Cold Steel's new 2024 knives. I didn't see this coming!

That "Swift lll" is certainly an odd duck ! o_O

I'll wait for some decent reviews on the new stuff ...and some big price drops . :eek:

Carbon fiber is not my fav handle material , especially the slick kind .

Yea I honestly think some of the new designs are just getting kinda goofy. A lot of them seem like higher quality, impractical, World of Warcraft wall hangers. Like especially the Mayhem.

Plus if you had to use it in self defense.. can you imagine a prosecutor holding that up to a jury in a court... I wouldn't want to be on the opposite side of that.

I know this is supposed to be the land of the free, but we all know how things really work these days.

I took out my box of old Cold Steel knives a couple of days ago and looked through them. All are brand new Voyagers (with AUS8A blades) and a Recon 1 and two Pro-Lites (440A) and some others. These were back in the day when its knives are very light in the pocket. I have a couple of 6-inch Voyagers and a couple of the really great, 6-inch toothy Vaqueo Grandes.

The awesome Vaquero Grande (top) and the double-sided Peacemaker 1. The Vaquero Grande not only struck fear into any street criminal, it was lightweight and dang near indestructible!

The Pro-Lite 4-inch models are a bit chunky compared to today's models, but they are beautiful.

Now we're in 2024 and it's really too bad that Cold Steel doesn't resurrect some of the classic 6-inchers and the wonderful Pro-Lites. I've never really grown to love the current Voyagers, though I have several. They are too big, too heavy and too strong — and I miss the mirror bright polished blades.

Voyager XL (top) and Vaquero (large).

Voyager 5-inch (top), Gunsite, Voyager (large) and Buck Alaskan w/S30V.

On the plus side, I love Cold Steel's heat treat. The 440A steel in other knives I've bought is horrible, disgustingly mediocre and almost impossible to sharpen. But the Cold Steel knives (Pro-Lite, Night Force, Recon-1) were superb. The 440A Recon-1 with the axis lock was the only knife I ever owned that was sharp enough to knick me right out of the box! Years ago, Cold Steel bought a huge slab of the stuff at a price it couldn't refuse. Some of the CS staff was against the purchase, but Lynn Thompson jumped on it. I talked to one of the guys who were against it at the time. But when I got a Dark Force in a plain edge to try, yeah, it was a bit clunky when opening, but that 440A
could take one of the sharpest edges of any knife I'd ever seen and frankly, I couldn't tell any difference in edge-holding between it and AUS8A. And when I cut a bunch of cardboard with it, the blade came roaring back after only only a few swipes on my sharpener to restore its hair-popping edge.

I love Cold Steel, but I think they need to stop building tanks and go back to building lightweight knives that are strong, durable and attractive. I also wish CS would stop trying to pass off its stone washed finish as being somehow superior or more desirable than polished. YES, I realize many people prefer stone wash finishes on their knives, but there are also many of us who prefer mirror polished blades. Going through my old Cold Steel knives, I'd forgotten just how beautiful polished blades are.

The recent CS serrated Spartan has a very nice finish. It's not highly polished, but it's far more beautiful (IMHO). I would love to see another production run of the Vaquero Grande in AUS10A w/wave feature.

That Swift in M4 looks good ill definitely get that …

Back