Cold bluing my Mini-Jungle

A few disclaimers:

If you are looking for a show quality finish, this isn't it. There is no way, that I know of, to make cold bluing look as good as a hot bluing job.

Cold bluing is not as durable as hot bluing. Be prepared to touch up the finish often.

The Chemicals are bad for your health.

If I haven't discuraged you yet, then get a beer and a cigar, and i'll tell you how I went about it. There are several ways to skin this cat, but this is how I do cold bluing, if some one has a better way please share it.

1. READ and FOLLOW any safty precautions that come with your bluing chemicals.

2. Throughly degrease your knife, I use Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber for this. This is basicly spray brake cleaner. Wipe the cleaner off while it is still liquid, I use paper towels.

3. Buff the blade with fine steel wool, I use 0000.

4. Degrease again. Note any time you touch the blade with your fingers, you need to degrease.

5. Apply an even coat of the bluing solution. I like cotton balls for this, but paper towels or Q-tips will work. Let it sit on the blade for the recommended time, usually 30-60 seconds.

6. Remove the bluing solution. The paste I used says to wipe it off with a clean towel, but I have found that washing the blade off in hot water gives better results. Dry when done.

7. Buff the first coat with the steel wool, try to get as even a finish as you can. The cold blue is very soft so don't over polish, especially at edges, just try to even it out.

8. Wash and dry like before.

9. Repeat steps 5-8 for a total of 3 or 4 coats.

10. Use the rust protectant of your choice, I use Sheath.

11. The finish will start to harden in about 24 hrs. I like to wait 24-48hrs, then I repeat the whole process.

For this project I used Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue Paste, which I had left over from touching up my IPSC gun sights. I have had better results from a Hoppe's kit, but this is what I had on hand. I did get some blue streaks in the finish, which I think I can polish out in a few days, after it has hardend. The brass bolster and inlays were discolored by the paste, but when I buffed the blade, they shined up nicely. In fact they look really good against the blued blade, and I wish there was more of it.

When all else fails, read the directions on the package.

My M-J is a little more "woods friendly" now that the blade is darkened, which was my objective. If I decide later on that I want it polished, all I need to do is polish it with some Flitz metal polish, this and a little elbow grease will remove cold bluing.

I'll try to get some pictures of the M-J this weekend if I can, but it pretty much looks like the picture in the new Photo gallery. Great idea Blackdog!

If you have any questions or comments, please post them.

p1445

Wow I made senior member on that post. It sure was long. I am too lazy to go back and change the spelling errors, so I hope it doesn't bother any one.

p1445

If you heat the blade to where it just sizzels,it comes out better.I don`t think that the handle would be damaged,but I haven`t tried it.

I find Oxpho blue from Brownell`s to be the best.It will scratch.One idea is to remove the blue,which would leave it in the engraving.I would make a nice highlight.

Ghost: why don't you try it on your engraved SN1? I think it'd be a beaut!

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I mailed Blackdog three photos yesterday, hopefully he can scan them into the photo-album. One shows the streaking I got using the bluing paste. It should make for some good discussion. One of these days I'll breakdown and buy a digital camera, which will make projects like this easier to explain.

p1445

There no reason that you could not put a gold wash in the engraving.Enlaying gold wire would be more difficult.It won`t wear off.It takes a 6V batt.to electroplate it.Brownell`s.A nickle base will help it bond.

Now we can discuss the cons of cold bluing.

Photo #1
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=104694&a=890558&p=13341331

The background is too dark, and distracting in this photo, but you can see how well the brass is accented by the dark blade. I hope the WWIII has a lot of brass in the decorations, it will look really sharp if it does.(sorry about the pun, I couldn't help it.)

Photo #2
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=104694&a=890558&p=13341332
This photo needs some fill flash in a bad way, but the light shows the "blue haze" that is on some of the blade. It is only noticable in bright light, hot bluing will be a lot more even. I could have buffed this out and put another coat of blue on it, but I am not real happy with the paste I was using, so it will have to wait until I get some liquid.

