consensus on swiss army knives?

browsing around the forums i dont see much discussion about them. i never go out without my trusty swiss army knife in my pocket. can't tell you how many times its come in handy. not too big to weigh down your pockets or get annoying on your belt all day but big enough to get most around the house jobs done. if i'm going fishing or camping i'l trade up for something bigger but just day to day you can't go wrong

They get plenty of love here. I have an Explorer Plus in my pocket every day.

I've been carrying my Tinker lately. Getting to the point where I forget it's in my pocket. I was thinking of getting a lightweight Bantam, but the folks in the Multi-tool forum have me thinking about scissors now! :rolleyes:

browsing around the forums i dont see much discussion about them. i never go out without my trusty swiss army knife in my pocket. can't tell you how many times its come in handy. not too big to weigh down your pockets or get annoying on your belt all day but big enough to get most around the house jobs done. if i'm going fishing or camping i'l trade up for something bigger but just day to day you can't go wrong

I think the thing is that so much of the discussions center on the virtues of the various tactical liner/body lock knives, that the basic pocket knife gets lost in the mix.

IMO, choice of pocket knife is a funny thing that sits at the cross roads of Function Avenue and Emotional Lane.

I prefer the US (Ulster, Imperial, etc...) Camper knives over the SAK knives, but that has something to do with my childhood I suppose. I have a non-BSA Ulster that looks something like this:
boyscout.jpg

But lately, the EDC pocket knife that get's carried almost all the time is a Schrade 5OT like this:
schrade_5ot.jpg

It's very thin and light and, truth be told, I almost never have need for tools like on my Ulster Camper or any of the SAKs. As a bonus, the lock back is so sturdy that I end up pushing that knife into use that I wouldn't consider doing with a basic slip joint knife.

The point is to carry what you love.

Amongst the many, my favourites are the Huntsman Plus and the alox Pioneer Harvester. I have a Scibeer Farmer with scissors, which is sublime, and a 1940-ish Soldier, which is rather more so :)

I've been carrying my Tinker lately. Getting to the point where I forget it's in my pocket. I was thinking of getting a lightweight Bantam, but the folks in the Multi-tool forum have me thinking about scissors now! :rolleyes:
same one i've got. i love it. a friend gave it to me as a gift when i graduated high school

Hi frankenfish -

I notice quite a bit of discussion about Victorinox and Wenger knives.

I never leave the house without my trusty Vic Waiter.

best regards

mqqn

Have you seen the new Wenger Evowood ones. Very nice.

Looked at one properly in an outdoor store a couple of weeks back. I was pretty impressed, and really didn't expect to be

I've always got at least one slipjoint sak on me & when I'm in the wilds I carry a lock blade champ as a backup,
They're not made of the best steel, but I find it more than adequate for all my small tasks.

They are so damn useful that they often get taken for granted. Like a comfortable "worn in" pair of shoes or pants, you use and trust them so much that it's just a subconscious thing. My favorite EDC is my Compact.

Vic ALOX Soldier in my pocket, every day. Gets more use than my other EDC's. Always pair it up with my s60v Blur.

I was given my first SAK by an uncle I visited in Germany at the age of 12. I've had too many to remember over the intervening 33 years, and I've long settled on the Ranger (which has everything I use regularly), along with a fixed blade if possible, for EDC. I really wish they'd make their plastic-scaled knives with optional aluminum scales and stainless steel liners for improved reliability. As much as I value them, they're somewhat disposable with a lifetime of 5 years or so, if used regularly.

my EDC when in the office or around town is a Wenger s10, my pocket carry when hiking, camping, backpacking is a Vic Huntsman. I love SAK's

I own 4 and rotate them all. I prefer the ones that have a saw but I carry any. They are a great knife!:thumbup:

My first SAK was a Climber. I found it while out on a demo range and It had someone's name engraved on the side. I had never really given them much thought before then, but I quickly discovered how useful they are. Since then It never left my pocket.
Well a few months later I ended up meeting a guy while I was deployed in Afghanistan and I knew his name looked familiar. I later realized his name was the one engraved on my beloved SAK. I asked him about it and he was so excited to see it, turns out his wife had bought it for him for his birthday a few years ago. I gave it back to him and he was so thankful that I did. I was sad to see it go, but it sure felt good to be able to return a long lost knife.
I haven't purchased a replacement yet, its been on my to-do list but just haven't got around to it yet. They sure are sweet little tools, this thread just rekindled my SAK love. :D

Back