Chef's Knives, What's Yours and Let's See Them!

Joe, you missed one:

IMG_0611_zps42686f03.jpg

Thanks, Matt. I didn't have a clear picture of that one, "clear" meaning "picture taken by someone other than me.":eek::D

I'm not Asian nor am I a professional chef. I'm the main cook in the family and have worked on developing a style in the kitchen through years of experimentation..... in other words no training. I do enjoy the time spend prepping and my main knife is a 240mm Gesshin Ginga in white #2 steel. For a 240 it's light and nimble but the best feature is the grind is so thin that even when it starts to get dull it just slides through food. That has more to do with the amazing grind and less about if it is a Japanese knife or not.

Im asian and prefer japanese knives for work, because theyre usually thin and light (great for long shifts), and the steel is amazing.

most wouldn't know until you rub it on a high grit stone, fjne steel feels like wet glass and cheap steel feels like lava rocks.

I have a wursof(spelling) and while it works fine it doesnt compare in performance to a japanese equivalent.

also most japanese knives are carbon instead of stainless.

I asked my headchef why sushi knives are carbon and not stainless, he joked that in japan (he was born in japan) only women and children use stainless, that real men can take care of their tools.

270 mm Kochi
DSC_0026.JPG

240 Gesshin Ginga & 240 Zakuri
DSC_0006.JPG

12" 4 Elephant Sab & 10" Dexter Russel
DSC_0029.JPG

4" , 6" , 8" MesserMeisters
DSC_0006.JPG

My Old Mundials
10A_0012.jpg

12" of Unknown Origin with DIY Handle
DSC_0012.JPG

Tomsch, I agree about amazing grinds. My wustof can be given an amazing grind but it will not keep it and roll over (soft metal). I find its optimal grind and it works great but falls short when compared.

One of my working prototypes that i use daily i made a while back. 15n20 carbon, .065" at the spine, 7 3/4" blade, copper bolsters, 15 degree bevel, micarta scales and brass pin. I manage to make a couple of these and gave them to my friends. They all seem to like 'em.

Since then my knives have morphed into more conventional looking pieces. My recent stuff. 7 1/2" chef, 6" nakiri and 4" paring. Wedding gift for a foodie friend of mine. 52100, stabilized Mallee burl scales, copper bolster and my copper and aluminum mosiac pins. Ready for buffing.
1073305_10151757723619708_1920563560_o.jpg

Absolutely in Love....I would not mind handling one of those for a few months straight.

Currently I am using a Miyabi Evo and a Kramer 8" and a Global 10"...But I use the kramer for just about everything. Fabricating chicken, fish, prep...Half rack of beef or pork..haha. Nose to tail..Im trying to figure out how to post pictures from my Iphone but I may just have to upload them somehow else..

I'm shocked I'll tell ya'....almost a year and a half this thread was started and no one posted Uncle Ethan's finest culinary paint brushes....

You know what they say, bad "brushes", and your frying pan is nothing more than an empty "canvas".

While not in the shape of a traditional chef knife, this is what I use when I pretend to be a chef.

Hand forged 1095, 10", tapered tang and distal taper, bookmatched cocobolo and stainless handle. I used it to cut a 2x6 in half the other day and haven't had to sharpen it yet.

The other piece is a vintage lamplough 8" cleaver I just received yesterday. When I was in Sydney our hotel was a couple of blocks from Chinatown so we went to some of the stores there and in one supermarket type store they had a nice selection of cleavers and I bought a stainless one of all things. I held one huge, heavy 10" carbon steel one that I am still kicking myself for not buying instead.

While I'm not Asian, I really want a Chinese chef knife, I hate taking the cutting board to the pan/pot to sweep the food in, I think I'd like it because the cleaver size allows it to be used to pick up and transport the food to the wok plus they are thinner and lighter than a cleaver to take a keen edge and not cause fatigue.

20131019_142421_zps81ff8613.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just received this beauty after quite the wait, but it was definitely worth it. The person who made this is truly a perfectionist.

Details
Maker: Marko Tsourkan
Steel: 52100
Edge Length: 255mm
Full Distal Taper
Handle: Mokume and Blackwood ferrule with Desert Ironwood.
Saya: Select grade poplar

Makers take note: This is a fantastic profile, long enough flat section for push cutting and just enough belly at the tip for the occasional rock chopping.

renj.jpg

v5ml.jpg

Back