CBSA seized a legal knife.

I apologize in advance if this thread is posted in the wrong subforum, or if I missed some relevant advice. I created an account primarily to get some input regarding my current situation. I suspect that there are many similar tales of woe to be found on this forum, so I thought some of you might have some advice to offer.

I'm Canadian, living in Canada, and over the past couple of years I have become a casual collector of knives (mostly folding knives) and multitools. Over the course of that period, I have ordered several folding knives from China (including several Ganzo knives), and have never had an issue, as I only imported knives which I knew to be legal in Canada.

Recently, while awaiting delivery of my third Ganzo (model G7533), and a Sanrenmu (model 7023 LUI) which I had ordered from Gearbest, I recieved a letter from the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency informing be that both knives had been set aside for inspection, implying that border agents had reason to believe that one or both knives were prohibited weapons. The letter went on to state that a decision would be made within 4-6 weeks.

I was a little surprised by this letter, but knowing that both knives were regular, thumb-stud folders, I assumed that they would recognize the legality of both blades and release them after further inspection.

I guess that, as many of you have already surmised, I was being naive. Today, I received a follow-up letter, informing me that the Ganzo knife (the Sanrenmu was not mentioned) is a centrifugal opening blade, and is therefore a prohibited weapon. Now, I KNOW that this is not the case. I research every knife I buy before ordering, and there are plenty of videos and reviews out there which clearly show that this knife is absolutely not designed to be centrifugal, and that it functions in the same manner as any regular folding blade that can be purchased at Wal-Mart or Canadian tire, or any number of domestic retailers. It is possible, I suppose, that a loose screw could result in the knife being opened in this manner, but I have heard zero reports of Ganzos having this issue, and their quality control generally seems to be quite high. Also, the same "defect" could be true of nearly any folder.

I, of course, have the opportunity to appeal the decision of the CBSA in writing, but I'm wondering if there's any reasonable means of doing so. I have no access to the evidence that they posses, so all I can do is point out the same reasoning I've stated above. This seems like an incredibly unfair situation, and despite the fact that I know I have little chance of winning, I feel pretty angry about the idea of the CBSA simply being able to seize legally bought goods when I am at such a disadvantage in defending my case.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

waiting for someone to hammer on you about for buying a ganzo and their copying and theft deal that comes up every thread on this brand.

the good news they are cheap enough, i dont know if youll have any luck. im gonna bet no, but maybe Canadian officials are reasonable?

waiting for someone to hammer on you about for buying a ganzo and their copying and theft deal that comes up every thread on this brand.

Yeah, well, I buy other brands when I can, but I'm also a broke student, and Ganzo makes quality stuff, so I take what I can get sometimes.

Yeah, well, I buy other brands when I can, but I'm also a broke student, and Ganzo makes quality stuff, so I take what I can get sometimes.

im not picking on ya, but someone will. eventually a pile of anti ganzo folks will congregrate on here and not stop. seen it too many times.

dont worry theyll hammer on me too for supporting theft, even though i dont.

thread proabably belongs in the legal forum, but it will get moved if it should be.

Recently, while awaiting delivery of my third Ganzo (model G7533), and a Sanrenmu (model 7023 LUI) which I had ordered from Gearbest, I recieved a letter from the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency informing be that both knives had been set aside for inspection, implying that border agents had reason to believe that one or both knives were prohibited weapons.

but maybe Canadian officials are reasonable?

Ha ha aha ha ha . . . wait, was that serious?

From past experience, don't be surprised if a law enforcement professional (police or border patrol) in Canada randomly decides that if, on their seventeenth try they're able to finally wrist flick a folder open, that it's suddenly a "deadly weapon" or a fearsome "gravity knife".

I ship knives to Canada occasionally and they've declared 1/3 of all Benchmades I've sent there deadly assault weapons of mass destruction (this despite my intentionally tightening the pivots to the point that they can barely be opened). Admittedly, I've only shipped three Benchmade knives there, though.

I've seen the same silliness in the US, though. I once saw a Wisconsin state trooper flail around so hard I think he probably needed rotator cuff surgery afterwards before finally getting a guy's knife to open, and then giving him the "Say, this is a very nice, er, illegal knife. I'm going to have to take this for myself, er, confiscate it . . . or I guess I could charge you with carrying a deadly weapon if that's your preference".

^ Canadian officials are not reasonable. There have been an increase in these incidents lately, based on what I read on the firearm forum I'm on up here. It is the one reason I don't order from the US, as knives have been taken that are legally sold in box stores or online retailers in the country. Ridiculous.

It's sad that a law enforcement agency can just arbitrarily make up legal interpretation, but unfortunately it just costs too much to fight.

I quit getting folders across border but still buy fixed blades with no problem.....so far. Some weird laws we have to adhere to. Can get a sword no problem but a 3" folder is a WMD because it can be opened easily...who thinks this garbage up.
Good luck OP

Ha ha aha ha ha . . . wait, was that serious?

From past experience, don't be surprised if a law enforcement professional (police or border patrol) in Canada randomly decides that if, on their seventeenth try they're able to finally wrist flick a folder open, that it's suddenly a "deadly weapon" or a fearsome "gravity knife".

