Broke my tinker scale!!!

And it was hollow!:eek:

I was taking off my jeans for bed last night, and my tinker dropped out of the pocket onto the master bathroom floor. Fell from a hight of no more than three feet. Bounced once and slid under the vanity. When I picked it up, there was a top section of scale gone from where it impacted the floor. The missing piece was under the vanity. THREE FOOT DROP!:eek:

The recent SAK's with the hollowed out scales have lost my respect. I've never been a fan of cellidor, but now I plan to go alox all the way. My Wenger SI and Vic cadet will have to carry the SAK load form for now on. This is just too cheap for me, and I love SAK's!

The world has never been the same since Smith and Wesson stopped pinning the barrels and Volkswagon dropped the old bug for the abomination called the rabbit.

Next thing ya know they'll be making guns with plastic parts! :grumpy:

I've broken a few scales over the last few decades. You can get new ones one eBay etc. and even change the colour.

I think I remember the trigger group chassis in my Mossburg 500 being plastic 30+ years ago.

I've had a Remington Nylon 66 for over 45 years. Plastic ain't so bad. If the floor had been carpeted, I'd say you had a right to bitch, but I've seen bone scales that didn't fare so well in similar circumstances. For what a Tinker costs, toss it and get a new one. Or you can send it to me and I'll use it for parts.

I was taking off my jeans for bed last night, and my tinker dropped out of the pocket onto the master bathroom floor. Fell from a hight of no more than three feet. Bounced once and slid under the vanity. When I picked it up, there was a top section of scale gone from where it impacted the floor. The missing piece was under the vanity. THREE FOOT DROP!:eek:

The recent SAK's with the hollowed out scales have lost my respect. I've never been a fan of cellidor, but now I plan to go alox all the way. My Wenger SI and Vic cadet will have to carry the SAK load form for now on. This is just too cheap for me, and I love SAK's!

The world has never been the same since Smith and Wesson stopped pinning the barrels and Volkswagon dropped the old bug for the abomination called the rabbit.

Next thing ya know they'll be making guns with plastic parts! :grumpy:

Sorry this happened to ya Jack but going all alox isn't half bad. A similar thing happened to me lately except the knife had bone covers. It fell only 6-8 inches onto cement taking a 1/4" square chip out of it. I haven't carried a bone covered knife since. I'm sticking to wood, metal or plastic and have no complaints. The main reason I wrote was to tell you I did get a kick on your "condition of our world" commentary especially the last line. :eek::D:)

Cellidor has been hollow for a long while. Easily fixed in place with Goop. Still think alox is the way to go, personally.

Sorry this happened to ya Jack but going all alox isn't half bad. A similar thing happened to me lately except the knife had bone covers. It fell only 6-8 inches onto cement taking a 1/4" square chip out of it. I haven't carried a bone covered knife since. I'm sticking to wood, metal or plastic and have no complaints. The main reason I wrote was to tell you I did get a kick on your "condition of our world" commentary especially the last line. :eek::D:)

yeah, I wa being a little factious on that subject! :D

But them, I haven't dropped my Glock on the bathroom floor either!

Sorry this happened to you, Carl! [emoji53] I bought a used Recruit online last summer, and it arrived with a loose scale. All I did was glue it back on, and it works great now! If your scale didn't shatter to pieces upon impact, maybe try glueing it!

Alex

I always lay down on the bathroom floor before removing my pants, just to prevent this kind of accident. Put your thinking hats on, people!

I've had a cellidor scale fall off, a little superglue corrected that. I still stick with cellidor and probably will until Vic can get a toothpick, tweezers, pin and pen into Alox.

You do know ofcourse, that victorinox covers that breakage under their lifetime warranty. Here in Toronto they charge $5 as handling charges. Knife comes back with new scales, blades, backsprings or whatever is broken. On my 1983 Champion, which I had sent in for a chipped scale, they replaced the scales and the scissors and even put in a new toothpick. That is A class warranty service folks.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

You do know ofcourse, that victorinox covers that breakage under their lifetime warranty. Here in Toronto they charge $5 as handling charges. Knife comes back with new scales, blades, backsprings or whatever is broken. On my 1983 Champion, which I had sent in for a chipped scale, they replaced the scales and the scissors and even put in a new toothpick. That is A class warranty service folks.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know that. But it's not worth my while to send it in with a check for 5 bucks for return shipment. It's already been epoxied up and functional. But I've always disliked cellidor, and was shocked to see how thin they have made the scales between the structure. I mean really thin. This has made me question Victorinox and how cheap they've made cuts to the SAK that affect strength. They should have switched to nylon, or delrin, or zytel, of anything years ago when better material were available.

I see a lot of carry in the future for my Wenger SI and pioneer.

I carry Sak without scales and it still serves the purpose.Super light ,and useful.Have few Victorinox alox versions on order but still plan to use the one I have.

They do have nylon available for the 84 & 91mm models, but they are hard to find. All my daily carry SAKs have been switched to nylon. Nylon is standard on 111 mm models and why they haven't made them standard on all models is a wonder to me. Looks I would guess. Never have had any issues as to the quality of the Victorinox knives themselves. Quality and F&F is superb.

