Blade Magazine 2012 Kitchen Knife Of The Year®: Taiyo by Shun/KAI USA

I have to say, KneeDeep's pictures are about as close as you can get to what it looks like when you have the knife in your hand. Thanks for posting them Glenn!

Funny story - I asked for a Shun Taiyo and a 6" Shun Fuji to put on our "Manufacturer's Quality" awards display for BLADE Show. It ended up being that the Fuji was a better size for the display, and the Taiyo just sat on my desk.

When I got home from BLADE, I started looking ove the Taiyo, and then I looked at it some more. And then one of the girls from Housewares came to take it back, and I started blubbering about how I would love to buy it if it was available, and by the way did I mention I would love to buy it? It was a pretty embarrassing display, but I am now the proud owner of that knife. Such is the power of the Taiyo. I developed a 'Gollum-like' attachment to it within a few days of it sitting on my desk.

My precious, indeed....

I can't say I blame you...it's an amazing knife. :)

I'm infatuated with the new Hoshi from Shun with that amazing Copper/Stainless Steel blade (a protective layer prevents the copper from discoloration/patination)!

null_zps8e1ba6f5.jpg
[/IMG]

I just received the Taiyo today. I wish that the Taiyo came with a custom stand. A knife this beautiful needs to be displayed. I'll have to figure out what to do since I don't want to hide it in my normal knife block. I don't have any cutting impressions yet since I may not eat dinner at home tonight. :)

I wish I was a better photographer. It's hard for me to capture how beautiful this knife is in person. The OP's pictures are much, much better.

Unboxing...
34ovuar.jpg

Hand Crafted.
35nd4xf.jpg

Shun Taiyo
53miza.jpg

Hey Glenn, do you do pictures for an online retailer?

Those same pictures are used on an online retail site advertising the knife - don't know if they are taking advantage of your pictures or not -

Just FYI - pm me if you want to know where they are -

best

mqqn

Jim, congrats on the Taiyo and you're welcome for the pics.
It really is an amazing knife. The photos really are incredible considering I shot them in the booth on one of the side tables. I did shoot three other knives in the same time it took to shoot the Taiyo.

I certainly understand why you couldn't let it go. I'll need to get my hands on one before they are all gone.

I just received the Taiyo today. I wish that the Taiyo came with a custom stand. A knife this beautiful needs to be displayed. I'll have to figure out what to do since I don't want to hide it in my normal knife block. I don't have any cutting impressions yet since I may not eat dinner at home tonight. :)

I wish I was a better photographer. It's hard for me to capture how beautiful this knife is in person. The OP's pictures are much, much better.

Been able to put it to use yet? Any impressions? Also curious who has it in-stock - most the dealers I checked are showing it as a late-Fall delivery.

Been able to put it to use yet? Any impressions? Also curious who has it in-stock - most the dealers I checked are showing it as a late-Fall delivery.
- I haven't really had any difficult tests, but I did make fajitas tonight. The Taiyo sliced through vegetables and steak like butter. It's extremely sharp and slicing motions take little to no effort at all. My previous go to knife was a Henckels TWIN santoku blade, which I also really liked. It doesn't really compare to the Taiyo's balance and ergonomics though.

I'm not really familiar with BF's vendors, but the vendor I bought it from still has it listed as in stock. Google "Shun Taiyo sale" and it is one of the vendors that shows up.

So has anyone found a standalone stand for this like some of the 6" chef's knives come with? I just received mine and it remains in the box because: A. it has no stand; B. it doesn't even fit in my standard knife block; and C. I don't want the wife to know...

So has anyone found a standalone stand for this like some of the 6" chef's knives come with? I just received mine and it remains in the box because: A. it has no stand; B. it doesn't even fit in my standard knife block; and C. I don't want the wife to know...
- Unfortunately, I didn't find a stand for it. Since we started using the knife and didn't want to just put it in the drawer, I ended up buying a large magnetic guard from my local BBB. The large one barely fits the Taiyo. If you do find a single knife stand, I would be very interested in seeing it.

24104440786650p.jpg

I have to say, KneeDeep's pictures are about as close as you can get to what it looks like when you have the knife in your hand. Thanks for posting them Glenn!

Funny story - I asked for a Shun Taiyo and a 6" Shun Fuji to put on our "Manufacturer's Quality" awards display for BLADE Show. It ended up being that the Fuji was a better size for the display, and the Taiyo just sat on my desk.

When I got home from BLADE, I started looking ove the Taiyo, and then I looked at it some more. And then one of the girls from Housewares came to take it back, and I started blubbering about how I would love to buy it if it was available, and by the way did I mention I would love to buy it? It was a pretty embarrassing display, but I am now the proud owner of that knife. Such is the power of the Taiyo. I developed a 'Gollum-like' attachment to it within a few days of it sitting on my desk.

My precious, indeed....

Funny story :). While I do not believe in safe queens. I am considering buying that just to frame it in a nice display box and hang it on the wall. Truly a work of art. And a well received award.

Funny story :). While I do not believe in safe queens. I am considering buying that just to frame it in a nice display box and hang it on the wall. Truly a work of art. And a well received award.

Ditto. Perhaps even performing arts! :D

- Unfortunately, I didn't find a stand for it. Since we started using the knife and didn't want to just put it in the drawer, I ended up buying a large magnetic guard from my local BBB. The large one barely fits the Taiyo. If you do find a single knife stand, I would be very interested in seeing it.

I've even found stands and display cases. Email me for links.

The Shun Classic "Sumo" Santoku comes with a wooden stand. Perhaps you can call them up and see if they'll sell you just a standalone stand. Worth a shot although it may not fit since the Taiyo has an 8.5" blade and the Santoku 7.5".

dm0717w_1__760x298.jpg

Back