Brand of fixed blade to compliment emersons

so if emerson is your go to for folders what brand of fixed blade would you say compliments emersons? i'm thinking something made in the US with a no nonsense, function over form style. maybe with military ties. becker, esee, bark river, busse???

I own only three non-Emerson knives, two of which are fixed blades. They are a Busse TGLB and a Survive! GSO 4.1. I think they compliment the Emersons well especially in a hiking/camping scenario.

Great question, I've often wondered this myself. I don't know much about fixed blades so I'm curious.
As far as emerson fixed blades, I had a PUK for a short time but didn't have much opportunity to use it. It was a cool knife but I sacrificed it to find another purchase. I would buy one again if the price was right

That's a pretty broad question being that there are so many types of knife styles from Emerson Knives that every user will have a different opinion as to what's what. Intended use would dictate which to get. Is there size preferences? Type of carry? Being more specific would get a better answer IMO. My most recent fixed blade purchase is a Dennis Cook Fighter which I falls inline with my desires of a fixed blade of a 5-6" blade. Hollow ground but almost 1/4" if not that in thickness. Harpoon swedge kind of like the Spartan Harsey Model-II but a handle more like a Mach-1/CQC-11 mix. Of course the "Blade Catcher" features that make me think of the Wave. My friends thought it was a Emerson due to the blade catch features and they do open beer bottles.

My cqc 13 with company...

1etcfc.jpg

The pen is there in case deep thoughts come to me around the campfire... I'm still a professor, after all...

My most recent fixed blade purchase is a Dennis Cook Fighter which I falls inline with my desires of a fixed blade of a 5-6" blade. Hollow ground but almost 1/4" if not that in thickness. Harpoon swedge kind of like the Spartan Harsey Model-II but a handle more like a Mach-1/CQC-11 mix. Of course the "Blade Catcher" features that make me think of the Wave. My friends thought it was a Emerson due to the blade catch features and they do open beer bottles.

WOW, beautiful knife.

~John

I don't have any pictures, but my Bark River STS-5, Terzuola CQB-1, and Strider MT Spearpoint suit my Emerson folders well.

I'm about to order a PUK to test out...

Hollow ground but almost 1/4" if not that in thickness.

Great features, my Strider MT is the same and it cuts very well while maintaining strength.

I'm not sure why people are generally so against hollow grinds.

PUKs are cool knives. I had one in black with serrations in a molle sheath. Gave it to a friend so he can have a camp knife. I want to get another one in stonewash with a kydex sheath but the Emerson folders have been filling that void quite well.

I really like the Cook Fighter. Hollow ground blades can be quite fierce cutting tools but I guess it all depend on the individuals level of comfort/trust. Also how the knife is made too. Paranoid of blade breakage? Get one that's from thicker stock. That's my approach. Hardness is similar to Emerson's offerings. Here's a couple more pictures of the Cook.

The Pro Tech Brend combat master would make a good pairing.

gusbuster, that knife looks really close to an Emerson Rhino. I think it would compliment it well.

SSDS.jpg

Thanks Rolf, It's my edc, and a one off in 3v. A little larger than his regular Operator, and Ban made it a double edge upon request.

Last edited:
Silvanus, that Rhino looks wicked! I'd like to get one of those. I got a Persian and a Super CQC 7 waiting for me when I get back home. :thumbup:;)

Semper Fi,
Gus

I gotta say, if you love Emerson's ergos, try a Dozier fixed blade first.

While I don't own any Emersons, no-nonsense and made in USA just screams ESEE to me.
No fancy stuff - 1095, black coating, micarta handles and blades that just work. Damn good knives
I'd suggest getting the Laser Strike. Cheesy name aside, its a great allround blade and the larger handle puts it ahead of the 4 IMHO.

Back