Cosmos at the Blade Show?

Yes it's true. I can't promise but there is a very good chance we will have a production proto of the Cosmos on display.

I know a lot of you (me included) have been waiting a while for the release of Ray Appleton's first production collaboration piece. Thanks for your patience and we look forward to see you in Atlanta.

By the way, if any of you feel like posting any replys or new topics in this forum we'd like to hear from you. It's been pretty quiet lately.

Note that we only accept positive posts. All negative posts will result in the thread being locked and deleted.
tongue.gif
Heh Heh!

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

Hey Darrel, I didn't know you big name custom makers bought production knives!
smile.gif

But seriously, are the other new models (Impulse, Paragee, Carson, etc) going to be on display too?

Jon

What about the new might-be-called-neck-knife-Impulse-project? Will it be there? At the Blade Show..?

David, this is great, another reason to be mad I'm not getting to go to Blade show. I'm really excited about the release of the Cosmos. When do you expect them to be in production? Are we BladeForums members going to have a shot at First Production Run? What is your best guess for MSRP ($$$)?

Have you given up on trying to make it into Chat?

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
Homepage: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=254126

Phill, Phill, Phill:

So many questions yet no concrete answers at this time. Delivery, I hope before year end. Price, my target is $150-200 MSRP. Can BF members get FPR's, You Betcha. I'll need to go over the details with Mike T. I'm sure we can run them through the "One Stop Wife" I mean "Knife Swap".
smile.gif

Pele:

The fixed blade Impulse is still in development so we won't have it on display at Blade. One think I can say it going to be a very cool knife. Delivery will be early 2001. As soon as I can release more details on this project you guys will be the first to know. BTW if you guys can think of a good name for this model let me know.

[This message has been edited by David Bloch (edited 05-26-2000).]

David, thanks for responding, I hope everything works out according to plan. I'm not an expert so this is just a guess, but I think the Cosmos is going to be the Knife of the Year, in whatever year you bring it out in.
Darrel Ralph wants one. Tim Herman wants one, and is willing to do the Ads for it (hey how about a Herman colaboration next?) Having Ray Appleton's name on a colaboration with OE is a major coup for you. And a one in a lifetime chance for most of us to own something with his name on it. This has been like a year wait for a custom knife, and I know it'll be worth it.

It would be great to see you in the Chat Room.
I hope the Cosmos knocks 'em dead at Blade.

If O.E./Edge-Tech can successfully translate a Ray Appleton design into a middle-class production knife, and do the same thing with a Kouji Hara folder, all sorts of possibilities in Cutting-Edge Sculpture come to mind.

Maybe a fixed blade dagger (executive letter opener) by Wolfgang Loerchner? Or the Tim Herman Sliver, maybe a small version done up as a pendant?

Speaking of the devil ... There was a knife in that unofficial Cosmos ad?
wink.gif

Now, if you did an ad that showed an elegant knife in the possession of a good looking woman who is fully clothed for mainstream media, it might help expand the market. A knife can be done up to be arguably as pretty as conventional jewelry in a similar price range, and so much more useful!
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

James I hope this meets with your approval.

View

David, an Ad in Cosmo might not be a bad idea.

David,

COOL put me down for 2 when available
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by HermanKnives (edited 05-28-2000).]

Jim, we think alike. Wolfgang Lorchner has always been on my Top 10 list of custom makers and an even tie with Ray as my favorite art knife maker. A future Lorchner collab? I have thought about this for some time and would welcome the opportunity. I also have had my eye on Tim's Sliver ever since I saw this model at the last San Diego AKI show. Sorry Tim I never got the chance to make an introduction, but every time I stopped by you were chewing the fat with people that can actually afford your knives. We can make up for this next week in Atlanta.

There are still several challenges ahead to bring Koji's and Ray's knives to fruition. Before I get over my head we need to first bring to to market top quality production versions of these models. Once these are up and running I look forward to adding new designs to our custom art knife range. It is a sector of the market very few are tapping.