Photo #3
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=104694&a=890558&p=13341333

Again, poor background, but I rather like the afternoon sun on the handle. The rose wood is a great choice, and looks good. This photo shows the flaws in the blue the best. The light verticle streaks are from the first coat I put on the blade. I applied the paste directly on the blade on this coat, and I would have to have removed this initial coat of bluing to completly get the streaks out. I thought more coats would even this streaking out but it didn't. I guess the lesson here is to put the bluing on a cotton ball or a wadded up piece of paper towel, then apply it to the blade. Again, liquid bluing gives better results, and hot bluing is even better.

Overall I am pleased with the results, although I think I might have the blade bead blasted and then reblued with a liquid cold blue.

The WWIII will feature hot bluing, which is a better finish than cold bluing and should not exibit the defects that my cold bluing has.

p1445

There must be Warriors here.We have always personalized our weapons.My weapons are the best that money can buy,and engraved.They are not throwaways.My shotguns,alone are worth more than two years pay for an 0-6.

Question for Ghostsix and P1445:

Ghostsix, you mention heating the blade prior to applying the cold blue. P1445, you mention rinsing with hot water after the application. Would heating the blade in boiling water before application then rinsing with boiling water afterwards be of any benefit to the texture or uniformity of the finish?

I would think that boiling water is one way to get the entire blade heated to the same temperature from tip to cho without hot spots. I have no idea what effect, if any, the boiling water rinse would have on the outcome.

I know nothing about the use of cold blue and am trying to learn as much as I can before making an attempt at it. I'm already most of the way there thanks to you both.

Blackdog

------------------
Visit the GH Forum Photo gallery at: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=890558
See a quick view of the Gurkha House Line-up http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=896858

Ghostsix,

I was wondering if you have photos of some of your engraved pieces (knives or firearms)that you would let me post on the Forum Gallery. I know many of us would enjoy seeing them, even if it does make us jealous as hell.

I can only imagine what type of magnificent weaponry you have secured in your lair.

Blackdog

------------------
Visit the GH Forum Photo gallery at: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=890558
See a quick view of the Gurkha House Line-up http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=104694&a=896858

Blackdog,

I would hesitate to put that much heat on the knife, because the glue used to hold the handle on may release at high temps.

I suggest rinsing the knife off in hot water prior to appling a coat of bluing. I don't know the chemistry(i.e. chemical reaction) that takes place during the bluing, but I do know that for some reason heating the steel will give a better result. It would be interesting to see how various heats will affect the bluing. I just run the tap until it is good and hot, and then go with that. Ghostsix seems to recommend a much higher heat than what I usually use, and I am interested in tring his method. From what I can gather, Ghostsix knows his stuff, and I would be inclined to trust his judgement. Perhaps rinsing the blade between coats with boiling water will do the trick? Ghostsix, please let us know your thoughts here.

Brownells sells a cold blue called "44/40", I have heard many good things about this stuff, and I am going to use this for my next project.

I don't remember if I covered this last time, but you need to polish the blade with fine steel wool(00 or finer) before you blue it. It's kind of like acid etching aluminium prior to alodining it. It cleans the surface, and presents an oxide free surface for the bluing process to occur. Of course if you wanted a matte finish you could glass bead the blade, then blue it.

Ghostsix, or anyone else, your comments or questions are more than welcome.

p1445

www.brownells.com

Ghostsix,

I am only an armchair warrior, I love history, especially military history, but I have never served. It is sad that today such concepts as duty and honor are despised by the mainstream. If it wasn't for warriors making the world safe for civiallians, society could not exist.

I have a Ruger #1 in 45/70 that just screams out for engraving, and one of these days I'll be able to afford to have it done. I would be very pleased if you could share some photos of your engraved firearms with us.

p1445

P1445: I just saw your pics for the first time (I was at drill weekend this weekend), and wow! Very, very nice. You have the only blued Gurkha House khukuri - for now!

As for the discussion about heating the knife, the laha that the kamis use to affix the handles to the tangs tends (so I am told, I have never heated a khukuri before to that point) to soften more easily than say, an epoxy would. I think this week I'll take the Cliff Stamp Bhojpure and play with temperature to see what the melting point is of the laha.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I`ve used a propane ,or butane torch,and flamed the spot to be browned ,or blued to sizzel.I don`t know the temp.Himalyan epoxy bubbles at about 230 degs.You shouldn`t get in any trouble.If you get it to hot,just hold it vertical until it cools.What`s the problem?.

Back