Buck Slim Pro

J Hubbard Moderator Moderator Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2001
We have had some start up issues on the pro versions in the form of blade play in both directions. We have been working on it and I think we have gotten it corrected. Although the construction is the same style between the plastic and pro versions, they are a different animal when trying to process them through the shop.

The 110 and 112 that I just received had the same date 10-29-2018 and they are really tight, so Buck must be getting them done better.

My 112 Slim Pro has spent the last few days on my pocket while on vacation. Like my other Slims, the lock up is still solid and the action is smoothing with use. Still no play in either direction. I stand by my recommendation of these knives and I might have to get a 110 Slim for some reason that I don't understand yet.

Greetings Buck-folk!

I recently purchased and received a Buck 112 Slim Pro (brown) as well as a Select in black, and added to that a Rival I (little guy).

I bought the rival after not being able to find a new BuckLite Max 484 (nice that little scalpel) and am very impressed with this inexpensive USA-made cutter. The mid-lock is excellent, although the heel of the blade can catch your finger when you disengage if not careful. Other than that, I like everything about it and prefer it to a number of mini-knife imports i have tried recently, including the Kabar mini Dozier knife and the Ontario Wraith (although I prefer the thin grind on the Wraith). I like that Buck kept the pocketclip on the Rival I, its absence is the main reason I was not interested in the Bantam BBW, and the unobtrusiveness of the clip is also a plus. I alos like the shape overall and the FEEL of these scales is an unexpected joy! The scales on the Bantams and BuckLite Maxes are much smoother and slippery whereas these new scales have grit to them. The tang is beautifully polished for a smooth action, and the spring-action is perfect. This will now be my go-to 'gift knife' and I will get a larger version as well (hated the pocket-clip on the Bantams, wouldn't pay money for them).

The 112 Slim Select is a similarly excellent knife, very impressive for the cost and USA-made. :thumbsup: The faux-inlay pattern in the scales and that gritty texture makes the scales feel 'warm' to the touch and pleasant to behold and are not rough on the pocket. The edges of the handle are comfortably rounded, and the spring action is again just perfect. The blade, which came perfectly centered, is easy enough to deploy using the thumbstuds, and that classic blade-ship is a major selling point for me - I FAR prefer this to the BuckLite Max 482, perhaps in part because of the absent rear-guard/flare on the 482. The 112 Slim select is excellent.

Somehow, the 112 Slim Pro doesn't match the Select. The blade is beautifully polished, it is S30V, and I like the micarta scales (was actually the main reason I even made this purchase, i wanted a micarta-scaled folder and found out about this offering through an internet search, simply added the other knives to my cart to increase the total for free shipping :p). But the micarta is too smooth and flat, it doesn't have the appeal of thicker, shaped micarta that reveals the layers... perhaps the look would be neater with a burlap or other medium. But because it is slick, it is hard to hold and deploy one-handed, or even hold while closing - I have to press my fingers into the clip that covers nearly the entire rear of the knife on one side, and that is quite uncomfortable. Add to this that the spring on my 112 Slim Pro is MUCH stronger than on my Select and makes the thumb-studs altogether useless. I notice that there is a recent thread in this subforum about removing them - it came too late for me as I had already tried searching around and using heat+screwing to get them off before finally finding a post about just pulling them apart with force. I then tried adding a Kwik-bar but no position on the blade provided adequate leverage against the strength of the spring coupled to the slick thinness of the handle to allow me to easily deploy :( So I will leave the blade bare of such accoutrements and use it like a sodbuster (I bought this knife in preference to a micarta-scaled slip-joint sodbuster). In addition to the overly-strong spring and rather slick scales, there is a sharp point in the micarta at the end of the back-lock making the knife uncomfortable to hold and use in various grips. This was most accentuated when i still had the studs in place and was trying to open it open-handed as this corner would stab directly into the muscles beneath my 'pinky' finger - another easy fix but an obvious problem had anyone handled and attempted to one-hand-open the knife before it ever left the factory :( And finally, the blade was noticeably off-center.
I still like the knife, and it is wonderfully sharp, but for me the Select version feels like it was better made (despite the clear extra amount of attention given to the blade on the Pro version, and also the tang-stop on back-spring interface).

On the pocket-clip, I am commonly troubled by how little the 'lip' of the clip rises to allow for attachment to a pocket - I evidently wear pants with thicker pocket-seams than those designing these clips! I always need to bend them up/out slightly - that is certainly the case here. I don't mind that the clip is enormously wide since it is at least quite short (I despise long pocket-clips), but the 'corners' at the bend are inadequately rounded, something easily fixed with just a bit of sanding but could have been done at the factory.

So that's my little review of 3 newer Buck knives: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for the 112 Slim Select, :thumbsup::thumbsup: for the Rival, but :thumbsup::thumbsdown: for the 112 Slim Pro - I love the style, like the lightweight, glad they used micarta, beautiful blade, but the off-center blade and useless thumbstuds (spring related) and boring/slick scales with sharp points :oops: I am also looking into adding a different pocketclip to that model, something that isn't an issue on the Select since it handles so much better. *shrug* Who doesn't like a 'project' knife :)

Greetings Buck-folk!

