Building the PSK knife

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
As requested here are some pics building a PSK knife showing the steps up to heat treat.
First is the barstock cut and marked for shaping.

psk1.jpg

Next, on the 2x48 grinder for profiling the blade and pommel end.

psk2.jpg

Next to the 2x72 grinder to shape the finger cutout.

psk3.jpg

This is the profiled blade ready for grinding.

psk4.jpg

When I grind the blade, I flat grind part way.

psk5.jpg

Then I switch to the rotary platen to convex the rest of the grind.

psk6.jpg

This is the knife after grinding.

psk7.jpg

Next I stamp my mark and steel type, then drill the holes in the tang.

psk8.jpg

These are 18 PSK knives ready for heat treat and temper. Also shown are 2 Nessmuks and a Kephart HTed ready to finish.

psk9.jpg

Scott

Good stuff Scott, keep it coming. What's the history of the PSK?

Scott, Thats awesome! Its not often that you get to see the process used to make your knife... Thanks!

What a fantastic insight into your livelihood and your shop. Thanks for posting those pictures!

Good stuff Scott, keep it coming. What's the history of the PSK?

The history of the PSK was about 2 years ago. With my interest in wilderness survival and spending time in the timber, I wanted to come up with an affordable custom knife for a person's kit. Personal survival kits are a top priority when venturing into the timber. An important part of the psk is a cutting tool. I talked with Ron Hood when I was developing the idea and he gave me some pointers. With the design, the cord wrap gives you cordage if needed. The knife is small enough in size to fit in your kit, but stout enough to handle the jobs at hand while out and about. Things like making fuzz sticks, carving, woodcraft and even batoning can easily be done with this knife. One other thing I neglect to mention is that small survival items can be stored under the cord wrap if the wrap is done to be removeable. My cord wrap is more permanent and would be hard to redo in the field. In a survival situation rewrapping in not going to be an issue. It can be redone anytime after you are back in a neutral enviroment out of harms way.
This knife is also a affordable way for someone to try one of my knives without breaking the bank.:)
Scott

very cool scott....:thumbup: love the pics man...:D i aspire to have my beard like yours...:eek: one of these days...:)

looks like that grouping of blades includes the new PSK Sr's?????

I know a certain someone who belongs to one of those beauties...

care to guess who?

Brett

I bet it's one of the two end ones on the far right that are drilled for scales????

YEAH!

Super!

Looking forward to that baby. I had a grand time today with the PSK. a great knife and super useful.

Brett

Lovin this thread Scott! Really neato.

Question. What kind of furnace is that??? Details, links would be much appreciated. I'm tired of using charcoal!

Back