Buck Slim Pro

Agreed, I think people grab the blade with one hand then grab the body with the other and push back and forth to test for play. Side to side.

Enough lateral play to allow the blade to be deployed and nothing additional.

Enough vertical play to allow the back lock to function correctly and lock up tightly. Extra slop allowing the lock to move is excessive.

I would disagree with your opinion regarding blade play.

To me, it does not matter what use I have for a folder, blade play is an issue. A knife that is well constructed will not have significant blade movement, either lateral or vertical.
I agree, but slight lateral play (or perhaps lateral flex would be a better description) may inherent in a knife without a liner. When I say slight, I mean really slight. I haven’t noticed any appreciable play in the two I have.

Last edited:
I agree, but slight lateral play (or perhaps lateral flex would be a better description) may inherent in a knife without a liner. When I say slight, I mean really slight. I haven’t noticed any appreciable play in the two I have.
I agree. Maybe that's the play described, actually flex.

I have a G10 and micarta 112 Slim Pro and they both have no play in either direction. Also, they came very sharp! These knives are great buys and thanks Buck as this is what I have wanted for years.
RKH

I had to look that up. lol

chuffed
/CHəft/
adjective
informal•British
adjective: chuffed
  1. very pleased.
    "I'm dead chuffed to have won"

Thanks for looking it up and posting, Mike, you saved me the trouble. Preston

Hello everyone. I have read threads on these forums for years but never as a member. I have used members opinions and have made purchases based on things I have learned from this site. So after reading this thread, and seeing that it is fresh I'd like to share a story. I'll make it short and sweet.

Firstly I love the idea of the slim 110 and now that I've discovered they exist I'll buy a couple but I don't see them replacing the 110LT in my pocket. I work around hundreds of cars, aome costing $100k and I just can't take the risk of the metal pocket clip scratching units I'm responsible for protecting. And I love the original width...

Ive used countless knives, growing up a hillbilly I learnt to use a knife the day I sliced a sliver off the knuckle of my left index finger with my mommas 7" old hickory kitchen knife slicing log bologna. I got scared and ran and hid in the closet and got three whippings, 1 for using the knife, one for bleeding all over everything and one for hiding lol I was about 4 years old according to mom. That day she taught me to use a knife and I received a camilius camping knife with the punch instead of the pen blade. It was confiscated in kindergarten while I was cutting my steak at lunch lol true stories and unrelated but any true knife enthusiast should appreciate my tale of what started my passion with knives. I owe y'all that much fir all the knowledge ive gained from you all on several occasions...

Anyways, now to my point of entering this thread....

Knives without liners.
In about 1995 I bought myself a cold steel voyage at a gun show in Nashville,tn. Zytel, no liners. I truly beat the crap outta that knife and all my cousins ragged me about my "cheap plastic knife" and how "you got ripped off buying that cheap crap" etc etc...over the next few years that knife cleaned, skinned, butchered numbers of every legally obtainable critter in my home state of Kentucky. Built shelters, split wood for fires, pryed, worked and honestly was abused to the point I was tired of it lol time for another knife, it still worked like new too...

Well one day all the family was meeting to eat and such and I said "y'all remember my cheap plastic knife?" (Only by this point they no longer spoke ill of my voyager)...I took it and stabbed it into a root at the base of a tree and walked 15 paces and turned and shot it with my ruger mkii using a cci stinger and the knife flipped off out across the field. Upon retrieving it, I inspected it and all that happened was a little grey circle appeared upon the black handle. My good friend ended up with that knife for free and he later gave it to his dad, over 20 years later that same old non-liner knife is still working, shot and all...

Have a good and blessed one..thanks again. :)

So you shot a plastic handled knife and it only left a Mark? Micarta is different than plastic. The liners on these are barely an 1/8 inch thick. I did do a torture test on a Buck Marksman. Even put it under the tire of my f250 and ground it into the concrete.

I suppose it shows non liner knives are tough. Cool test.

I don't know how Micarta would take a bullet but it may be more brittle due to materials.