I recently purchased and received a Buck 112 Slim Pro (brown) as well as a Select in black, and added to that a Rival I (little guy).

I bought the rival after not being able to find a new BuckLite Max 484 (nice that little scalpel) and am very impressed with this inexpensive USA-made cutter. The mid-lock is excellent, although the heel of the blade can catch your finger when you disengage if not careful. Other than that, I like everything about it and prefer it to a number of mini-knife imports i have tried recently, including the Kabar mini Dozier knife and the Ontario Wraith (although I prefer the thin grind on the Wraith). I like that Buck kept the pocketclip on the Rival I, its absence is the main reason I was not interested in the Bantam BBW, and the unobtrusiveness of the clip is also a plus. I alos like the shape overall and the FEEL of these scales is an unexpected joy! The scales on the Bantams and BuckLite Maxes are much smoother and slippery whereas these new scales have grit to them. The tang is beautifully polished for a smooth action, and the spring-action is perfect. This will now be my go-to 'gift knife' and I will get a larger version as well (hated the pocket-clip on the Bantams, wouldn't pay money for them).

The 112 Slim Select is a similarly excellent knife, very impressive for the cost and USA-made. :thumbsup: The faux-inlay pattern in the scales and that gritty texture makes the scales feel 'warm' to the touch and pleasant to behold and are not rough on the pocket. The edges of the handle are comfortably rounded, and the spring action is again just perfect. The blade, which came perfectly centered, is easy enough to deploy using the thumbstuds, and that classic blade-ship is a major selling point for me - I FAR prefer this to the BuckLite Max 482, perhaps in part because of the absent rear-guard/flare on the 482. The 112 Slim select is excellent.

Somehow, the 112 Slim Pro doesn't match the Select. The blade is beautifully polished, it is S30V, and I like the micarta scales (was actually the main reason I even made this purchase, i wanted a micarta-scaled folder and found out about this offering through an internet search, simply added the other knives to my cart to increase the total for free shipping :p). But the micarta is too smooth and flat, it doesn't have the appeal of thicker, shaped micarta that reveals the layers... perhaps the look would be neater with a burlap or other medium. But because it is slick, it is hard to hold and deploy one-handed, or even hold while closing - I have to press my fingers into the clip that covers nearly the entire rear of the knife on one side, and that is quite uncomfortable. Add to this that the spring on my 112 Slim Pro is MUCH stronger than on my Select and makes the thumb-studs altogether useless. I notice that there is a recent thread in this subforum about removing them - it came too late for me as I had already tried searching around and using heat+screwing to get them off before finally finding a post about just pulling them apart with force. I then tried adding a Kwik-bar but no position on the blade provided adequate leverage against the strength of the spring coupled to the slick thinness of the handle to allow me to easily deploy :( So I will leave the blade bare of such accoutrements and use it like a sodbuster (I bought this knife in preference to a micarta-scaled slip-joint sodbuster). In addition to the overly-strong spring and rather slick scales, there is a sharp point in the micarta at the end of the back-lock making the knife uncomfortable to hold and use in various grips. This was most accentuated when i still had the studs in place and was trying to open it open-handed as this corner would stab directly into the muscles beneath my 'pinky' finger - another easy fix but an obvious problem had anyone handled and attempted to one-hand-open the knife before it ever left the factory :( And finally, the blade was noticeably off-center.
I still like the knife, and it is wonderfully sharp, but for me the Select version feels like it was better made (despite the clear extra amount of attention given to the blade on the Pro version, and also the tang-stop on back-spring interface).

On the pocket-clip, I am commonly troubled by how little the 'lip' of the clip rises to allow for attachment to a pocket - I evidently wear pants with thicker pocket-seams than those designing these clips! I always need to bend them up/out slightly - that is certainly the case here. I don't mind that the clip is enormously wide since it is at least quite short (I despise long pocket-clips), but the 'corners' at the bend are inadequately rounded, something easily fixed with just a bit of sanding but could have been done at the factory.

So that's my little review of 3 newer Buck knives: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for the 112 Slim Select, :thumbsup::thumbsup: for the Rival, but :thumbsup::thumbsdown: for the 112 Slim Pro - I love the style, like the lightweight, glad they used micarta, beautiful blade, but the off-center blade and useless thumbstuds (spring related) and boring/slick scales with sharp points :oops: I am also looking into adding a different pocketclip to that model, something that isn't an issue on the Select since it handles so much better. *shrug* Who doesn't like a 'project' knife :)
The 112 in G10 might be up your alley

I’ve been a lurker all around for a while and decided to post about this knife. I picked up the 112 black G-10 Slim Pro from the factory today. It was a “factory blemish” model but I thoroughly love it. There is no play in the blade in any direction and it is stamped 2018 but according to the lady when I bought it they just brought this batch out. So if there were issues with play I think they’ve been corrected. It’s 100% my new EDC.

