BK9 Losing it's Virginity! Pics!

Well, somehow I managed to find myself at home without the wife or kids, and I actually had a little time before work. Also, the wife has been lazy, and hasn't wrapped my BK9 yet... :D

So I took off to my play area in the back yard to see what all the fuss was about!

First a shot with the hawk:

DSC00644.jpg

Sitting on top of it's first piece of wood to baton:

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

The almost sharpened spine at the end of the blade kept breaking the smaller batons I was using. Solution: Get a bigger baton.

Let's see how she chops:

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

Hmmmm, here's one of those pesky knots people keep warning about:

DSC00652.jpg

Broke the wood off before it, but still went right through:

DSC00653.jpg

All done! The big piece at the bottom is what I was using for a baton.

DSC00654.jpg

Now to put her back in the box so the wife can wrap her up for christmas! :D

Something about taking large sharp things and breaking other things that just puts a smile on my face.....

I love my Beckers!

Yep, she's a beast! Looks like you have a pretty nice play area there. Replete with the obligatory fire pit. :cool: I'm a little jealous!

Nice pics btw. I like the 9, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet...

Yep, she's a beast! Looks like you have a pretty nice play area there. Replete with the obligatory fire pit. :cool: I'm a little jealous!

Nice pics btw. I like the 9, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet...

Yeah I don't get to get out in the woods much, but I can make a fire, sit in my chair with the back to the house and look at the trees behind my house while I drink beer.

Not as good as actual woods time, but there is beer, so that's a plus. :thumbup:

Nice post!

I use the BK9 for fire pit duty also. Combined with the BK2, there's nothing it can't handle.

Nice post!

I use the BK9 for fire pit duty also. Combined with the BK2, there's nothing it can't handle.

My little brother is getting a BK2. It's BEEFY. I'm gonna have to pick one up next. I also think I've got my stepdad hooked on Beckers. It's gonna be a family thing here soon... :thumbup:

The family that Beckers together, wreckers together.

Moose

That BK9 looks like its right at home in that log.. Its doin what its intended for, demolishing what it comes in contact with. How sharp is that front top edge? I have not seen any beckers in person as of yet "BK2 is on the way as we speak"and was just curious if its as sharp as the blade or just kind of sharp.
Thanks Ray.

That BK9 looks like its right at home in that log.. Its doin what its intended for, demolishing what it comes in contact with. How sharp is that front top edge? I have not seen any beckers in person as of yet "BK2 is on the way as we speak"and was just curious if its as sharp as the blade or just kind of sharp.
Thanks Ray.

The top edge is actually blunted, in that there is no prepared edge. You can sharpen it, and Cam had the Hog Hunter model, the BK9HH, some members here have them. All it was, was a factory sharpend swedge/false edge/top edge, whatever you want to call it.

I did it once a 7 and a 9 and I didn't like it for a woodland knife at all. Now, for a combat knife, I think its a must.

Moose

Great pics, always fun making a Becker (or any knife) not looks so shiny and new any more.

Yeah I don't get to get out in the woods much, but I can make a fire, sit in my chair with the back to the house and look at the trees behind my house while I drink beer.

Not as good as actual woods time, but there is beer, so that's a plus. :thumbup:

Quote of the day points right here boys!:thumbup:

Great pics, and the BK9 is my favorite..best bang for the buck in that class of tool, IMO.

The top edge is actually blunted, in that there is no prepared edge. You can sharpen it, and Cam had the Hog Hunter model, the BK9HH, some members here have them. All it was, was a factory sharpend swedge/false edge/top edge, whatever you want to call it.

I did it once a 7 and a 9 and I didn't like it for a woodland knife at all. Now, for a combat knife, I think its a must.

Moose

It does look pretty kool though. :D

NICE! Thanks for the pix! Isnt it a pleasure to use? Mine ate up about a three inch piece of blackjack oak on her maiden voyage. Choppity chop chop.. and we are through that big ol branch! Gotta love that!

Thanks Ray.

It's not actually sharp, but it comes to enough of a point to eat the smaller batons I was using. Hitting the baton a little further up the spine or just using a bigger baton works great.

Quote of the day points right here boys!:thumbup:

Great pics, and the BK9 is my favorite..best bang for the buck in that class of tool, IMO.

Thanks. I like my little area. Here are a few more pics. There is a house straight back about 300 yards or so, so I can't shoot or anything but it is great for getting out and forgetting about bills and crap for a little while.

Plenty enough room for building fires, playing with knives, throwing the hawk, practicing building traps and such.

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

ARGH! I'm jealous. I've had a BK-9 & a Trail Hawk on my list for ages now, but they are definitely not under the tree.

*grumble*

In time my preciouseseseses...

I'm just curious, does that 'ramp' on top get in the way while batonning?

If you are talking about the thumb ramp, then no it hasn't for me. I don't see any reason to be hitting that close to the handle when you've got 9 inches of blade though.

Looks like a beautiful place. You need a bow in your life (longbow, of course :D ) so you can do some shooting in your yard. I recommend a Howard Hill longbow - they look great in the company of Beckers.

20101215_ac_12.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

Back