BK handles/sheath

I hear a lot of complains about the handles and mainly the sheath, but I have also seen a review where the guy said he was chopping in the rain with his bk7 and it never slipped once. And to me I don't really see any problem with the sheath, for the price I would buy the knife if it didn't come with a sheath.

I'm about to order a BK7 soon, the only negative things I have heard is those things. But I'm wondering, does anyone have any positive things to say about the handles and sheath?

Thanks!

-Will

The 7 is a great knife, excellent considering the price. The handle is much "grippier" than it first feels. But if it's not enough for you, an upgraded handle can be had for $40, or free if you are into one of the many modifications you'll find here.
As for the sheath, it's not "custom quality," but there again, you have to figure in the price point. I have never had an issue with them. None of mine(77,9) rattle, and they've never fallen out.

One of the things I have heard mentioned is that the default grivory scales that come with the Becker line are nice to work with for extended periods of time because they are so smooth. That might just be personal preference, but I can see how a more "grippy" surface could be detrimental after extended use.

My suggestion would be to get the knife, use it, and if you find it is not as grippy as you need, go to town and mod those scales, or drop the $40 for the micarta option.

There have been some rather, er, um, large men of stature, soak the handles of a BK7 in transmission fluid, and repeatedly stab it into wood, both forward thrust and downward thrust. No slippage, and thats with the grivory.

DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!! It is dangerous and can result in injury. The gentlemen who performed this action, was batshite nuts.

Should you want to test the slippage, there are better ways than this. I like, this one, we your hand with water, and with the knife in the SHEATh, grab the handle and start twisting, back and forth, in about 3-4 twists, you won't be able to twist in anymore comforatably, you'll feel like the skin on your hands are coming off. Go ahead, try it, WITH THE KNIFE IN THE SHEATH.

Moose

Should you want to test the slippage, there are better ways than this. I like, this one, we your hand with water, and with the knife in the SHEATh, grab the handle and start twisting, back and forth, in about 3-4 twists, you won't be able to twist in anymore comforatably, you'll feel like the skin on your hands are coming off. Go ahead, try it, WITH THE KNIFE IN THE SHEATH.

Moose

I just tried it. The handle is pretty smooth...
What was supposed to happen?

thanks for the comments, I'm glad I found this forum. Maybe it's just such a great 10 out of 10 knife, that the 8 out of 10 scales and sheath stick out at bad compared to the great slab of metal you're getting for a great price.

I just wonder why they don't offer them brand new with the better scales or a better sheath. Have different options; the same one they have now for the great price, but have the nicer ones already put together for a higher price.

I hope I like it enough on it's own. I really wouldn't want to spend an extra $40 for scales when I could throw in another $15 and get a BK2.

I hear a lot of complains about the handles and mainly the sheath, but I have also seen a review where the guy said he was chopping in the rain with his bk7 and it never slipped once. And to me I don't really see any problem with the sheath, for the price I would buy the knife if it didn't come with a sheath.

I'm about to order a BK7 soon, the only negative things I have heard is those things. But I'm wondering, does anyone have any positive things to say about the handles and sheath?

Thanks!

-Will

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I kind of like the grivory. I have never had any negative issue with it. A lot of people don't like the plastic look of it, but it works. I've battoned the BK9 where the blade and handle both took repeated strikes and not one blemish to the handles. For heavy chopping I usually wear some light gloves(motocross, cause I have 15 pairs), so slippy is not a big deal. Never had a Becker slip from my hand. The BK7 is a great choice and will serve you well.
Picture007.jpg

Making a batton
Picture010.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Came with a mini remora
Picture028.jpg

Even works in the kitchen
Picture037.jpg

Picture038.jpg

very cool, thanks for uploading those pics. I'm satisfied with my decision to get the BK7. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be disappointed once I got it. I don't get much extra spending money and I wanted to get the best knife I could for under $75. I think the BK7 is it. I just love the thick blade, the awesome thumb ramp, and the full tang where it sticks out at the bottom is so cool. Thank you all, I'm officially sold on this knife (and the rest of the Beckers!).

And sheath wise, I won't be wearing it on my belt anyway, I just need to to protect the blade and myself when transporting it. The handles; I'm sure there are better, but I bet these are better than any of the ones I currently own on my knives. Plus I won't be using it heavily, just light use for the time being.

Anyone ever tried tennis or hockey stick grip tape?

Last edited:

Mine gets "grippier". I don't think thats a real word, but I get better traction if my hands are wet, as opposed to being dry. YMMV, but that what it feels like to me.

