Carvings

What kind of wood is this, Thurin?

I pulled it out of my twig pile, so it could have been from something else, but I'm pretty sure this is from my Maple Preston.

I really like this thread. My Grandfather use to carve Cars out of wood for us to play with when I was young when we would see him. They were no Hot wheels but still played with them just the same and still have them.

Thurin, that wood spirit is great, been trying to do the same for a month and just looks like a stick.

Schmittie that Terassaur kept me up a couple of nights, should have jumped on it. Awesome kuksa for such a big scandi.

C_Stahl those are awesome spoons! If I could make those my Wife would be thrilled we need like 4 more.

Uncle_P that is a awesome bucket. Old 3finger Karda, an EDK, but what is the third knife you are carving with?

Redbird, that's awesome about your grandfather carving cars for you to play with. I love hearing stories like that. Too cool that you still have them!

Thanks Thurin,
They are neat. He also made me a plane and a boat. I will have to remember to take pics of them a put them on sometime. Nothing like the detail ability of you guys here but it's neat to see.

Uncle P
That awesome Looking scales on that WAS. Always liked the look of Allen's Wood handles. Looks like a great carver with that pommel and point! How does the Hollow ground of the Stingray compare to the Convex of the Karda on carving? There is an Georgia Traveler out there that looks like a great little knife, how do you think something like that would do?

So, I used my little Scandi EDKarda on the spoon I was making my daughter. Before I was using my Bushraptor . . . WOW! What a difference. The scandi peeled the wood away so much easier and I found it was easier to be more precise. I lack the hook knife, so that part is still pretty rough, but all in all a fun little project. Nathan, how much better is your Pinewood Forge Hook Knife then the Mora that is available on Amazon??

I'll post pics later!

So, I used my little Scandi EDKarda on the spoon I was making my daughter. Before I was using my Bushraptor . . . WOW! What a difference. The scandi peeled the wood away so much easier and I found it was easier to be more precise. I lack the hook knife, so that part is still pretty rough, but all in all a fun little project. Nathan, how much better is your Pinewood Forge Hook Knife then the Mora that is available on Amazon??

I'll post pics later!

Cool Luke! The EDK is a great knife and the scandi would make it a great carver.

I don't have a Mora hook knife to compare, but from what I hear, the Mora's need a lot of work to get 'em sharp and useable where the Pinewood Forge was a lightsaber out of the box.

Cool Luke! The EDK is a great knife and the scandi would make it a great carver.

I don't have a Mora hook knife to compare, but from what I hear, the Mora's need a lot of work to get 'em sharp and useable where the Pinewood Forge was a lightsaber out of the box.

Very good to know, thanks for the input. Both my older girls want to carve with Daddy, so I'd like to make a wise investment!

I have one of the mora hook knives and it came dull. At the time I got it I didn't have the skills to get it sharp. I ended up getting a hook knife from North Bay Forge and it came scary, scary sharp. There also was no wait. I ordered it and he shipped it immediately. Great knife and service.

13F3108D-9E89-4D1C-A1C9-6602D85E0999_zpsdkardzvn.jpg

Last edited:
Redbird,
The EDK does have a convex grind and wants to chew out larger pieces of wood. The Stingray with its hollow grind lends itself to more precise and detailed work if that makes much sense. The hollow allows you to flatten the knife, while maintaining contact between the wood and cutting edge. Both blades are 1/8 steel in 01. The Stingray has a longer blade, that can help and hinder your carving at times. Both have good reasons for why they make good carving knives, and that's why I use both.
This is just my observation, with my two knives. I hope this helps a little.

Thanks Uncle_P make perfect sense. Sounds like a great knife. Just got my first scandi FF this week. Can't wait to try it and see what I can carve. Maybe it will be good enough to post hahahaha.

Thanks!

I have one of the mora hook knives and it came dull. At the time I got it I didn't have the skills to get it sharp. I ended up getting a hook knife from North Bay Forge and it came scary, scary sharp. There also was no wait. I ordered it and he shipped it immediately. Great knife and service.

