Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

Thanks alot guys. Hit some thrift stores today and grabbed some new iron for the house. I can always count on people in the forums to get my attention focused just where it needs to be. I warned my wife this morning that I had found this thread. Anyways looking forward to trying it out.

Cast iron cookware is incredible and it's cooking performance in many ways outshines more "modern" cookware.

Damn double tap - arghhh!

DT_zpsaaade0d1.jpg

pOdP7BS.jpg

Marinaded this steak since sunday, the giant portabellas got a quick dip in the marinade right before hitting the pan which already had a tspn of butter and half a head of garlic (chopped large) in it browning up. The peppers got a light dusting of dry rub an hit the grill.
tLiY92f.jpg

Have the pans at home but I have to dig the dutch oven and griddle out of camping storage.

I just have this one so far, and I'm still new to cast iron cooking, but everything I've cooked on it so far has been pretty tasty.

DSC00400_zpsa588ceff.jpg

DSC00406_zpsb7fda0d7.jpg

DSC00404_zpsb006a36a.jpg

Daizee---- works just fine on the electric stove :D

And guyon--- nice iron!

It really is awesome to see others who have the CI love!

Loving the new grill. Here's supper. First veggies...

8884632969_eed223d440_c.jpg

And a few pineapple rings....

8884619735_f02953e250_c.jpg

And some shrimp. Made a remoulade sauce that turned out great.

8885229266_ed372858fc_c.jpg

I really, really like this little grill. :D

Loving the new grill. Here's supper. First veggies...

8884632969_eed223d440_c.jpg

I really, really like this little grill. :D
I love seeing that!!! I have been addicted to mine from the minute I saw it. There is nothing that cooks like one of these.
Welcome to the addiction!

I love seeing that!!! I have been addicted to mine from the minute I saw it. There is nothing that cooks like one of these.
Welcome to the addiction!

Mine hit town a couple of hours ago. If all goes well, it'll be on tomorrow's truck, and I'll be grilling on it tomorrow night.

Any one like the "sissy" enamel coated Le Creuset?:D Yeah I know "No churching it up":p

Here are some of my "French" dutch ovens with a couple Magnalite's, and my small skillets. ( The big dogs would rip the roof off)

I have a collection of Le Creuset gratin pans, chicken fryers, sauce pans ,round skillets/ pizza pans, trivets, escargo pans, LOL.....and I have some Wagner ware as well, but damn I need to start to hit them thrift stores again. You guys got me going again!! That's how I got 90% of mine ;)

We used to do a 60 mile loop and hit about 11 thrift stores:D:thumbup: We'd run in (my wife and I) and race to the pan section. We had to wrestle folks for some LOL, but usually either that thrift store knows what they have or they don't. Some seem to pull the good stuff, but you'll learn your area:cool::thumbup:

Oh and a Griswold....

I'm a big fan of all quality cast irons, especially American, but today we only have 1 choice, so when I go abroad I like Le Creuset, better than paying marked up Griswold prices on the exchange......

Plus Le Creuset has a life time warranty and you can send in your broken pan for a new one, because they have a head quarters in South Carolina ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDOljJrHsg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcvZvfSo5s4 Here is how they are manufactured.

Oh and I'm getting that Sportsman grill too!! Someday... Hope to see one at a Thrift store:cool::thumbup: But for real, That's one I'd buy, cause I can't wait!! :)

Last edited:
Mine hit town a couple of hours ago. If all goes well, it'll be on tomorrow's truck, and I'll be grilling on it tomorrow night.

I have been within 80 miles of mine several times lately but haven't been home to grill on it since August.:(
I'm going through some serious withdrawals.
Enjoy it. They are fantastic.

So, what advantage does the Lodge grill have over the Weber Smokey Joe or kettle? We already use those all the time...

Oh, and the Lumberjack...gotta get one of those and keep forgetting. We have 3 or 4 trips a summer where we're making breakfast for at least 12 people.

I am glad this thread popped up. Lately I have been considering asking for a Dutch Oven for Fathers Day. I have some return credit at the big river store and was checking out their lineup. I know Lodge is the best but saw some other brands that caught my eye (camp chef, universal housewares) I know that not all Cast Iron is created equal but dont know much else about the subject. So I am asking for some guidance. What brands are good? What size is good for me? I will be using it mostly over a fire, cooking for my wife and 3 small children (and myself obviously)--I really like the lids of the other brands that have the legs built in so you can flip them over and use them as griddles (to my understanding you can do that with any D.O. lid but it seems like the legs make is so much easier) Thanks in advance--

I am glad this thread popped up. Lately I have been considering asking for a Dutch Oven for Fathers Day. I have some return credit at the big river store and was checking out their lineup. I know Lodge is the best but saw some other brands that caught my eye (camp chef, universal housewares) I know that not all Cast Iron is created equal but dont know much else about the subject. So I am asking for some guidance. What brands are good? What size is good for me? I will be using it mostly over a fire, cooking for my wife and 3 small children (and myself obviously)--I really like the lids of the other brands that have the legs built in so you can flip them over and use them as griddles (to my understanding you can do that with any D.O. lid but it seems like the legs make is so much easier) Thanks in advance--

All good questions. I'll let others chime in, but for us it is important that the cast iron cookware was made in North America. I think most if not all of Lodge's cast iron products are made in the US. Can someone confirm?

Cast Iron is the best. It's all I will cook on these days and I have been using it since I was in college, so almost 15 years.
Thought about getting some of those new fancy pots and pans When I got married and were registering but if you season your cast iron correctly and take care of it, Nothing can beat it!

Here is some Deer and onions I cooked.
IMG_3644_zps3b5ef80e.jpg

IMG_3645_zps04713c21.jpg

Here is Deer and home made potato fries.
IMG_3429_zps36b75832.jpg

IMG_3433_zps3b4b4ad5.jpg

Deer stew.
IMG_3679_zpse1c5a2f9.jpg

Eggs and mushrooms and bacon
IMG_4215_zps0f6b23c4.jpg

Will take pics of my collection soon.

I guess I could steal my moms. She doesn't use it anywhos. Today is her birthday. Stealing her grill would be a nice birthday present, haha.

Back