Coup Coup Machete

photostream
I have one but it looks like its been in a fire

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76611762@N07/7024852753/in/photostream

I bought one of those back in the mid-70's and to me it looked like it was a fairly new made one. I gave it away to one of my Team Sergeants as it was thick and heavy and I did not want to carry all that weight.

Collins used to make them up to the '50s, in this style.

What would you think of a 5mm thick condor version?

If anyone has one, can I borrow it to get measurements off of it. I can't imagine that it isn't pull tapered or flat ground

Collins used to make them up to the '50s, in this style.

What would you think of a 5mm thick condor version?

I was wondering if some inspiration would come of this. ;):thumbup:

Would make a nice compact heavy chopper as well as, essentially, a froe/machete hybrid for wood processing.

Last edited:
took a moment and measured mine
20.5 overall
14.5 cutting edge
6 for the handle

a hair over 3/16 thickness at the spine the entire length of the blade
full flat grind, 3/32 right above the edge bevel

their is a pic of mine on the first page, i have since taken the handle off.
i think i would call it a mortised tang, because it ran the length of the handle but didn't run the depth of it.right?
the funny thing with the handle is the tang is flat gound the same as the rest of the blade.
maybe i'll get it rehandled this spring.

took a moment and measured mine
20.5 overall
14.5 cutting edge
6 for the handle

a hair over 3/16 thickness at the spine the entire length of the blade
full flat grind, 3/32 right above the edge bevel

their is a pic of mine on the first page, i have since taken the handle off.
i think i would call it a mortised tang, because it ran the length of the handle but didn't run the depth of it.right?
the funny thing with the handle is the tang is flat gound the same as the rest of the blade.
maybe i'll get it rehandled this spring.

They probably hot-rolled the stock to create the flat "grind" rather than actually grinding it in. Then when you blank it all you have to do is slap the handle on it and sharpen it.

Looks like the same type of mortise tang that Tramontina uses.

not a zombie thread yet, finally rehandled mine changed some of the handle a bit. Hope i didn't ruin it. feels great in the hand, and chops down with force. I did what i could with what i had at my skill level.
need to give it a final edge and redo to the sheath a bit, I'll give it a run in the woods soon enough.
a bit of change if you look at the picks on the first page.
SANY2462.jpg

SANY2463.jpg

SANY2458.jpg

SANY2464.jpg

I have one but the handle is cracked,haven't seen one yet where the handle is not cracked-wonder if joezilla still needs one for measurements?

Back