Buck is now using cancer causing materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one point, he makes the bold assertion that "our cookies contain no arsenic! -- says so right here on the label." He then goes on to inquire, "if other cookies don't have arsenic, why don't they come out and say so?"

Well, if I ever actually DO have to kill a bear or something with my 120.........I want the arsenic-tipped blade.

Hm... interessting. I got a Buck 301 last year and the 110 about five or four years ago. There was no stamp on it. Maybe on oversea-sales those stamps are removed... I just looked at the box where the knives were shipped with. No stamp. Just seems to be a typical US-thing....

Greetz from Bavaria

Kind regards

Hm... interessting. I got a Buck 301 last year and the 110 about five or four years ago. There was no stamp on it. Maybe on oversea-sales those stamps are removed... I just looked at the box where the knives were shipped with. No stamp. Just seems to be a typical US-thing....

Greetz from Bavaria

Kind regards

I'm thinking that putting the labels on the knives started very recently. I bought a BUNCH of new Buck's last year and none have the label. It wasn't until this years models that I saw any of them.

If you look at that Prop 65 list, it lists chromium. Since Buck uses that in their blades, they had to list it. That's my guess.

Here it is. This is the side of the box that contains my Boone & Crockett 121 dated 4/10/2012.

Man, it has me so scared I'm afraid to handle it! ;)

cancerwarning.jpg

Generally stuff like this is due to the oil or whatever they used to lubricate the pivot.

If you look at that Prop 65 list, it lists chromium. Since Buck uses that in their blades, they had to list it. That's my guess.

Generally stuff like this is due to the oil or whatever they used to lubricate the pivot.

You wouldn't have to guess or speculate had you read the thread instead of just the first page. Page 3 post #52 Joe Houser from Buck states exactly the reason.

It would be interesting to know what material got it flagged by a State?

I guess it was the adhesive on the labels........(I would have guessed the lubricant). I was oiling a slipjoint today with cancer juice (gun oil). Had it all over my hands for a while.

The last few fishing reels I have purchases said this too.

I would not be the least bit concerned, as long as you don't eat the product and packaging, you should be fine.

Last edited:
You wouldn't have to guess or speculate had you read the thread instead of just the first page. Page 3 post #52 Joe Houser from Buck states exactly the reason.

Well, not exactly. Joe gives some examples of things on the list that are/might be in Buck knives. He does not state that those things are the only reason for the sticker.

Well, not exactly. Joe gives some examples of things on the list that are/might be in Buck knives. He does not state that those things are the only reason for the sticker.

One of those alone is enough to cause reason for the sticker.

One of those alone is enough to cause reason for the sticker.

Sure. One item from "the list" earns the sticker, no doubt.

Just pointing out that there probably are several other items in/on the Buck that were not on the example list Joe posted that would also earn the sticker. That is what some are speculating about. And they are most likely right.

None of which will stop me from buying my next Buck, of course.

If Buck is using a material recognized by the appropriate authorities as a carcinogen, they have to notify their employees exposed to it, have material safety data sheets, etc, etc.

I would think you could request the same info from them.

It could be formaldehyde in the paperstone. The thing about formaldehyde is that it burns your eyes and is very noxious if in an exposure level to cause acute effects and the amount of formaldehyde released from the paperstone in normal use and exposure to the knife would not even register against the background levels in the CA environment. It is a matter of Buck complying with the "right to know" laws in CA. If the OP is still concerned, he can send it to me and I will properly dispose of it for him.

I don't know about the state of California, but Federal OSHA requires listing carcinogens in a product if the carcinogen is present at a level of 0.1% or greater.

On the other hand it could be ground, recycled paper that is the issue because of its form during the manufacturing process of the paperstone material as a dust.

Ed J

Last edited:
I'm surprised thats the first "Causes cancer in Cali" sticker you've seen...Its been on all kinds of automotive products for years...I wouldn't worry about it to much.CD

I would not worry about it for two reasons. Manufacturers will state eveything under the sun to protect them from lawsuits whether its a risk or not, everything under the sun. Plus they may be referring to the red dye the FDA banned years ago as potential for cancer. This red may be of the same famliy but not necessarily cancer causing, its a "Just In Case". The fear or worry should be nonexistent, because Buck would not put something on their product if it causes cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back