Also a classy looking babe with clothes on for an actual Cosmos ad.
redface.gif
Sounds like a good idea to me.
smile.gif
Perhaps I can contract you and Tim for our this ad. Tim picks the babe and you pick the clothes to put on her.

Also thanks Phill for the encouraging words on taking on the Cosmos project. We also are thinking alike and it is an honor for Ray to offer us the opportuntiy to produce the Cosmos. As far as IRC I have just about gievn up trying. I think the problem is my K-Mart quality ISP. I've loaded the program several times and each time I get "Unable to Connect to Server"
tongue.gif

Take care all and have a "Great Memorial Day Weekend".
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by David Bloch (edited 05-27-2000).]

David,

i look forward to meeting you in atlanta
smile.gif

i too am sorry we didnt connect in san diego.

if you are serious about helping with ads, i was in advertising art for 20 years as an airbrush illustrator. i would love to help out.

tim

Can not wait to see it David and I more than understand if it happens not to be ready. Whatever the case glad to see it moving along.
I know you have been working on this for quite a while. I remember you having the original version in Atlanta almost a year and a half ago at the Shot Show. (How could I forget handling an Appleton!)

I am sure it will be worth the wait.
See ya next week.
Gus

------------------
" I am continually reminded of the rewards of dealing with custom knife makers and the custom knife community." Jeff J.

James, here ya go...PG rated. quite the pair eh
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by HermanKnives (edited 05-28-2000).]

Now we're getting somewhere!
smile.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Though for mainstream real life advertising, especially if we want to sell the knives to women, we should probably get the model a better quality suit that didn't shrink in the wash, so she can button up.
biggrin.gif

As a very married grandpa, I'm reminded of a cautionary joke I heard ...

A couple have been married for umpteen years, and it's Wife's 40th birthday. So Husband says, in jest, "Honey, now that you're 40, maybe I could trade you in on two 20's." And Wife says, "But dear, you're not wired for 220!"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

David if you could pull off colaborations with Appleton, Lorchner and Tim Herman, you would have an unbeatable lineup, for a market that no other manufacturer is even touching. Besides giving us working stiff a chance to own these works of art, that would be impossible for us to own any other way. I thank you for your efforts, and wish you much success.

Glad to see you finally did make it into Chat.
wink.gif

Phill:

Glad I made it into Chat to finally. It was a real PIA.

I'm a working stiff too so I look forward to being able to own as well as have manufactured knives from several of the top custom art knife makers. I can't afford to own the original versions either since they command such a handsome and justifiable price. Definately a fun, new direction for Edge-Tech. I only hope that now that I spilled the beans on these makers some other factory doesn't snag them up first. Perhaps I should delete the thread but it would be a waiste of so much effort and beauty on Tim's part.

To Jim, I agree the suit is a bit shrunk but I believe we could put her in a potato sack and it would still sell knives. Also Tim, I think it's pretty cool we have an ad for the Sliver and I haven't met or even talked to you yet. Heh Heh
smile.gif

Oh BTW, I just found out that Ray and Ron Appleton have a table at the Blade Show. Ray has three knives completed and I believe Ron will have a few for sale. Being able to handle three or more Appleton creations at one time is a rare treat. Another reason to be sorry you can't make it Phill
tongue.gif
. Make it a plan for next year. If you have not been to Blade before you owe it to yourself as a knifenut.

[This message has been edited by David Bloch (edited 05-27-2000).]

Seriously, I can enjoy the sight of a lady who's younger than my marriage falling out of her clothes, and indulge a "sinful thought" or three, but . . .

The "babe" in an ad for a knife that she - and a customer in her place - would wear proudly, as a thing of beauty and a convenience forever, should be a woman who is both attractive and absolutely respectable, who might as easily show up in an ad for high-quality watch.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 05-28-2000).]

Hey, if you guys can come up with an artfully designed pocket knife and the accompanying woman-friendly (not friendly-woman) advertising I'll be eternally grateful! I could finally convince my wife that a) she needs a real pocket knife, and b) she can finally give me my Leatherman Micra back.
smile.gif

Jon

Back