Moose

wmc,

welcome aboard glad to have you here.. I think you've made a great decision with your choice in Becker products. I have a 7 and its so worth the money, I too think the grips are outstanding and have no desire whatsoever to upgrade. Just be sure to tighten them when you get it, or like I've done use loctite on the screws.

I've heard others complain about the sheath also, but you know what Its great, yeah its not the highest quality but its functional, like you said the knife without the sheath is still worth the money..

Also if you're getting the BK7 for less then the BK2 somethings wrong.. the 7 costs more everywhere I've looked and i own and have shopped out both.. I got my BK2 shipped for I think$56..

Take care..

I've had similar experiences as previus posters. I don't find the handles slick at all.
with the small guard on the front and the "beak" on the end, my hand is going to stay.
Sheath is workable, but maybe not as tough as it should be, but it does keep the knife priced lower.
Great knife and you won't be disapointed !

what happens is that heat activate the skin handle connection, and little fibers grow out and bond with your skin permanently fusing the handle to you skin.

in Moosez case, there's probably just a LITTLE dirt on his handles, and a couple warmup grabs, it locks right down ;)

brandy new, there might even be some "mold release" or just plain factory smoothness that quickly breaks in - very subtle - probably hard to see - but it does. 25-30 years say the handles work for most.

Bladite

There was a member who used to post here a few years ago that was a butcher by trade, and he loved the handles. The magnum camp was one of his favorite processing knives because, as he stated, any knife handle in that environment gets extremely slick, but the shape of the handle is what made it secure.

His input was a strong influence on addressing my very same concerns and it has proved true. Even if it feels a little slick, the shape is not conducive to loss of control.

My 2 cents :)

I never had any issues with the handles, I like them. As a matter of fact it's one of the most comfortable handles I have come across (especially the slimmer Ka-Bar version). Perhaps micarta or G10 slabs would make them look better or different and could be an upgrade that way.

I don't care what anyone says, I like the stock handles. That's one of the things that first drew me to the Becker line.

My only complaint about the BK-7 and 9 sheaths is that they tend to be LOUD. I bowhunt deer and loud gear doesn't work for me. I fixed my loud BK-11 sheath problem by gluing a bit of inner tube in the neck of the sheath. My son fixed his BK-7 sheath noise but stuffing some inner tube in there. Not ideal - but it seems to work just fine.

---

Beckerhead #42

I find no fault with the stock grips. I went micarta anyways. Kind of like putting fancy wheels on a jeep.

Many folks complain about the sheaths but I can tell you this. It beats the heck out of the tactical cardboard that ships with many "High End" knives.

I've posted this elsewhere, but it shows the micarta well. For an extra $40.00 I like it. Interchangeable between knives, removable, visually appealing. But definitely an option, not a necessity.

Just got my BK7 in the mail. I personally love the sheath and the scales (as others have said). Yes, when I shake it around I can hear the blade hitting the plastic but who cares, it doesn't make a sound when it's on my belt. And I'm not trying to be a ninja.

But like was also said I would like to eventually get custom scales and a new sheath just to make it extra nice. Thats what I love about Beckers, they are customizable and you can make upgrades when you have the money.

All I could afford was a good quality blade and if I never upgrade any part of it I'm thrilled. Like someone else said "this thing is like the KaBar USMC on steroids!". :)

Can't wait for the BK2 and BK9!

I haven't seen this idea posted in a while, but back when Becker talk was mostly in W&SS, I used to see threads where people had sand blasted the Camillus handles. Haven't seen that mentioned on this forum yet.

If you want a little more tackiness, the easiest fix IMO is to simply stretch some bike inner tube over the handle. Takes a bit of tugging and rolling to get it right, so be sure to install it with the KNIFE IN THE SHEATH! (You have been warned.) It does make for a grippier handle.

I haven't seen this idea posted in a while, but back when Becker talk was mostly in W&SS, I used to see threads where people had sand blasted the Camillus handles. Haven't seen that mentioned on this forum yet.

If you want a little more tackiness, the easiest fix IMO is to simply stretch some bike inner tube over the handle. Takes a bit of tugging and rolling to get it right, so be sure to install it with the KNIFE IN THE SHEATH! (You have been warned.) It does make for a grippier handle.

Not a bad idea, plus you have some tinder.

Only negative for the sheath is the single huge loop. The handles weren't to my liking, though I will have to give it another try, have a bk7 coming my way. The sister company/site to spec-ops has the large sheath on clearance FYI.:thumbup: Is that considering deal spotting?

Back