consensus on swiss army knives?

I love my Tinker, I carry it on me every day. There's so much it has to offer in such a little package and the quality is outstanding!

Great thread! I normally carry either a Tinker or a Recruit but carry a Camper when hiking or camping. I just ordered a Hiker and a Farmer. Can't seem to stop buying em

Sent from my Ally

I've had a Fieldmaster for at least 25 years. My son's buddy was at the house a couple weeks ago showing off the Huntsman he got for Christmas. I pulled out my Huntsman (which I've had only a few years), and also my Fieldmaster to show him. He immediately wished his girlfriend had given him the Fieldmaster instead of the Huntsman, as he finds the phillips screwdriver much more useful than the corkscrew.

When I told him it was 25 years old he was shocked. He thought I got it a year or two ago!

Last edited:
I see the Fieldmaster/Huntsman (or more generally the phillips/corkscrew) quandry as kind of a wash. Being a long time Tinker carrier, I was biased toward the phillips until I started carrying a Climber and Camper. Having used the corkscrew to untie knots, I became convinced it's a useful tool. And having screwed in phillips screws with the flat driver on the combo tool, I also became convinced that even a Spartan/Climber/Camper/Huntsman can get the job done 95% of the time, and the rest of the time having a real phillips head screwdriver is prerable.

OTOH, I've also used the Tinker phillips head to untie knots. It works ... not as well as the corkscrew, but it will get the job done. So I think it's a wash.

The main kicker is if you drink wine, I think, in which case the Spartan/Climber/Camper/Huntsman family really is the best option.

My Great Grandfather used the ever livin' crap outta' his Wenger, I recently inherited it but I'll never use it. Since I got "Papa's" SAK a few weeks ago It got me thinking I should make my Tinker my dedicated EDC. I'd like to find the smaller version of the Tinker, it seems more pocket friendly.

Eric

DSCN1789.jpg
This is really cool! Looks like there's a lot of memories in that knife
Got anymore pictures of it?
Thanks for posting

I carry an old Imperial similar to Pinnah's Mine has the red body, but the blade/tools are the same. Have carried it in my pocket for a LONG time. Now, it's usually accompanied by my Coast C5899 in a belt sheath.
Mark

Back