Recommendation? Bushcraft knife

Look into one of the Terävä Puukkos from Varusteleka.

The knives are way way way under your stated max amount and they are EXCELLENT bang for your bucks.

Ive bought blades and other stuff from Varusteleka and they are great to deal with.

I'll say Not to overlook the Mora companion, though they aren't full tang. Super handy, super cheap and super light. I've treated a number of them very badly while working and the worst I've done is some chipped edges and broke the .25" off of one's tip. I doubt that you'd hurt one too badly camping since you'll have an axe or hatchet for the tough chores. If you're really worried about breakage, since they weigh and cost almost nothing, throw two spares in the bottom of your pack.

As far as meeting all your criteria, my first thought was also the Enzo trapper, though I don't have one myself... yet. It would seem to tick all your boxes and would come in under budget in kit form. I've been thinking about one of the full flat ground ones myself, but many of them are skandi. Everything I've read about them so far has been very good.

My opinion.... worth the bandwidth you read it on. You already have 90% of your cutting sorted, so what you are buying is either the handle egronomics, or a sacrificial edge. If the second is the case, then just buy a box of moras and beat them to death. If you just want a nice knife that is a joy to use, look in those areas. There are a lot of cheap-ish carbon steel bushcrafters on the market, but if none of them blow your hair back, then don't settle for a 40$ whatever when what you really want is something that you enjoy. You might have to divorce yourself from that pricetag a bit, and might need to look at a semi or full custom, but they can be had for a little over your budget.

Now I'm going to go rock the boat a bit and suggest that if you are mostly doing food prep and simple carving, what you really want is an FFG blade rather than a scandi, in which case I'd suggest getting a cheap mora and seeing how it goes for your style of food prep, and see if in fact that is what you want, and if not, look into one of the many FFG blades on the market, and maybe look that the upper end steels if strength is your concern.

The real steel bushcraft is a very decent knife for $53 bucks in d2 with a kydex sheath. A lot of knife for the money. The Mora Garberg as most people here say is also a very good knife but, most like the leather sheath over their crappy molle setup. I also like the Mora robust companion other are great bushcraft knives, i have the carbon steel versions and they are cheap and work. I have done lots and lots of batoning with both and have had zero issues. They are light weight and really you don't need much more in a knife. The enzo's people seem to like although I dont have any experience with them.

I've decided that carrying a hatchet for heavier wood processing and a smaller knife for carving and meal prep is a better solution.

Now I'm going to go rock the boat a bit and suggest that if you are mostly doing food prep and simple carving, what you really want is an FFG blade rather than a scandi, in which case I'd suggest getting a cheap mora and seeing how it goes for your style of food prep, and see if in fact that is what you want, and if not, look into one of the many FFG blades on the market, and maybe look that the upper end steels if strength is your concern.

Agreed; food prep with a scandi is not ideal, even if it's 1/8". FFG is better for that task, or even a saber grind. Scandi is meant more for wood processing than anything else.

I didn't want to like the garberg, but it really has taken over as my main outdoors fixed blade. It's heavy and given the choice, I'd probably not have the exposed tang (it's scratched a few rifles and now sports a homemade innertube cover), but the blade itself is just robust enough to feel like it can do anything, but also still within 'normal' mora size range. The handle is spartan but comfortable, and the plastic sheath, like those of the mora2000 before it, is really one of most underestimated sheaths out there. It's perfectly ambidextrous, slim, can slip into a pocket, etc. It makes a great tube through which to blow on a fire as well...

Check out Lamnia.com

Lamnia is a good place to find Scandinavian knives. Be careful, though, the cheaper ones have a pronounced secondary bevel. I have many puukkos and they all work well. Be sure to know the difference between a puukko and a leuku.

My advice would be to save up and look at the TOPS BOB or an LT Wright GNS Scandi. I prefer the GNS.

I do not reccomend the Mora Garberg. (check my thread for reasons why) I reccomend an Enzo Trapper Kit. Just do the sanding whcih is easy. Great carver also.

Another Mora fan here. I have been using a 511 for years as my wood carving knife and have also batoned it mercilessly. Their carbon steel is so easy to sharpen and gets wicked sharp. Good edge retention too. There's a reason why they're the standard by which other knives in this category get measured. Everyone should experience one, regardless of what pricier knife you move on to.

