Buck is now using cancer causing materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into town today to get my nephew a pocket knife for his birthday,i bought a buck offshore 3 blade folder with wood handles and buck nameplate.I gave it to him and as i'm telling him about the warranty ,he asks me what this red message meant.It was inside on the back cover and was a disclaimer that read"this product contains a material that is known to cause cancer" WTF!I don't know about anyone else,but its going back tomorrow and i'll be waiting to hear some answers from Buck Knives on this matter.I am guessingnthe buck nameplate imbedded in the scale is made out of lead,or is it the bolsters or what?I'd love some clarification,NOT WHAT I'D EXPECT IN A BUCK PRODUCT!I can't give a knife to anyone knowing that disclaimer is on there.

If you were as stringent with everything in your household I'd wager you'd have a good bit more living space. The disclosure is due to recent laws in CA, I believe.

I sincerely doubt it's cause for alarm.

I'd bet it's a California Prop 65 warning.

Yeah, you'd have to get rid of your computer, pretty much all cleaning products, eating utensils, and sell your car if you followed the same line of logic for everything.

gbuskirk, it might be a recent thing for Ca to require the warning on knives, but I've been seeing those labels for years on other products.

I really, really hope the initial post was just sarcasm. If not, then..I don't know what to think truthfully.

Neither of the two models I bought yesterday had that warning. How about posting a picture?

....I am guessingnthe buck nameplate imbedded in the scale is made out of lead,

...or is it the bolsters or what?

Leads hazards are associated with acute or chronic poisoning.

It's particularly dangerous to young children.

Cancer is not the prime concern.

As others have stated, most things are known to cause cancer in California.

Especially the politicians.

Big Mike

I got a new Buck of some kind or other recently and noticed that same sticker on the box. It surprised me, but I never gave it a second thought. I guess I'm too used to seeing that same sign just about everywhere I go. One is on the entry door to an auto parts store I went to a couple of days ago and posted in the lobby of my auto mechanics shop, they are all over.

Here it is. This is the side of the box that contains my Boone & Crockett 121 dated 4/10/2012.

Man, it has me so scared I'm afraid to handle it! ;)

cancerwarning.jpg

Even play sand (like the kind for sandboxes) carry the carcinogen warning label in california. That state is retarded. It's probably why Buck moved to Idaho.

Not to sound too sarcastic but carcinogens are everywhere including the air we breathe. It would not surprise me in the least if the wise politicians in CA issued a warning to breathe only on clear days. End of sarcasm.

It's amazing I'm still alive after all the things I've eaten,breathed, touched, and played with in my lifetime. :D:D:D
I'll not give the stupid label on the knife box a second thought.

Last edited:
gbuskirk beat me to the list. Virtually everything in your house would now qualify for Prop 65 notice requirement. It's pretty ridiculous now, the original intent of the listing (which was questionable at best) has been diluted so much by the extensive list that it is essentially meaningless for the average person. Yet every business has to keep up with that list, and post signs that warn people if anything on the list is found on the premises.

And if you knew how they arrive at the "known to the state of Kommiefornia to cause cancer" you would just scoff at it. Many cancer studies involve feeding rats huge quantities of a chemical to see if they develop tumors. The studies do not take the time to determine carcinogenicity caused by long term low level exposure. For example, some artificial sweeteners are on the list, but to consume the same dose that raised cancer probability in the test rats would require you to drink many, many cases of artificially sweetened drinks every day.

My guess is that the adhesive for the scales used a solvent that is on the list. Of course, the solvent is long gone once the adhesive is cured, but that doesn't matter to the politicians in this state.

Or, for the fixed blades, it could be the phenol used for the phenolic resin handles. Again, very little left after the polymerization, but why let facts get in the way of scaring people for political gain?

If they were to strictly enforce the Prop 65 law, all of the municipal drinking water in this valley would have to be listed because of the radionuclides that are naturally present (mostly Sierra-derived uranium).

Last edited:
maybe its like asbestos and only causes cancer if ingested after being powderized? a lot of pretty harmless materials are very dangerous when in the powdered form. just look at the msds for almost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back