Tanto: Japanese Knives and Knife Fighting
by Russell Maynard

To enter do the following three things.

1. Give one knife fighting tip (run like hell
would be a good one).
2. Say what knife you carry and why.
3. Tell us why you would like to win these
books.
Contest ends Fiday May 31, 2002 at 6 p.m.
Pacific time. All entries will be put
in a jar and one lucky person will be drawn.

Tip number one: Have a knife.:)
I always have a Victorinox Ultima Champ because they are so useful and I have even had to use the pen.
Why win a knife fighting book? Try to find such literature in Australia!

1. Be self-confident, not aggressive and pay attention to your environment - maybe then you are able to prevent a life-endangering conflict.
2. My CRKT Neck PECK, ´cause it´s small, lightweight but has one sharp usefeel blade.
3. There´s a hole in my bookshelf and when it´s hard for me to fall asleep (due to Cola) I need to read.

1. Pick a victim, preferably a woman, who you know is totally unarmed and who has been ordered by the company they work for to offer no resistance.

2. Box cutter.

3. I want to see what you decadent western scum are reading.--Muhammad Xleigh

Knife tip: Always position your knife in such a way, it would facilitate an easy draw.

I carry a Darrel Ralph EDC. It's smooth to the touch. Flicks open swiftly and the fact that it is easy on the eyes helps. Even the womenfolk like it.

I am still very much a novice when it comes to knowledge about blades, so it would help if I augment my collection with the view to increase my stockpile of information on the various types of blades.

The three books mentioned would come in useful in my little knife journey.

Wlf... dude... I dunno if you were trying to be funny, or just morbid, or something else, but I cracked up when I read that... my cat was sitting there looking at me like I was posessed, heh heh heh.
(Oh well, what do ya expect from a goth, eh? ;))

Anyway...
1. Odds are, someone out there knows more than you, and is luckier than you. Continual training, expansion of mind, and physical skills, is the only possible way to prepare for such a happening... but make that training well rounded, and do not get stuck into one way of thinking and acting/reacting, because this brings us right back to the beggining, and could be deadly.

2. Emerson Commander, satin, part serrated, black scales, 2nd generation.

3. To continue me along the path of my never ending quest for learning any and all tactical knowledge I can get my hands on, so that I can maketh better informed posts and outside the forum comments, so that I may share my knowledge with others, and also so that I mayeth keep myself safe, if ever attacked by a dastardly wrong-doer. :)

I was hoping for a poetry part to the contest :(, so I could come in and whip up on y'all with my wise and worldly gothic street punk style of word smithing.;) (riiiiiighhhtttt :rolleyes: :p)

1) Don't get into knife fights.
2) Mini Commander, AFCK w/ Kasper modifications, LaGriffe, Spydie Lum & Wegner
3) I like knife books & I really don't have any. OK, I have a couple- I'm just trying to drum up sympathy.

1. Don't underestimate the value of footwork in your training;

2. A pair of Spyderco Matriarchs (great defensive tool if you understand its potential);

3. Because knowledge is power (far from original, I know, but still true).

1. Be one with yourself and whatever blade you happen to have available at the time of conflict. The knife is merely an extension of the warrior's Spirit and trained / developed Skill. See the Knife as a master painter sees his brush...as a means to project his Will for a defined purpose.

2. A sharp one.

3. My original Black Book is dogged to death and should be honorably retired :)

Sierra912

1. Take a new, shiny but cheap knife and throw it in some arbitrary direction. Run in the opposite direction.

2. Spyderco Native. It's small, quick and has a spear-like point.

3. I like to read... ;)

Be the first to stab deeply
Spydeco Endura, good size cuts anything I want it to.
Winning these books in a contest would be easier than explaining to my wife why I had to buy more books on self defense and knives;) .

1- Be 1st & be gone
2- Crawford-Kasper CRKT small
3- Constant pursuit of knowledge

1. No one wins in a knife fight, but if there is no choice, armor up

2.Spyderco Native, Spydercard, CS Mini-pal, and small Zippo pocket knife. When in the car, Spyderco Gunting close at hand.