I’ve been a lurker all around for a while and decided to post about this knife. I picked up the 112 black G-10 Slim Pro from the factory today. It was a “factory blemish” model but I thoroughly love it. There is no play in the blade in any direction and it is stamped 2018 but according to the lady when I bought it they just brought this batch out. So if there were issues with play I think they’ve been corrected. It’s 100% my new EDC.
Good to hear!:thumbsup:

Been carrying my stud-less 112 slim pro (brown) in preference to the black 112 slim 'select' as I really like have the micarta scales and the blade is just more pleasing owing to the obvious effort put into polishing it up. In bluejeans, the pocket-clip isn't too bad - the finish doesn't stand out too much from the fabric, and the cut-outs do make it easy to draw. I ESPECIALLY like how short it is. :thumbsup:
One gripe about the clip is that the screws stand sufficiently proud to chafe the threads inside the pocket and damage integrity, something that doesn't happen with my other fold-over clips as they actually fasten on the 'pommel' of the handle rather than the side (e.g. Buck Vantage, Microtech UTX-85), not sure if this is a problem with other fold-over clips like the spyderco and benchmade and custom options...
Still planning on EDCing this knife as much as possible because of how much I like the scales and classy look (as well as utility) of the blade, how slim it is (can easily back-pocket the knife) and how light. I still wish the centering were better or that it was easier to one-hand open/close, but nevertheless a great knife. :thumbsup:

If only they made a slim auto... or something like the Protech 'whiskers' with this design :eek:

Been carrying my stud-less 112 slim pro (brown) in preference to the black 112 slim 'select' as I really like have the micarta scales and the blade is just more pleasing owing to the obvious effort put into polishing it up. In bluejeans, the pocket-clip isn't too bad - the finish doesn't stand out too much from the fabric, and the cut-outs do make it easy to draw. I ESPECIALLY like how short it is. :thumbsup:
One gripe about the clip is that the screws stand sufficiently proud to chafe the threads inside the pocket and damage integrity, something that doesn't happen with my other fold-over clips as they actually fasten on the 'pommel' of the handle rather than the side (e.g. Buck Vantage, Microtech UTX-85), not sure if this is a problem with other fold-over clips like the spyderco and benchmade and custom options...
Still planning on EDCing this knife as much as possible because of how much I like the scales and classy look (as well as utility) of the blade, how slim it is (can easily back-pocket the knife) and how light. I still wish the centering were better or that it was easier to one-hand open/close, but nevertheless a great knife. :thumbsup:

If only they made a slim auto... or something like the Protech 'whiskers' with this design :eek:
Maybe that happens with the screws under the clip sitting next to your jeans vs the screw on top of the clip where they don't contact the fabric at all. Deep carry clips loop up and over the top. I'll have to look at some of my other folders.

Just picked this up at a local knife shop, and I absolutely love it. Blade is centered, no wiggle rock solid, and it is tight to open but I would rather have that than blade play. I did not like the clip so I replaced it with an extra Casey Lynch DC clip I had, it slides into the pocket now. I will be using this for my outdoor, hiking knife this summer.
ZJG8Saq.jpg
worjtul.jpg
JDDFQL2.jpg

Just picked this up at a local knife shop, and I absolutely love it. Blade is centered, no wiggle rock solid, and it is tight to open but I would rather have that than blade play. I did not like the clip so I replaced it with an extra Casey Lynch DC clip I had, it slides into the pocket now. I will be using this for my outdoor, hiking knife this summer.
ZJG8Saq.jpg
worjtul.jpg
JDDFQL2.jpg

Hi, I know this is an old post, do you have any idea which model Lynch clip you used that will fit this knife? I've been holding off getting one because the clip the Buck comes with is so awful. I even complained about it in a post on here once before the knife was officially released. They'd probably sell many more if they rethought the clip... Thanks!

Reactions: AF
I’ve bought both the slim pro and select in both 110&112 and I like the clips better than any other clip I’ve used and I like the anvil on it. The only thing I did was I ground a divot on the micarta handle next to the Thumb stud to ease access to open the blade. Now it’s perfect.

Hi, I know this is an old post, do you have any idea which model Lynch clip you used that will fit this knife? I've been holding off getting one because the clip the Buck comes with is so awful. I even complained about it in a post on here once before the knife was officially released. They'd probably sell many more if they rethought the clip... Thanks!
You can use any of the spyderco-clips with their 3-hole pattern, but that is a black-cerakote long clip: https://www.lynchnw.com/clips/lynchnw-spyderco-long-deep-carry-clip

I use the Anvil-clip - I like how short it is, the width at the top is actually handy in some of my pockets - but I DID modify the clip slightly by ramping the edge and counter-sinking the holes to allow flat-head screws that don't get in the way of your pocket hem:
8yAAaBX.jpg
ekFtIEn.jpg
asKoIN3.jpg
uS7wOYd.jpg

Back