Last edited:
Morso discoloration than a mark. It didn't even blunt out the texture on the grip. My old voyager was about as thin as the 110 slim appears to be. I remember I could pinch it hard and it would act like it wanted to give a bit. Compared to the 110LT it was flimsier and near half the thickness , but it was a taller knife than today's voyagers, it was slim but it still fully filled the hand.

My intent is not to recommend running around plinking knives lol but rather that a non liner knife is stronger than an analytical mind may grasp.

I prefer the 110 over the voyager, especially now, I like I can tighten my original 110s with the woods, leather and the hammer side of my handaxe. No tools I'm not already carrying is needed..I prefer the 110 LT for edc though and haven't used it hard enough to loosen it any at all to see if they will tighten back up the same as my older ones..?

I still stand by my remarks while admitting many mistake flex for play. Buck set the bar high originally when it came to blade play. Quality makers like Spyderco and Cold Steel make knives with zero blade play that have no liners.

I haven’t checked out the new slims as they are not available here yet. I have seen a few recent models from Buck with blade play though.

I bought this large Bucklite Max for about 25 dollars and it has no liners and locks up super tight. I was surprised at how strong it feels. Pinned and weighs about 3 oz.

33tkm6v.jpg

Morso discoloration than a mark. It didn't even blunt out the texture on the grip. My old voyager was about as thin as the 110 slim appears to be. I remember I could pinch it hard and it would act like it wanted to give a bit. Compared to the 110LT it was flimsier and near half the thickness , but it was a taller knife than today's voyagers, it was slim but it still fully filled the hand.

My intent is not to recommend running around plinking knives lol but rather that a non liner knife is stronger than an analytical mind may grasp.

I prefer the 110 over the voyager, especially now, I like I can tighten my original 110s with the woods, leather and the hammer side of my handaxe. No tools I'm not already carrying is needed..I prefer the 110 LT for edc though and haven't used it hard enough to loosen it any at all to see if they will tighten back up the same as my older ones..?

Welcome to the Buck forum. If you haven't got "Buck Fever" yet, hang around....

Thanks! I've definitely got 110 fever lol Buck has always been one of my favored makers, I whittled with and carried a buck stockman all through my middle and high school years. I had a 110 way back I had acquired in well used condition but my go woods knives before the mid90s was a 1dot Case hunter and a full tang no name tanto that only said "Japan".. My daughter and son both use Bucks as their primary edc. I stick mostly with the Made in USA stuff though.
I really like my custom shop s30v 110 but buck420hc is my single favorite stainless steel ever created after Excalibur lol
Imho when price is a 1/3 of the decision, Buck is the BEST!

Got my order today...2 112's in OD and brown micarta and a 110 in OD micarta. Quick first impressions are very favorable. They all came extremely sharp right out of the box with very solid lockup. There is the slightest hint of flex from side to side, but it's not a manufacturing oversight, defect or QC miss. It is very slight right at the pivot, and I attribute it to there not being any liners or anything around the pivot to provide extra stiffness. It will by no means effect the performance of any of the knives, as long as used appropriately(as a knife, not a pry bar).
When they say slim, they mean slim! I have medium sized hands, and I find that it fits very comfortably in any grip I use. Along with the slimness comes the light weight. You hardly notice that the knife is in your hand. It sits very unobtrusively in your pocket until needed. I was initially not a fan of the appearance of the clip, but now that I've had a chance to handle it in person, I have changed my mind. It is a low rider style clip and lets the knife almost disappear in your pocket.
The purpose of a knife is to cut things, and the only thing that I've cut so far is paper. The blade slid effortlessly through the paper, and I imagine that it will work very well for EDC tasks.

Overall, I'm very impressed with these knives and can't wait to use one as my EDC. Between one of these and the upcoming traditional forum knife, my cutting needs should be pretty well covered.

If you are on the fence about picking one of these slim pros up, I highly recommend that you do so. You won't be disappointed.

John

I got my 110 Micarta and 112 Black Select today.

The 112 Select, is dead solid, just like my blue and red 110 Slims.

The green micarta 110 slim, has just the slightest side to side movement, but not enough to matter. If I hadn't been looking for it, due to others commenting on it, I doubt I would have ever noticed it.

Back