Blade Magazine 2012 Kitchen Knife Of The Year®: Taiyo by Shun/KAI USA

Finally got to edit some of the pics of the Shun Taiyo.

I have to say that it was very difficult to photograph this knife because it was too large for the tiny octaboxes I had with me, and it was so highly polished.
There are only a few pics and I don't think they really do it justice.

It is a beautiful knife that seemed comfortable and well balanced. I would definitely like a few of these in my kitchen to replace the Shun Kramers that departed with my ex.

Blade steel is SG2, with incredibly intricate stainless damascus cladding. It's difficult to get across how sharp it was; whenever I moved it on the plastic that was covering the table it would take bits off wherever there was the tiniest particle of anything that might cause a bump.

Enjoy!

Taiyo-2 by gbkneedeep, on Flickr

Beautiful knife and pictures! The damascus looks like water flowing from the handle. Stunning.

Wow, It is beautiful. I would love to have one of these in my kitchen.

That is so nice!

Hopefully your pictures arn't representing the knife better than it is in person.

Beautiful pictures as always. This was one that blew me away. I kind of see where they got taiyo [plus it sounds better than what my imagination first thought]. Which was koori [ice]/ touketsu [frozen] - i forget the word for frozen river x.x - I know kawa is river but Ive never used the word frozen river together lol x.x / And unfortunately I am not aware of a 1 worded adjective for water crystal. Anyway you know the beauty has done its job when it spurs on the imagination

That is so nice!

Hopefully your pictures arn't representing the knife better than it is in person.

I think the only way you'd be disappointed with it is if you expect the black reflections from the ceiling to actually be on the knife. It is amazing how polished it is.

Does anyone know when this knife is scheduled to be released? A few Facebook posts stated that 300 were made and should be out soon, but I haven't seen or heard anything since. Are there any BF dealers that will be carrying it?

its already out, handled at blade this year. THis is an AMAZING piece of steel, and if you have the cash, u better find one. If i had the money, i surely would.

Does anyone know if the Shun Taiyo comes with a stand like some of the other Shun knives?

Thank goodness it's out of my price range! Otherwise I'd have to get one. That was close.

:)

:) Mine is due to arrive from KC on 7/3! Just in time to break down some animals for 4th of July grillin'!

Beautiful!

I would love to get my hands on that to get some pictures.

Very nice capture of the layering - the shot of the handle to blade area looks like some exotic river delta.

Thanks for the pictures!

best

mqqn

I have to say, KneeDeep's pictures are about as close as you can get to what it looks like when you have the knife in your hand. Thanks for posting them Glenn!

Funny story - I asked for a Shun Taiyo and a 6" Shun Fuji to put on our "Manufacturer's Quality" awards display for BLADE Show. It ended up being that the Fuji was a better size for the display, and the Taiyo just sat on my desk.

When I got home from BLADE, I started looking ove the Taiyo, and then I looked at it some more. And then one of the girls from Housewares came to take it back, and I started blubbering about how I would love to buy it if it was available, and by the way did I mention I would love to buy it? It was a pretty embarrassing display, but I am now the proud owner of that knife. Such is the power of the Taiyo. I developed a 'Gollum-like' attachment to it within a few days of it sitting on my desk.

My precious, indeed....

Back