:thumbup: on North Bay Forge with Fiddleback's. Two top notch makers for carving pleasure.

This is my carving setup.

Fiddleback Bushcraft Karda

North Bay forge (L-R):

-Deep Bent Knife
-Shallow Bent Knife
-Mini Deep Bent Knife
-Straight Blade Knife

-Straight Micro-Draw Knife (Top)

xBzO1ea.jpg

Martin

Last edited:
Now I'm a little jealous, since there are no scandis in my collection. I'm sure it will serve you well. Can't wait to see what you come up with, after all if I can do it I'm sure you can too! :)

Martin,
Very nice setup. I thought I was jealous thinking about carving with a scandi, now I'm definitely jealous.

Preston

Here's what I've got right now:

368DDC1B-524D-46AE-83F0-907DBF3B7DC3_zpsfva3cab7.jpg

8DB93288-B05E-4C75-89A0-A687387AFEB8_zpsqc7kdjbg.jpg

I decided not to go with the Mora. I wanted a Pinewood Forge, but couldn't wait the 8-10 weeks, so I've got a Deepwoods hook knife on its way to friends in time to be sent in a Christmas box!

My mora has served me well. It did need some sharpening attention and I made a leather slip sheath for it. But it's been well.

6731AEDD-D129-4524-8721-94A277F0199D-7768-0000044557F88570_zpse7cf5f49.jpg

67FCEA8F-896B-463E-8EA5-F4926D93AB1D-7768-0000044562DFA126_zpsf4270d5f.jpg

F8BE8ED9-2969-4FF0-B414-E764E4753011-7768-000004456CC11D07_zpsbeb49f17.jpg

Hey Guys,
Was looking for my Grandfathers carvings and found my first try sticks I did with white aspen when I was helping do sheetrock and flooring at a church camp in New Mexico. I'm sorry to say it was not with a FF but one is a Cousin Dogwood. The next batches will for sure, am loving my KEB. Took pics with the knives I used.

imagejpg1_zps6e0d9b01.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey Guys,

Anyone carve anything for the holidays yet? Uncle_P I love that Stingray! SA Condor, how do you like the Raptor for carving?

Good stuff guys. I like the long handles on those North Bay Forge. I'll have to check them out.

Good looking try sticks Redbird.

Those Bushcraft kardas look like they'll make great little carvers, I'd love to try one of those in a scandi grind some day.

I pulled a muscle in my back last Friday & wasn't able to do much all weekend, so I had plenty of time to try out my new Hiking Buddy.

First I did this ugly one (laying flat on my back, that was a first for me, lol):

15929968002_28da2fd058_b.jpg

And since that went so easily I decided to try & see how small I could go with this knife. This is the smallest netting-needle I ever made:

15904818676_ebfc1ebdce_b.jpg

Ain't it cute? :D

When I first got my Hiking Buddy I was a little disappointed with it's size to be honest. I have fairly small hands for a guy but I still prefer thick hand-filling handles on my knives, and the HB has a pretty small and thin handle compared to what I'm used to. But my disappointment went away quickly once I started carving. It really is a very comfortable knife to use, at least for me. I was afraid that the smaller & thinner handle would result in a fatigue hand pretty quickly but that was never the case. Well done Andy
thumbsupsmiley.gif

Redbird - glad you like it, it is a very versitle blade. Big enough to use in the kitchen and on the trail, while still nimble enough for carving small pieces and detail work.
I like the try sticks, the hard part for me is symmetry and balance of the carving. These look very well done, nice job.

I am finishing up a cat for my mother in law, her grandkids call her Grama Cat. I will post some pics up soon.

Another project that my 13 yr old son and I have started are his presents to his classmates. He wanted to give a few friends a Cross for Christmas. There are too many to carve by hand and the wood I am using is stabilized and some of it dyed. This makes the wood very hard and in turn, difficult to carve by hand. I will post up some pics of these as well.

Goober - sorry to hear about the back. Get better soon. The needles are pretty cool. I like the detail on the small one with the curved bottom and angled sides, nice touch.

Back