Chef's Knives, What's Yours and Let's See Them!

Hey Im happy to hear this one is preforming well for ya! HHH Knives Is also the initials of my youngest son, who was almost one when I made my first knife. Also H being the first initial of my last name and I have 2 sons, so HHH just sorta evolved.. The Hand made Heavy duty Hunting knives just sorts fit the bill and I thought sounded pretty cool at the time when most of the knives I made were just that! :)

Again thanks guys for the kind words and comments. and Thanks Kris for the update on that beautiful blade!

I would show you my kitchen knife but its kinda embarrassing compared to some of the knives you guys are using! lol :)
Well there it is regarding HHH from none other than HHH! Anyhow, I can only imagine the awesomeness of your kitchen cutlery. Can we can have a sneak peek?

I will show ya my main knife, 9" no name vintage carbon steel chef.! lol :) Yep Its my baby! I also have a couple smaller stainless steel knives that get used once in a while. But this is my favorite! :)

Attachments

• stuff 030.jpg
    stuff 030.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 115
  • stuff 032.jpg
    stuff 032.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 161
I will show ya my main knife, 9" no name vintage carbon steel chef.! lol :) Yep Its my baby! I also have a couple smaller stainless steel knives that get used once in a while. But this is my favorite! :)
Now there's a knife that's invaluable to you. May you derive more pleasure with use through the years to come. Thanks for sharing and showing your "baby!"

These all got some use yesterday. The huge Dexter-Russell was used by one of my prep cooks because he wanted to use a larger knife. So I pulled it out for him. I never use it. It's just too large being 12 inches long. I bought it in 1975. The Forschner is one I got for another of my cooks. I told her if she took care of that one I would get her a nicer one later on. I use it more than she does. LOL The other two are my go to knives when I'm really working in the kitchen.
photobucket-776-1339887863312.jpg

That looks identical to one that my folks have. I love that thing.

That looks identical to one that my folks have. I love that thing.

Blunt Forged Edge; Now there's a knife that's invaluable to you. May you derive more pleasure with use through the years to come. Thanks for sharing and showing your "baby!"[/QUOTE said:
This was a gift from a very good friend and chef, And it takes a stupid sharp edge and cuts perfectly!! solid geomitry and preformance in a 60 to 100 year old tool, GOTA LOVE IT! I can only hope that 80 years from now someone is showing off one of the knives I made saying the same thing! :)

Thanks guys for the nice comments on my baby!

Happy Fathers Day!

Nice pair gak! How's that Ticbourne working out for you?

I'm very picky but I couldn't ask for more. The handle is perfect in all grips, the cryo'd 440c holds my thin convex edge very well, and the shape/size of it makes chopping so easy it almost feels like I'm cheating. I still grin like an idiot when using it. :thumbup:

I'll have to grab pics sometime when I'm at home...

But here's the list...
Global Yanagiba, for when I'm doing sushi, it makes single cuts on rolls much easier and cleaner
Wusthof Grand Prix 8" chef's knife, which gets the bulk of the work
Henckels 6" santoku, soft steel takes an edge easy, but needs to be touched up constantly - need to get something better here but it still gets lots of use
Wusthof Grand prix 4" paring knife
L'Enfer 5" carbon steel all purpose shape, old stock
Assorted ceramic knives fairly sharp, easy clean, non marking for lettuce and the like... unsharpenable by me so whenb they get too dull they go out the door... :( a fad item IMO. easily chpped or broken tips if you aren't a knife nut and can't be used around bones etc.

I'll have to grab pics sometime when I'm at home...

But here's the list...
Global Yanagiba, for when I'm doing sushi, it makes single cuts on rolls much easier and cleaner
Wusthof Grand Prix 8" chef's knife, which gets the bulk of the work
Henckels 6" santoku, soft steel takes an edge easy, but needs to be touched up constantly - need to get something better here but it still gets lots of use
Wusthof Grand prix 4" paring knife
L'Enfer 5" carbon steel all purpose shape, old stock
Assorted ceramic knives fairly sharp, easy clean, non marking for lettuce and the like... unsharpenable by me so whenb they get too dull they go out the door... :( a fad item IMO. easily chpped or broken tips if you aren't a knife nut and can't be used around bones etc.
Interesting set of knives you've got. Also, could you explain "non marking for lettuce and the like. . ." with he "ceramic knives?" Now, I'm not a Executive Chef as stated above in my first post; but I've read somewhere that using ceramic knives to cut lettuce "adds a day before lettuce turns brown." Is that what you mean? Just curious here that's all.

Two chef's knives - I'm a humble home cook...no chef - and a complement. Misono Swedish Carbon 240mm, Hiromoto AS (former santoku 190mm), Robert Herder's K2. Pic was taken in a hurry...

picture hosting

Last edited:
Two chef's knives - I'm a humble home cook...no chef - and a complement. Misono Swedish Carbon 240mm, Hiromoto AS (former santoku 190mm), Robert Herder's K2. Pic was taken in a hurry...

Now that's a Trio that would be welcome in any kitchen! Nice!

Eight knives right now

Shun Classic:

32 layer Damascus steel clad with VG- max high carbon steel edge core and D- shaped ebony "Pakka" wood handle

10" Chef
9" Bread
7" Santoku
6" Boning/ Fillet
6" Cleaver
3 1/2" Paring

Shun Edo:

Solid VG- 10 steel with a hammered finish

8" Chef

Shun Classic Pro:

Solid VG- 10 with single beveled edge and laser etched finish

6 1/2" Usuba ( the shape of a Nakiri but with single beveled edge )

Have 2 1945 Wusthof--a boning knife and a long slicer- from Germany, still razor sharp; Also, several Ergo Chef knives, believe it or not, with the weird handles that I love, the 8 incher being my go to knife for fast slicing and dicing. I'm pleasantly surprised with these, as they hold an edge quite well. I don't go in much for fancy names, just what works. Oh, and a cheap cleaver that will whack the hell out of a chicken.

This is my everyday user August Kullenberg I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
kt1.jpg

These get used when ever I need somthing else
Diamond Walnut Give away with the inlaid in the handle has Black Angus II on the blade. The biggest knife is a Montana Knife Works 7” blade.
The fillet knife is a RUKO 5” great little knife another one that will stay with me.
Knife with the round tip is a J.A Hinckels.
The other 2 small with black handles Victorinox.
Nothing special just some knock around cutters
kt2.jpg

Ok, time to finally contribute to this thread. I won't post them all in one reply since I am short on time. Here are the first two...

Fujiwara FKH 210mm Gyuto (my first japanese gyuto, love at first slice)

38v7.jpg

Mystery Stainless Gyuto, 210mm with a custom handle by Stefan Keller

tr8a.jpg

Back