Carvings

Man, I love seeing all these scandis (or at least the vast majority of the knives pictured) doing what they do best!

Goober - sorry to hear about the back. Get better soon. The needles are pretty cool. I like the detail on the small one with the curved bottom and angled sides, nice touch.

Thanks Uncle_P
thumbsupsmiley.gif

I'm still a bit stiff but I'm walking again, luckily it was just a pulled muscle and not a disk problem.

& thanks for the compliment as well. I just tried to make something usable, my carvings never look real pretty to be honest :rolleyes:

This is a great thread! I still need to break in the crooked knife Lisa got me for Christmas last year. Hopefully now that the madness of the recent bad business venture has passed, hopefully I'll get to do that soon. I did mention to a certain someone that a full set of hand-made tapered tang carving tools would be really cool...

My mora has served me well. It did need some sharpening attention and I made a leather slip sheath for it. But it's been well.

F8BE8ED9-2969-4FF0-B414-E764E4753011-7768-000004456CC11D07_zpsbeb49f17.jpg

I didn't want to wait for a Pinewood forge one so I ordered a Mora Hook knife as well this week. I did order a "special grade" one from Baryonyx though, I hope that makes the difference.

I really like that simple sheath you made for it, is it hard to get the knife in and out?

I didn't want to wait for a Pinewood forge one so I ordered a Mora Hook knife as well this week. I did order a "special grade" one from Baryonyx though, I hope that makes the difference.

I really like that simple sheath you made for it, is it hard to get the knife in and out?

Getting the special grade from Baryonyx should do the trick. Ben's a good guy and I've purchased multiple special grade items from him and he's always delivered them in top shape.

My Deepwoods Ventures Hook knife is at my friends and will be shipped down in a Christmas box! Hopefully should be here before Christmas and not after. I'll post some pics with my EDKarda when it finally gets here.

Getting the special grade from Baryonyx should do the trick. Ben's a good guy and I've purchased multiple special grade items from him and he's always delivered them in top shape.

I don't remember in which thread I read it, but it was a post of yours somewhere on this forum through which I became aware of them. So thanks, that's the second knife you made me buy so far
thumbsupsmiley.gif

Come to think of it, you're probably at least half the reason I got a scandi Hiking Buddy as well, so make that 2,5 knives
:p

Thanks. It takes a little bit of wiggling to thread it on and off but nothing overly difficult. It was easy to make and simple to use.

This was a carving I made at my wife's suggestion, for her mom that everyone calls Grama Cat.

I hope y'all like it.
Preston

Very nice Preston. What wood is that and how did you finish it?

I need to try an owl for my daughter. Her great grandma collected owls and passed them on to my daughter, and she totally loves owls now. I'd be a hero if I could figure out how to carve her one.

Thanks y'all.
Redbird - not sure a video is necessary. I'll try and take some in progress shots for my next subject. My niece wants a frog, in the shape of while swimming or jumping. :) that should be a challenge for sure.

Thurin - the wood is oak. I have a good bit of development around the area I live. The wood I like to work with is root wood. The species of wood is not that critical. I like root wood cause it doesn't shrink or crack much. Also, you can get some crazy cross grain and swirls with it, plus no one really cares about the root wood. You can do an owl for sure, the head and features might be tricky but no problem for you. Would like to see it for sure.

Goober and Thurin - the finish is glossy polyurethane. The final sanding is with 400 or 600. I'll normally go with 2 or 3 coats of poly.

Preston

This isnt my work, but I had to share it! Forum member and fellow Fiddleback fanatic/JouFuu sheath owner, Towntrader, sent me this belated Christmas present.

The spider sheath is for me and the Bushfinger is for Andy. The craftsmanship here is AMAZING! Thank you so much Chea!

carvings_1.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bud, thanks for sharing -- Chea, AMAZING work, I'm pretty speechless on that one!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back