few months. An RD9 started to fall, as I went to grab it I hit another knife and it was like a domino effect. The last on the line was a BK9. When it fell it hit half on the table and half off. This caused it to catapult the blade into my finger. As soon as it hit me if felt a little weird but it didn't hurt. The cut laid me open very nicely and I had blood pumping out instantly, thats when I new I'd have to get stitches. This is the best/worst cut I every had from a knife.

Here is the picture I was working on:

THE%20POST%20CARD%20b.JPG

Hey Tom....

Sorry to hear and see ....BAD cut placement for an active guy....Hope it was your weak hand at least.....I hope for a speedy recovery....

All Best...

ethan

Ooooo, that looks like it'll leave a mark. Hope it heals up soon.

And only an engineer would ask why the BK3 is the only one facing blade left?

Heal fast!

yah, that makes for awkward group shots with the other Beckers esp :)

wow, awesome cut! glad it's not worse. keep it clean, and come up with a good story ;)

Bladite

Cool picture - its easy to compare those knives now.
Scary cut. But you had some luck - flying BK9 could possibly cut your finger of.

Bridgeman, I had to face the BK3 blade left to show the tang stamp and it is the best view to show the serrations and grinds on the blade.

My thoughts were the same as yours idaho, that knife could have cut that finger off and sliced into the next finger. If it would have hit me perpendicular instead of at an angle in very well may have done that.

Ethan, thanks for the good wishes. I also got to tell you it was a thrill for me to meet you at the Blade Show, That will be something I'll be telling my grandchildren about someday. Thank you for all or your great knife designs.

Bridgeman, I had to face the BK3 blade left to show the tang stamp and it is the best view to show the serrations and grinds on the blade.

I realized that. My post would have been better worded "Only an engineer would CARE that the BK3 was facing left." And few people care about what engineers care about!

That really is an awesome slice. You didn't hurt the edge of the knife did you? (something my dad would have asked!)

Bridgeman, we care, but many of us do so indirectly. I used to work with a bunch of engineers and would joke that I wanted to drive on the roads and bridges they designed and built and none built by my biologist friends :)!

that bk9 has tasted blood... it ain't ever gonna be right again...

best send it to me and I'll put it down...

<a guy has to try>

Hope you heal fast!

Awesome cut!!!
The great thing about the BK9 that I can see, is that it's so sharp
that it cuts very very clean!!!
My BK9 bite was nothing like that. Just the pad of the forefinger,
but it was also such a clean cut that I didn't feel a thing until the
blood started spurting out too!

Nice pic by the way!!

Nice pic. Sorry about the cut! Makes me want another Becker! I ONLY have 2 so far...

Back