Broke my tinker scale!!!

Although I've never actually broken a cellidor handle scale, I've long suspected the hollow scales are thin, by tapping the scales with my fingernails, at least the front/cross-side scale feels that way.

Lately, I've been using my Pioneer X a lot around the house.

Jim

Nylon handles on large locking models,and on some economy models are very good,have used my large locking sak for long time and handles look almost same as first day,no dammage or scratches at all.Very durable!

Just another thought....I empty my pockets before I take my pants off. Just sayin..

Just another thought....I empty my pockets before I take my pants off. Just sayin..

I have to admit that I've never quite understood that. I've always just set my pants on top of a chest ready to go in case of whatever in the night. Car keys, flashlight, wallet, whatever. If something happens at 3am I want to just grab pants and go. No last minute load up needed. shoes right next to bed.

Dropping a SAK on the bathroom floor is the least of my worries. Dropped a smartphone out of my shirt pocket into the toilet. Believe it or not, after a little drying, it still worked. But it was an upgrade notice for me anyway as I have been putting this off for over a year. Got new phone. So, get yourself another Tinker. In my case, that would mean just opening up my one cabinet and grabbing one in the box.

Dropped my classic a bunch of times... nothing but scratches so far, but I guess the Classic is lighter than a Tinker.

The Force is strong with you, Carl, but you're not a Jedi yet. You don't know the dark side. Join me, and forever will alox dominate your destiny.

It is the only way...

Darth Vanadium, fan of dark blue, black and olive green alox SAKs (Pioneer, Farmer and Cadet).

Can't beat the look of a well worn alox scale, almost silver, but with hints of blue on my old Farmer...

Oh yeah, with screwed up hands from diabetes/pinched nerves/neuropathy, I've been dropping tons of knives this winter, on concrete floors. Been lucky so far, but Murphy is an Irish sonuvagun...

Already into alox. Have been toting an old Wenger SI for the better part of two decades, with a cadet into the mix now and then. Here's my SI out in the Texas brush country on a typical sunny day.

Last edited:
yeah, I wa being a little factious on that subject! :D

But them, I haven't dropped my Glock on the bathroom floor either!

Glad you got the scale glued back on and have it back in service. I like the look of the classic red scales, but admittedly they have their weak point in such a drop. Alox? I really have grown to like it!

PS: I've EDC'd that exact G26 exclusively for nearing 4 years now - I love it.

Good guess. Cellidor is a legacy plastic, looks good but is not resistant to several common chemicals, like deet, found in insect repellent, which causes crazing. Nylon would be much better for a variety of reasons, but the SAK became iconic with the original scales, so Vic keeps on keeping on. Can't blame them for that. Where the irony comes in is that they sell basically the same SAKs for less with the superior nylon scales. For example, the Sportsman II, or Eco, in some markets, is the nylon scaled version, sold as a bargain alternative to the prettier original. I have one that I bought some years ago at a closeout sale for $7. The Swiss cross shows wear, somewhat, but no big deal. Look for others in that line, save some $, and have a superior version.

This is what I find so maddening. Victoriox already has a better handle material that they do use on some models. They have to know that cellidor has problems, both with Deet and some gun cleaning solvents and industrial solutions. They have a solution right there in front of them, but still keep making those cellidor scales that I think of as junk. It was a little disturbing when they thinned out the blades, and had to add a dimple on the liner to take up the slack, but thin blades cut well so okay. But when my tinker scale broke off, and a whole section came away, and I saw how paper thin the hollowed out scale was, that was it. I'll never buy another plastic handle SAK. Alox only from now on.

With nylon, zytel, delrin available and in use with other manufactures, there's no reason for Vic to keep using an inferior handle material.

I'm with you, Jack. I've owned a Swiss champ for thirty years and several other red cellidor handled models from the seventies and eighties and never had a problem. But the newer ones I have can't stand a small drop without cracking. I had a brand new Spartan chip last week. It fell maybe two and a half feet and the end, by the toothpick, cracked off. I glued it back. But I'm going back to my old Alox Farmer or Soldier.

I don't think anyone offers knives with more handle options than Victorinox. I have models in Alox, solid stainless, stainless cap, Gold plated stainless, 14kt. Gold, Sterling Silver, Mother of Pearl, horn, and plastic. There are also custom Titanium models. Wood handles are also around. For various reasons, I prefer Uncle Bill's sliver grippers (pocket tweezers) and the T-Pik Stringless Dental Flosser (SS shaped pocket pick).

I think the cellidor is fine for the smaller models, like the Classic-sized OT Executive-sized SAKs. Even though I'd like to see red Delrin on those, too.

A bit OT, but I wish that Victorinox would make an Alox Pioneer with a single back-opening tool; a corkscrew. I use the corkscrew for untying overly-tight knots a LOT. Plus I use it to store my mini-eyeglass screwdriver. Unfortunately, I doubt it'll ever happen. It would also make it so whatever version Piineer it is would not be an equal-end design.

Jim

Cellidor scale pops off? Buy new one and pop it in. :D

The cellidor scale didn't just pop off. It broke. Like in a large piece of it skidding off under the vanity. From falling out of pants pocket between knee and hip high. The old solid cellidor would never do that. See post 31. That's why I'm done with Victorinox cellidor. If they want to make eggshell thin scales, I won't be buying any.

The cellidor scale didn't just pop off. It broke. Like in a large piece of it skidding off under the vanity. From falling out of pants pocket between knee and hip high. The old solid cellidor would never do that. See post 31. That's why I'm done with Victorinox cellidor. If they want to make eggshell thin scales, I won't be buying any.

And I said BUY new one. They are replaceable by anyone with littlebit of vice action.

The reason why I like - and actually come to prefer - cellidor scales is that it can be easily sent for repair to victorinox repair service. I sent my swisschamp to service (nothing drastic, just some minor fixed) and it never had to leave my country. For alox, they have to be sent to Switzerland.
Now that being said, if you want to sport simple knife with more robust tools (no scissors or wearing parts) then alox is very good and solid option.

Man, I lost my Cadet and my medicine bundle. Keeping my peanut close to my heart in my chest pocket.

I can hear my pop saying "I don't give a tinker's damn".

Never knew what the hell that meant. Maybe when you drop your tinker and the handles crack and you holler "Damn".

The alox withdrawal is real. At least I have my black alox pioneer, blue alox farmer and olive alox farmer.

Woodrow F Call, sell me your olive pioneer!

Lately, and partly due to this thread, I've been carrying and using my standard Pioneer over my Spartan. Today I tried undoing an overly-tight knot using the tip of the can opener and the can opener's rounded "hook" part (the part that grabs the can). Not as efficient as the corkscrew at that task, but then I've only done it once so far. May be harder or easier than I think.

I still carry my black Executive, too. I don't mind the cellidor on that, as it's a smaller knife. Plus, it compliments the Pioneer very well.

Jim

I have to agree again with you Carl, and repeat what has been said by most here. Today my Swisschamp fell from 4 ft height onto the pavement, and the scales broke and split irreversibly.

20170501_133805_zpsq7pih2mn.jpg

and it's the fourth SAK that suffers this in my lifetime. That's enough times for me to consider an alternative material if it were available!

20170501_133812_zpsstededcs.jpg

it really wasn't that strong of an impact, but they cracked and as soon as I put the SAK in my pocket twice they fell off, now there's a big chunk missing.

20170501_133852_zpstgeon1ng.jpg

It's a no brainer that Vic hasn't addressed this yet, it's more than a century that they're the king in business and they sure receive hundreds if not thousands of critics on this very subject each year

Back