3. I collect, and I need those to fill in my collection

Al Nyman

COOL!

1) You know how powerful and nasty and devastating a knife can be. Now assume that the guy who cuts you off on the street or bumps into you in the bar has a knife on him. It ain't worth tangling with a blade! When it comes to knives, you have hit your LAST strategy. Don't giv eup an opportunity to run and stay healthy for a cnance yo be mouthy to a "punk" only to have the punk pull out a knife too.

2) SAK for lots of chores, AFCK for larger cutting chores and comfort.

3) I only have a story about Echanis in a book on hand, I am going to make a Crayola version of a Tanto this year and I'm hungry for info on tantos, and my M. Janich knife fighting book, my only dedicated knife fighting book, is on loan too a good friend indeffinitely!

Thanks for this generous opportunity.

#1)Don't do it,it's not fun,running is healthier.
#2)A timberline Wortac,and a Keating Chinook.
#3)Because I don't have these books,and only need to get the Black Book to make my Echanis collection complete.
Thanks,Terry

1. The pointy end goes here.

2. Super Commander. Bigger is better

3. I have a pretty good library going on edge weapons and knife history. These books would be a great addition not only to my collection but to the knowledge they contain.

Brian

Can I say more than 1 knife fighting tip?
1 - Don't get into a knife fight. Its usualy an assination where one party suprises the other.
2 - Thrusts to the throat are usualy good fight stoppers.
3 - be where your opponents blade is not.
4 - If you are the defender, you win by surviving.
5 - stay mobile so you can run away if you get the opportunity.
6 - use your environment to your advantage, if you can get a chair in your enemy's way, you can use the reactionary gap to retreat or draw a superior weapon.
7 - Attack above and below the opponents joints on the interior and exterior of his limbs. Thats were tendons and blood vessels are.

What do I carry?
frame lock commander with carbon fiber inlay and black plain edge true double ground blade done by Reese Weiland.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183993

mine has a different blade.

I carry that cause nothing beats the wave, nothing beats a frame lock by reese weiland and the 2 combined are outstanding.
The commander blade deserves this kind of handle.

why should i win?

well, I am in exile in Mass. I suffer daily going to school their and I will be trapped their for at least another year. My CCW is not valid in Mass, so I have no firearms on hand, hell in Mass we aren't even allowed peper spray!
I go to school with Left wing liberal idiots whose only good quality is to make me cherish the people I meet from bladeforums even more than I already do.

1. Be able to cut and stab in any grip, stance,position, and with either hand.

2. Spyderco Chinook. Good overall length, heavy enough to be a fistload, ambidexterous opening and lock, enough mass for a good grip, and an affordable price.

3. I've read and/or reviewed McKay's and Maynard's books. I'd like to review the Black Book and work through the mysticism/hype associated with it by analyzing it. Better yet, if I win, I'll give the trio of books to the second runner up after I read the Black book.

1- Not really a knife fighting tip, but one that is good and applies to knife fighting. Don't pick a knife that you are not totally comfortable with just because it is called "the best" whatever by so and so. Pick one that is high quality and that you are comfortable with. It is common sense and goes for many things in life, but it fits well in choosing a fighting knife

2. My carry changes. Lately my pocket carry has been a SOCFK BTS, tanto. I like it for its secure grip and opening speed as well as the tanto blade. This knife also goes IWB often.

My EDC folder has been my SERE 2K in a canted G2 sheath worn SOB or right rear hip. This knife is solid, smooth, and comfortable. The blade shape is so useful for so much from chopping to fine slicing. The handle is superbly comfortable and secure and the action is butter smooth.

3. I would like to win these books because now that it is summer I have free time. Since I spend the school year learning a lot of useless stuff, I might as well spend my summer learning a lot of useful stuff.

Thanks for the contest. Hopefully the books go to a home where they get a lot of use.

Back