Grohmann #1
R1S_02.jpg

Schrade SCHF36 Frontier Knife

Whether you are going to camp anywhere or are interested in exploring the wilderness, you are required to use a durable, sharp, secure, and convenient knife. If you are looking for such a knife then Schrade SCHF36 Frontier is highly recommended. It has a 1095 powder coated HC steel blade. It has a blade length of 5 inches. This knife is widely used in hunting, tactical, self-defense, and military works. It is also the best choice for bushcraft.

Product Details:

• Brand Name: Schrade
    • Item Weight: 1.7 Pounds
    • Material: Blend
    • Handle Material: Thermoplastic
    • Blade: 1095 Powder Coated High Carbon Blade
    • Department: Unisex-adult
    • Warranty: No
Schrade SCHF36 Frontier Knife Features:

• This knife is equipped with a 1095 high carbon blade which is too sharp and is used for hunting, fishing, tactical, military, and cutting works.
    • You don’t worry about corrosion as this blade is powder-coated.
    • It has a thermoplastic handle offering an easy grip. Beautiful ring textures on this handle make this knife more attractive.
    • A sharpening stone allows you to sharp this knife before going outside.
    • A lanyard hole allows you to pass a lanyard through it. You can hang it anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
buck vanguard. Not sure if it comes in different steels. Still good choice but missed your preference for a scandi edge. That Enzo/ Brisa looked cool.

Last edited:
I too would suggest Mora, especially Mora Bushcraft survival or plain Mora robust. Though I too have the Mora Garberg, I find myself keep coming back to my Mora Bushcraft for camping/carving use, it's basically has similar geometry except being lighter and with better balance.

If you have seen this destructive video for Mora Robust, it really does make one think twice about the need for full tang Garberg, when the Robust is that indestructable.

Hi guys,

I'm not new to camping or outdoors, but I've always just used whatever knife I had laying around (cheap folding knives, multi tools, dull axes, kitchen knives). Finally wanting a real knife, I purchased a SOG Seal Team last year. Unfortunately, I found that it was too big for finer carving tasks, not as good as an axe for wood processing, and the serrated portion close to the handle is useless. I've decided that carrying a hatchet for heavier wood processing and a smaller knife for carving and meal prep is a better solution.

So, I'm looking for a proper bushcraft knife. I've researched for a few weeks, but finally felt I needed help. So I came here.

Here are my requirements:

- Full tang
- Scandi grind, no secondary bevel
- 4-4.5" blade
- $100 or less is preferred
- Available for pickup or delivery in Canada

Any suggestions? I have a few in mind but none seem to meet all of the requirements above.

Thanks in advance.

Boss
From me another vote for Mora. I have three: A rehandled 911 Quicksnap (discontinued, dog chewed up handle, replaced it with my own), a 510, and a Robust Pro. All carbon, all tough as nails, all easily resharpened, rust never a problem. With the rest of the money you can get a ready made kydex or leather sheath to complete the package.

Zieg

everyone made great points about mora...

honestly, I use a standard mora companion in stainless for camping food prep, and it really does well for wood carving
if you feel you need something more heavy duty, there is the mora companion heavy duty ; ) with a full 1/8" blade stock (vs 1/10" in standard companions)

I would have no concern if it ended up being my 'survival' blade (that's why most people have 2 stashed in their bug out bags)

Hi guys,

I'm not new to camping or outdoors, but I've always just used whatever knife I had laying around (cheap folding knives, multi tools, dull axes, kitchen knives). Finally wanting a real knife, I purchased a SOG Seal Team last year. Unfortunately, I found that it was too big for finer carving tasks, not as good as an axe for wood processing, and the serrated portion close to the handle is useless. I've decided that carrying a hatchet for heavier wood processing and a smaller knife for carving and meal prep is a better solution.

So, I'm looking for a proper bushcraft knife. I've researched for a few weeks, but finally felt I needed help. So I came here.

Here are my requirements:

- Full tang
- Scandi grind, no secondary bevel
- 4-4.5" blade
- $100 or less is preferred
- Available for pickup or delivery in Canada

Any suggestions? I have a few in mind but none seem to meet all of the requirements above.

Thanks in advance.

Boss

A hundred or under............. A couple of Moras and a Husqvarna hatchet. Your local Husqvarna dealer can bring the hatchet in for you, it's usually around $55.00 or so in Canada. Maybe a hair less with free shipping from the big river. The Hooskies are one of the great deals in the hatchet world. I am currently waiting for a shipment of Hultafor Mini hatchets, but it's $120.00 plus, and not within this budget.

Back