Doesn't anyone care about the toothpick and tweezers ?
I do and am going to stick to cellador for this exact reason, I've also never had any issue with them breaking. I've got some just about 20yr old scales of of my grandpa's vic classic on a different classic in my pocket right now and they're not even close to breaking.

Doesn't anyone care about the toothpick and tweezers ?
I do and am going to stick to cellador for this exact reason, I've also never had any issue with them breaking. I've got some just about 20yr old scales of of my grandpa's vic classic on a different classic in my pocket right now and they're not even close to breaking.

Here here! I'll give up my cellidor (and tweezers and toothpick) when they pry 'em from my cold, dead hands. Speaking of cold hands, cellidor scales are a LOT more comfortable to handle in freezing weather.

Here here! I'll give up my cellidor (and tweezers and toothpick) when they pry 'em from my cold, dead hands. Speaking of cold hands, cellidor scales are a LOT more comfortable to handle in freezing weather.
Cellador as a handle material is something I could take or leave, but the toothpick and tweezers are mandatory.
I always compliment any regular pocket knife with a vic classic so I suppose I could do the same with an alox vic, but a vic sak and these 2 little utensils just belong together so I'm not sure id want to carry any full sized sak that doesn't have them. I wish my pocket pal had the toothpick and tweezers, but it's just a 2 blade pen knife and not a sak so I don't mind.
They Do look extremely nice though, so I may try one out some day just to see why they seem to be so trendy. ( seems like with traditionals it's gec's left and right and with saks it's alox left and right )

The sole knife I carried for over a decade overseas was an old version of the Spartan, sans toothpick and tweezers. That one had been dropped a few times on cement, and only had a faint line of a crack in the scale, which never actually threatened to break apart. Was it actually cellidor or some other plastic? I don't know. It wasn't nylon.

I've said before that I would prefer Vic to switch the cellidor scales to a red version of Case's smooth yellow Delrin. It could have a similar smooth texture but be a lot more durable, as long as they didn't thin/hollow it out too much. Zytel would be great too, and, IMO, better than nylon for a less smooth texture.

I always carry my Executive, so I can take or leave the toothpick and tweezers in a standard-sized SAK. What I have come to appreciate is the corkscrew. There are many instances where I need to loosen a difficult knot, and it's come in handy. Plus, I use it to store my eyeglass screwdriver. If there could be an Alox model like the Pioneer but with only the corkscrew in the back, that would be awesome. Unfortunately, that would mean it couldn't be an even-ended model. The presence of a back tool means that end of the knife would have to be wider, like the cellidor models.

Jim

They do have nylon available for the 84 & 91mm models, but they are hard to find. All my daily carry SAKs have been switched to nylon. Nylon is standard on 111 mm models and why they haven't made them standard on all models is a wonder to me. Looks I would guess. Never have had any issues as to the quality of the Victorinox knives themselves. Quality and F&F is superb.

Good guess. Cellidor is a legacy plastic, looks good but is not resistant to several common chemicals, like deet, found in insect repellent, which causes crazing. Nylon would be much better for a variety of reasons, but the SAK became iconic with the original scales, so Vic keeps on keeping on. Can't blame them for that. Where the irony comes in is that they sell basically the same SAKs for less with the superior nylon scales. For example, the Sportsman II, or Eco, in some markets, is the nylon scaled version, sold as a bargain alternative to the prettier original. I have one that I bought some years ago at a closeout sale for $7. The Swiss cross shows wear, somewhat, but no big deal. Look for others in that line, save some $, and have a superior version.

Good guess. Cellidor is a legacy plastic, looks good but is not resistant to several common chemicals, like deet, found in insect repellent, which causes crazing. Nylon would be much better for a variety of reasons, but the SAK became iconic with the original scales, so Vic keeps on keeping on. Can't blame them for that. Where the irony comes in is that they sell basically the same SAKs for less with the superior nylon scales. For example, the Sportsman II, or Eco, in some markets, is the nylon scaled version, sold as a bargain alternative to the prettier original. I have one that I bought some years ago at a closeout sale for $7. The Swiss cross shows wear, somewhat, but no big deal. Look for others in that line, save some $, and have a superior version.

Doesn't Victorinox call nylon their economy scales ? Either way I have a vic Gardner in the nylon scales and I love them.

Sorry you experienced this misfortune to your Tinker, Carl. :(
But why are you so surprised by the damage resulting from a 3-foot fall? If I were dropped from a height of 3 feet and landed on my head, I suspect I'd suffer significant loss of function in addition to some cosmetic damage! :eek:

I always lay down on the bathroom floor before removing my pants, just to prevent this kind of accident. Put your thinking hats on, people!
THIS is why I come to BF!! :thumbup::thumbup: So simple, so obvious, yet so insightful!! I'd have never thought of this solution on my own! :D:thumbup::D One of my grandfathers always referred to a person's head as their "noodle", and now the "powernoodle" username makes so much sense! :p

- GT

Back