I ship knives to Canada occasionally and they've declared 1/3 of all Benchmades I've sent there deadly assault weapons of mass destruction (this despite my intentionally tightening the pivots to the point that they can barely be opened). Admittedly, I've only shipped three Benchmade knives there, though.

I've seen the same silliness in the US, though. I once saw a Wisconsin state trooper flail around so hard I think he probably needed rotator cuff surgery afterwards before finally getting a guy's knife to open, and then giving him the "Say, this is a very nice, er, illegal knife. I'm going to have to take this for myself, er, confiscate it . . . or I guess I could charge you with carrying a deadly weapon if that's your preference".

Good ole Swissconsin. The land of cheese, fees, and indignities. At least that's what we call it here in Northern Illinois.

I won't harp on about ganzo, that is your choice. But if border patrol or some other law enforcement officer sees something that they like, that in any way could possibly be construed as illegal, it ends up in their pocket, or backpack.

This is one reason why a large percentage of sellers on the exchange only ship to the continental US. People just don't want to deal with this kind of hassle.

Whenever I fly, I hide my knife/knives under the insoles of my shoes in my checked bag. And I never carry a knife of major value.

I rarely buy things from overseas, but that's just me. Sorry you lost the knife. All I can say is next time buy from a reputable dealer in the U.S. or Canadia.

hahaha so true all of the above

a. Ganzos are nice for the $, philosophy, ethics and politics apart. From an objective point of view they're great bang-for-your-buck folders and allow you to try lots of shapes, styles, etc.
b. Sorry about that story, in Europe things are not that much different
c. Customs agents all around the world are famous for their corruption, lies, tricks, plays and similar stuff. Don't have to believe it, it's just a fact.
d. Hope everything ends up well, and that you don't get excessive bashing from anti Ganzo people and Chinese-hating parties here. No, I do not encourage or approve theft or IP stealing, but many Ganzos do not do that or are original versions made by them (especially later and newer models, maybe they're learning and trying to appeal to a wider public?)

I'm very happy about the fact that Wisconsin has done away with our knife laws. We can now carry any knife we want any way we want and state law preempts any local law. Life is good. ;)

Sorry to hear about your problems, OP. I doubt you're going to win any appeal. There's just no benefit to the government in giving your knives back. Any attempt to force them to do so will cost more than the knives are worth. They knew this when they stole them.

When living in Canada and ordering knives from abroad ask the people you are buying from to crank down the pivot as tight as possible without hurting the knife before they ship it. This will make it much more likely that the knife will make it across the border.

hahaha so true all of the above

a. Ganzos are nice for the $, philosophy, ethics and politics apart. From an objective point of view they're great bang-for-your-buck folders and allow you to try lots of shapes, styles, etc.
b. Sorry about that story, in Europe things are not that much different
c. Customs agents all around the world are famous for their corruption, lies, tricks, plays and similar stuff. Don't have to believe it, it's just a fact.
d. Hope everything ends up well, and that you don't get excessive bashing from anti Ganzo people and Chinese-hating parties here. No, I do not encourage or approve theft or IP stealing, but many Ganzos do not do that or are original versions made by them (especially later and newer models, maybe they're learning and trying to appeal to a wider public?)

Really???
You got pics to back that up?

Well, fastest pics of mine I could find.
Ganzos that I own or have owned which are not clones/copies/etc. I believe

20160302_161355_zpsp2hcn1rd.jpg

second from top, with orange/brownish handle
IMG_20160410_080514_344_zpsvfegiahv.jpg

as well as their G714, G716 and G708 that I've posted pictures of here at the forums many times before

How to avoid custom issues in Canada :

• Get your stuff on knifecenter.com
  • get ripped off 100 canadian $ for Fedex
  • get the magic extra 40$ brokerage bribery fee :p (srsly it will be bad business for Fedex if their parcels got seized as often as ebay dealers using standard postal services)
  • Get your knife home within 4 days.
not worth it on Gonzo's, IMO :)

I always wonder if a good amount of the knives are confiscated on purpose to wind up in inspectors "Personal Collections" .If the agent sees something they like say to themselves" That would work real nice in my weekly rotation"

I always wonder if a good amount of the knives are confiscated on purpose to wind up in inspectors "Personal Collections" .If the agent sees something they like say to themselves" That would work real nice in my weekly rotation"

Possibly, but I think it's more likely that it's just a means of inflating their "confiscated weapons" numbers, in order to show what a great job they're doing, and how many weapons might slip through if their budget were to be lowered.

Maybe the CBSA just hates Ganzo's and Sanrenmu because their chinese companies who steal intellectual property. China stealing intellectual property cost just the United States economy last year alone an estimated somewhere to be in the tens, or hundreds of BILLIONS. Yes, using american designs and stuff like the mimicking the Benchmade Axis lock is stealing intellectual property. On a different note; never had a knife an issue with the CBSA holding or keeping a knife of mine. That includes multiple Benchmades, SOGs and Hinderers.

Back