• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Carbide Straightening hammers

Joshua Fisher

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello Everyone, I’ve gotten some requests recently from friends for carbide hammers like what I use to straighten my blades so I’ve decided to make a few small batches. These start off as a small 7oz hammer that I modify and then pressure fit and glue a 3/8” carbide ball into. The 3/8” carbide leaves a smooth shallow divot and the hammer works by striking the inside of a warp, so basically you set your blade warp up so it spins like a helicopter on a flat metal surface and strike the inside of the warp along the blade which stretches the material on a very small level and straightens the blade back out. I’ll be treating this post as a pre order, each hammer will be $80 which includes shipping in the US. I can accept payments through PayPal or square for cards. I’m not going to be taking payments upfront as it may be 1-2 weeks to get the supplies but feel free to claim your hammer in the comments so I know how many to make and once they are ready I’ll share links for payment. I’ve straightened a couple thousand blades with this method and have never broke a blade and it works no matter what steel or hardness, just make sure you temper the blade once or twice then you can use this to get any warps out.
7A21C1BD-F6F8-4D03-861B-5C4843EDB074.jpegCF870319-2E9E-46F3-A853-4D57EB963031.jpeg

Got the carbide ordered for this round of hammers, I’ll have enough for 16 total, 6 of which are claimed. So plenty left for people to jump in. I’ll update the thread once the materials arrive and I start on the hammers. Thank you everyone that’s jumped in so far.

All the supplies are set to arrive tomorrow and my plan is to get these all finished up this weekend so I’m going to post links below for PayPal or square. Just make sure to send me your address when you send the payment. Thank you for all the interest and I’m excited to get these out to everyone that wants one.

I'll take one if any are left. Can I pay by check - you don't ship until the check clears. Or, I can send cash if you prefer.
Tim

Back