Building the PSK knife

Andy, it's a Johnson Gas company atmospheric heat treating furnace. http://www.johnsongas.com
New they run about 4 grand. I got this one used 2 years ago. It runs off propane. I plan on getting an Evenheat this summer. I want a back up just in case.
Scott

I took some time off today and went to a gunshow. I'll post pics tomorrow on the final finishing of the PSK knife. Cord wrapping was already posted in another thread.
Scott

Ok just about finished with the knives spoken for.
Here they are after HT and temper.

psk11.jpg

To do the final finish, I start with a worn 50 grit zirc belt to remove most of the black and decarb. Next to a fresh 50 to smooth the 36 grit grind marks. Next an 80 grit 3M Tri-Zac to smooth the 50 grit marks. Then onto a 120 grit 3M Tri-Zac to smooth the 80 grit. Finally, I use a coarse scotchbrite for the satin finish.

psk12.jpg

psk13.jpg

Here they are cord wrapped. Some are blade only and 2 are getting scales.

psk14.jpg

Tommorow i'll make the kydex sheaths for those getting them. The completed finish and sharpening is done last after the sheaths are made.
Thanks for everyone's patience.
Scott

oh man, I am giddy like a school girl.

Can't wait til Bruce gets the scales on my SR!!!

Brett

Forgot to add, the clean up of the handle/tang is done on a worn coarse scotchbrite on the flat platen. I don't spend alot of time cleaning all the black off because most get cord wrapped.
Scott

oooh, nice! i can se mine...this is SO gonna be a sweet travel companion!

I think I can see mine in the last picture:) Thanks Scott for making this thread happen. It has been very interesting and educational.

.............Thanks for everyone's patience.
Scott

Actually, thank YOU for inviting us into your shop to watch over your shoulder. Quite generous ofyou to take the time to take photos and post them.

Thoroughly enjoying this post!

Back