• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Check Your Six - Custom hand-checkering and wood scales

Hello BladeForums! I'm pleased to announce today that I will be offering my services making hand-checkered wood scales for knives (and potentially pistol grips as well in the near future!). I've posted a few threads lately displaying my work which were well received by the community so I'm pleased to offer the opportunity to own some very special scales.

Books are temporarily closed!

IMAG0696.jpg

How I do my work (pic heavy):
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...kered-walnut-content)-and-formal-introduction

Special thread about my checkering (also pic heavy):
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...heckering-your-Skyline-scales-from-an-amateur

I can make scales for any knife, fixed or folding, that does not require extensive milling (i.e. assisted openers generally I cannot do) so if the back side of the scale is smooth across the whole side then I shouldn't have any problem working for you. As shown in the threads above, I usually work with walnut but I am not opposed to making a special order for your favorite kind of wood, just keep in mind that checkering (while more difficult for me) generally comes out better on hard wood and this will take a few extra days. Please understand that fiber materials, particularly glass fiber materials such as G10 will dull my checkering files and as such I do not work with these materials. I will require that you send me your knife so I can match the scales as closely as possible. You can rest assured that your favorite knives are safe with me. :) Fitment is generally 95% or better, but as I do all the work by freehand, there may be some variance. I consider my finishes and checkering to be of even higher quality.

I offer two standard classes of service for typical knives with two scales: Class 1: both sides checkered, or Class 2: your choice of side checkered, the other side smooth. Of course I will also work on knives such as frame locks with one scale. You can see examples of the difference between classes below that I did for my own Kershaw Skyline as well as one I did for a relative recently. If you have an idea of something you would like differently for your project please don't hesitate to ask me!

If you know about checkering or have done it yourself you know it is incredibly time consuming and a true art with few people caring to do it by hand anymore (look at your gun, the checkering is probably pressed in!). As such, price will vary slightly depending on the size of your knife mainly depending on the amount of checkering involved. Please PM me here for a quote for your project and to sign up for service. I can finish one or two projects per week depending on the classes of service selected. I will take two or three orders at a time, opening and closing ordering periods as I fill current orders and take more. Keep an eye on this thread for when order slots open up! I will post that I am taking more orders and when books close. Of course, slots are first come, first serve. Thank you very much for your interest!

As promised, a few example photos

My personal EDC with Class 1 treatment. This was my first presentable set (Note ZT clip is only offered if you send me a clip)
IMAG0695.jpg

7992c7bb-4a38-4445-a6dd-33805e5b0034.jpg

IMAG0689.jpg

A Class 2 project, as my most recent job, these scales most accurately demonstrate my skills
IMAG0717.jpg

IMAG0718.jpg

Thanks again everyone :)
--Luke

Last edited:
I just got all of my first orders sent out USPS this morning so I'm open for more work. These would make a great Father's Day gift!

Amazing work!!! This is my Ontario Retribution 1, pimped out with Walnut, looks better than the original micarta and feels better. So what you guys waiting for, send him your knife!

I've been waiting for a piece of carbon fiber to be restocked at a supplier I like that will suit an experimental project I want to try. It just got restocked and I imagine it will be here by the weekend. Stay tuned for new goodies. :cool:

Hi guys I finally got the tool I needed for my special project so this weekend I hope to have something nice to show! In other news, I wanted to say that I do accept trades in exchange for pimping. I'm most interested in Benchmade, ZT/Kershaw and some Spydercos. Just shoot me an offer; I'm looking for more business. :)

I've handled a couple of oharal's knives and they feel great and are lightweight. I'll be having him make me some scales for sure

Here's a ZT 0550 I just returned to another BF member! Note the effect the sunlight has on the finish. It really pops in the sun and almost has a metallic flake effect at certain angles.

Hey yankee, send me an email with a couple pictures! I bet I can. Email is in my signature

Hey I'm sorry about that. I havent seen anything from you. Try again if you don't mind. I get lots of mail from the EE dept at school so it might've been mixed in and slipped by me.

Back