"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

The first movie with a reference to Dunkirk I recall was Mrs Miniver. The time period (1942) was quite a bit worse for the home front than depicted in the film.

In that dark time, just surviving was in itself a victory. Next month will mark the 73rd anniversary of my uncle's death in France, on the way back in to Paris. Almost made it to the end.

The only knife I have that comes close would be my mix match Victorinox classic.
The last tool my grandfather used which was in his pocket when he died was his yellow Victorinox classic.
Now his knife is well worn out, but I did have an almost unused pink one he bought my grandmother so I swapped out the scales.
Now I've got a knife that belonged to my grandmother which has scales on it that were well worn by my grandfather's hands and pocket.

It may not have as heartwarming of a story attached to it that your knife does, but this knife sure means a great deal to me.

We do make an exception for Carl's stories, but aside from that, stories go in the Lounge thread.

The last tool my grandfather used which was in his pocket when he died was his yellow Victorinox classic.
Ironically, today I have been cleaning my wife's grandfather's Schrade 33 OT that he was carrying when he passed last month. Had it since before 1973, if I read the tang stamp correctly.

Ironically, today I have been cleaning my wife's grandfather's Schrade 33 OT that he was carrying when he passed last month. Had it since before 1973, if I read the tang stamp correctly.
I love and recently started to carry my 33OT middleman jack . My dad got it for Christmas around '84 while he was in the army but never carried it, when he gave it to me I did the same because I noticed it's decent blade play ( guess it snuck through inspection )
I decided to give it a chance recently because it appealed to me as a pattern and am happy to report I don't even notice during use, and wish I had given it a chance sooner

Because the sun hardly ever shines in Yorkshire, especially not when it's raining? ;)

I should try and do a Yorkshire version! :D

Examples:

Do you say 'Coat', 'Cooat', or 'Coyt'?

Do you say 'Scone', 'Scon', or 'Scooan'?

Do you say, 'Boot, Booat, or 'Boyt'?

Do you say 'Bread cake', 'Stotty', 'Cob', 'Roll', 'Balm' 'Bread Bun, 'Other' ?

Do you say 'Jennel', 'Ginnel', 'Alley', 'Passage', 'Entry', 'Snicket, or 'Snickleway'?

Do you say 'Henderson's', 'Enderson's', 'Relish', or 'Tha wot?' ?

;) :thumbsup:

I should try and do a Yorkshire version! :D
That would be pretty interesting! I hear tell that the Yorkshireman can tell which side of town someone's house is in, based on the sound of accent and word choice. Similar to the way a native New Yorker can hear the difference between Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, the Bronx (well we could before gentrification anyway).

Great stuff Barrett, I enjoyed that! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Jack, there may be more to this then it seems. It's said that the Appalachian dialects still have a strong affinity with the Scottish and Irish immigrants who populated the regions flagged in your map.

My map shows a clear emphasis on the upper Midwest, no surprise, but also picked up my two years in Salt Lake City, Utah quite strongly.

Jack, there may be more to this then it seems. It's said that the Appalachian dialects still have a strong affinity with the Scottish and Irish immigrants who populated the regions flagged in your map.

My map shows a clear emphasis on the upper Midwest, no surprise, but also picked up my two years in Salt Lake City, Utah quite strongly.

If you go deep enough into the Western North Carolina mountains, you'll still hear plenty of dialect that will confuse a flatlander. My family was living in North Carolina before 1700.

That would be pretty interesting! I hear tell that the Yorkshireman can tell which side of town someone's house is in, based on the sound of accent and word choice. Similar to the way a native New Yorker can hear the difference between Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, the Bronx (well we could before gentrification anyway).

Yeah, that's true Bart (though accents are flattening out here too), there are 3 or 4 different accents in Sheffield, maybe more, and in the rural parts of South Yorkshire, at one time, they'd fight you for being from the village half a mile up the road! :D

If you go deep enough into the Western North Carolina mountains, you'll still hear plenty of dialect that will confuse a flatlander. My family was living in North Carolina before 1700.

That's very interesting fellers, I was surprised how many words and phrases in the quiz I was familiar with - if not the sun/rain thing! :D :thumbsup: One of my favourite things about US English is the correct pronunciation of the word 'scone' (to rhyme with 'bone')! I'm surprised there's never been a civil war about it here! :D :thumbsup:

Jack, is "scon" the common UK pronunciation?

I think it's about 50/50 Jerry. Round my way, 'scon' is considered to be the posh way of saying it, but elsewhere, Scotland for example, it's the other way round :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's true Bart (though accents are flattening out here too), there are 3 or 4 different accents in Sheffield, maybe more, and in the rural parts of South Yorkshire, at one time, they'd fight you for being from the village half a mile up the road!
I had asked my friend Steve to give me some pointers, and discovered that it was nigh impossible to explain some of the variations to an outsider, often based on very old metaphors.

I had asked my friend Steve to give me some pointers, and discovered that it was nigh impossible to explain some of the variations to an outsider, often based on very old metaphors.

I'm still half expecting someone to come along and tell me that Sheffielders in fact say 'scon' rather than 'scone', based on them hearing it from a man, who heard it from a man, who supposedly heard it from a Sheffield man! ;) :D

I'm still half expecting someone to come along and tell me that Sheffielders in fact say 'scon' rather than 'scone', based on them hearing it from a man, who heard it from a man, who supposedly heard it from a Sheffield man! ;) :D
This debate between these positions has raged in the States in some circles since Starbucks started selling knockoffs!

Back